• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I never use the magwell as a grip. I never shoot AR's unless it is a couple of rounds out of a friend's. I Just like the looks of it, and what I suppose it represents. Molon Labe!

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The article basically admitted that they are trying to choke out the manufacturers by denying access to a credit line. The small time manufactures and the small time banks slipped through the blockade to fill the vacuum. The shaming didn't work.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The article basically admitted that they are trying to choke out the manufacturers by denying access to a credit line. The small time manufactures and the small time banks slipped through the blockade to fill the vacuum. The shaming didn't work.

I wonder how they'd feel if newspapers, TV, and radio was prevented from using banks.
    Cash only transactions. For subscriptions or paychecks.

Okay. Not really. I know how they'd react.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Washington state raises age for assault rifle purchases to 21

Alternate headline: Washington State Defies US Constitution
    18 is an arbitrary number. 21 is just another arbitrary number. if firearm purchases can be restricted from 18 year olds, and that’s constitutional, it’s not so easy to make the case that 21 is unconstitutional. The thing that is poopy about this is that the move won’t solve the problem. It’s a problem whose solution is far from the realm of gun control. Sometimes a hammer breaks the thing they want to be a nail.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    18 is an arbitrary number. 21 is just another arbitrary number. if firearm purchases can be restricted from 18 year olds, and that’s constitutional, it’s not so easy to make the case that 21 is unconstitutional. The thing that is poopy about this is that the move won’t solve the problem. It’s a problem whose solution is far from the realm of gun control. Sometimes a hammer breaks the thing they want to be a nail.
    Plus the fact that they already cannot buy a handgun or ammunition for one from a FFL.

The differences between what an 18 year and a 21 year old are allowed to do are silly. It still irks me that an 18 year old can join the military, carry an actual assault rifle, and lose their life for their country, but they are not allowed to drink alcohol, buy cigarettes in many places, and have restrictions on being able to buy guns and ammunition.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Plus the fact that they already cannot buy a handgun or ammunition for one from a FFL.

The differences between what an 18 year and a 21 year old are allowed to do are silly. It still irks me that an 18 year old can join the military, carry an actual assault rifle, and lose their life for their country, but they are not allowed to drink alcohol, buy cigarettes in many places, and have restrictions on being able to buy guns and ammunition.

Just commenting on just the age of adulthood... I think it's fine that we come to a consensus on a minimum age where a person is considered an adult, legally. We've pretty much settled on 18 for that. And it should be across the board. If a person is mature enough to hand a rifle and put on the front lines in an armed conflict, that person is mature enough to be considered an adult, period. Granted, there's a lot of personal growth involved in the journey to the front line with rifle in hand. Nevertheless, I think we should be consistent. You're either an adult at 18 or you're not. Maybe the age should be 21. So make the case and change it across the board.

All these things that 18 year old's can't do pretty much amounts to social engineering. I mean that in the sense of the term before it became known as a type of information security exploit. It doesn't appear to me that targeting age groups for things to ban changes behavior, at least the way they intended. I couldn't legally buy cigarettes when I first started smoking. Obviously it didn't stop me from starting. Having a non-conformist personality, the prohibition probably contributed to me starting a habit that took me until I was 34 to stop.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Just commenting on just the age of adulthood... I think it's fine that we come to a consensus on a minimum age where a person is considered an adult, legally. We've pretty much settled on 18 for that. And it should be across the board. If a person is mature enough to hand a rifle and put on the front lines in an armed conflict, that person is mature enough to be considered an adult, period. Granted, there's a lot of personal growth involved in the journey to the front line with rifle in hand. Nevertheless, I think we should be consistent. You're either an adult at 18 or you're not. Maybe the age should be 21. So make the case and change it across the board.

All these things that 18 year old's can't do pretty much amounts to social engineering. I mean that in the sense of the term before it became known as a type of information security exploit. It doesn't appear to me that targeting age groups for things to ban changes behavior, at least the way they intended. I couldn't legally buy cigarettes when I first started smoking. Obviously it didn't stop me from starting. Having a non-conformist personality, the prohibition probably contributed to me starting a habit that took me until I was 34 to stop.

I’m old enough to remember the hullabaloo over age requirements on voting, drinking, etc in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. I grew up in Iowa and turned 18 the year the State dropped the “drinking” age from 21 to 19. (Think voting went to 18 about the same time time.). Then the next year the legislature further dropped the “drinking” age to 18. Then sometime in the 1980’s (I think) the Feds coerced all States to go to 21 on pain of losing Federal highway funding.

Anyway, my freshman year at college I had to be surreptitious in my alcohol purchases and bar visits until I turned 19, a month before the 18 legal age went into effect. Then that fall it was a blast watching all the drunk freshmen stumble around the campus town, bar to bar. Especially the cool-eds!

Ah, yes! The irrationality of it all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

The pen is mightier than the sword.
    So, if you can't buy a gun, you shouldn't be able to vote.
    At least in actaeon's world.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That is actually a good point.

Yet, those that want to stop people under 21 from buying guns want to lower the voting age to 16.

That's because 16-18 is more demographically sympathetic to Democrats. It's about party dominance, not an actual belief that 16 year olds are all that mature and rationally minded that they'd be responsible voters.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I’m old enough to remember the hullabaloo over age requirements on voting, drinking, etc in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. I grew up in Iowa and turned 18 the year the State dropped the “drinking” age from 21 to 19. (Think voting went to 18 about the same time time.). Then the next year the legislature further dropped the “drinking” age to 18. Then sometime in the 1980’s (I think) the Feds coerced all States to go to 21 on pain of losing Federal highway funding.

Anyway, my freshman year at college I had to be surreptitious in my alcohol purchases and bar visits until I turned 19, a month before the 18 legal age went into effect. Then that fall it was a blast watching all the drunk freshmen stumble around the campus town, bar to bar. Especially the cool-eds!

Ah, yes! The irrationality of it all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1983 was when they started raising the drinking age to 21. In WI if you were 18 on or before June 30, 1983 you could drink. 18 on July 1 1983 you had to wait until you were 19. Within few years it was 21. I was in high school and remember people complaining.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Good for them! Screw these damn politicians and their bs laws. I want to see the writers of these laws have to be the ones to enforce them

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    That is actually a good point.

Yet, those that want to stop people under 21 from buying guns want to lower the voting age to 16.

I dont think 50% of 16 year olds aren't mature enough to drive....let alone vote.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    As the saying goes: If you are young and are not a Democrat, it means you don't have a heart. If you are older and are not a Republican, it means you don't have a brain...

Top Bottom