• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't get it. I mean I understand that the police officials think this will prevent crime; in the same way that I understand how people used to think that the world was flat. But what is the "reasoning" of the people turning in these guns? The current owners of the guns either own them legally, or not.
    If they're owned legally, then the only way that the guns would end up in the wrong hands is if the former owners put them there.
    If the guns are already owned by criminals, why would you turn it in for a one time payout when you can keep sticking up people indefinitely?
    It's hard for me to imagine one day trying to get rid of a gun and not finding a buyer for it. But if even if I couldn't, I'm not about to take it downtown and start taking bids.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There are lots of people who own guns who don't want them and don't have any idea how to get rid of them, or even if it's legal for them to own them. Old Abe dies and his 80-year-old wife is left with a couple of pistols that she's scared to death of. She hears this no-questions-asked buy-back and sees an opportunity to unload without fear of arrest for possessing "unregistered guns".

The anti's like to use the buybacks as a feel-good publicity stunt so they can claim that they're "making a difference" and "cleaning up the city".

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    These buyback programs are NOT what so many think. They are NOT about preventing crime or reducing violence. Not at all.

They are all about a low-cost way to make the community FEEL good about something. It is MUCH cheaper to buy a few broken down guns than it is to actually FIX THE PROBLEMS. For a few hundred dollars, this group gets TV airtime, community good will, and a chance to feel that they made a difference (however minute).

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Reporter: "Organizer say they are also trying to keep the guns out of the hands of children and out of the hands of felons as well."

So once you bring it onto the property and become a felon, they will take it out of your hands.

Reporter: "Anyone turning in a gun, you must show identification."

Later: "Again, they are not asking any questions about who is turning in a gun."

Yeah, other than identification.... :n00b:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If I wasn't gonna be in Jasper this weekend for a friend's wedding, I'd totally take a couple hundred in cash and snipe some of these guns as they go in.

Gotta love the comments on the article...
    What a joke. The guns that get turned in during this kind of program don't even work. The people who turn in the guns take the $50 and buy a Glock with a 30 round clip. This will most certainly increase the number of homicides around Indy.

I wanna know where to get a Glock with a 30 round mag for $50... :dunno: will $50 even get a 30-rd mag for a glock?

See, you're looking at it all wrong. Think 'marketing', man! It's not a "broken safety", it's a "fully-functional, extreme-danger selector". "You thought a .22 was a pistol for pansies? This .22 packs a punch! Now 75% more dangerous than any other .22 on the market!"

Its a Jennings.. that already makes it 75% more dangerous than any other .22 on the market.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Did you notice that the "gun" in the background of the poster is a clip art flare launcher?

Can you get flare launchers for less than $50?

I think you see where I'm going with this...

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Did you notice that the "gun" in the background of the poster is a clip art flare launcher?

Can you get flare launchers for less than $50?

I think you see where I'm going with this...

darn you, here I got all excited thinking I was the one who got to point that out and you went and beat me to it. I'd shake my fist if it mattered.

JimmyJames

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Just passin through
    There is a gun buy back scheduled for July 14 at Noon. Can't find anything online about it yet and didn't catch the location, some charter school on the NE side.........just saw it on WTHR 13 news. Anyone with more info, post it up please, these are a good way to get cheap guns!

Don't buy too close to a school or you might get in trouble.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These buyback programs are NOT what so many think. They are NOT about preventing crime or reducing violence. Not at all.

They are all about a low-cost way to make the community FEEL good about something. It is MUCH cheaper to buy a few broken down guns than it is to actually FIX THE PROBLEMS. For a few hundred dollars, this group gets TV airtime, community good will, and a chance to feel that they made a difference (however minute).

Sounds like the definition of "Liberals"

All squishy and feel good. Like Pi$$ing your pants in a dark suit...Nice warm feeling that makes absolutely no difference....well, except for the smell.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Chicago had a gun buy back a couple of weekends ago. I think I seen that they collected about 5500 guns in that buy back. I was shocked at the number. Doesn't seem to be working to reduce crime there though.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just saw the article on WTHR and I can't believe these mental midgets actually think criminals will line up to turn in their weapons, and suddenly become honest productive citizens.

But it's for the children!!!!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Chicago had a gun buy back a couple of weekends ago. I think I seen that they collected about 5500 guns in that buy back. I was shocked at the number. Doesn't seem to be working to reduce crime there though.

Yep, there's no truth in the news anymore. Honest citizens without guns,
    Hmmmm.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are lots of people who own guns who don't want them and don't have any idea how to get rid of them, or even if it's legal for them to own them. Old Abe dies and his 80-year-old wife is left with a couple of pistols that she's scared to death of. She hears this no-questions-asked buy-back and sees an opportunity to unload without fear of arrest for possessing "unregistered guns".

The anti's like to use the buybacks as a feel-good publicity stunt so they can claim that they're "making a difference" and "cleaning up the city".
    That's the main purpose.

One lady that they were interviewing on 13 just now was saying things like, "There's just no reason for people to have guns in their house." Now, given that she more than likely lives in the high crime area that is the focus of this buy-back, I'm thinking to myself, there is EVERY reason that someone (a law-abiding person that is) should have a gun in their house. Sheesh!

They also featured a caller on the Amos Brown radio show that was basically telling the ministers that they were nuts asking people to give up guns and leave themselves defenseless in this area.

"You are promoting gun buy-back to disarm people. That's crazy!" asked [sic] one person. "We are trying to get the young people that have no business with a gun," Girton said.

Yeah... I bet those young gang bangers will be all over this. Who can resist a 50 dollar gift card?!

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know... they've only had 275 homicides so far this year. Just think how many they'd have if the criminals didn't turn in their guns at that buy back! ;)

Top Bottom