• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I was born in the mid 60's. From about age 8-9 on, I was outside (baring a deep freeze or an allergy attack) from breakfast to dinner. We never locked out house or garage up. Would ride for MILES on my 10 speed bike. It's a shame things have changed.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    One of the things that stick out to me is the fact that back then as a kid I could take off on a summer morning and spend all day doing who knows what and no one would think anything of it. No phone, no texting, no contact at all. I just had to be home by dinner if I wanted to eat or be home by dark if I didn't want to get in trouble.

Nowadays, if we can't be in constant contact we have to be worried about what may have happened.

That is so true, kids these days would die if they didnt have cell phones and video games or computers.

As kids we were MADE to go out and play and your imagination was the best thing.

Toys were stronger and lasted for decades.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    That is so true, kids these days would die if they didnt have cell phones and video games or computers.

As kids we were MADE to go out and play and your imagination was the best thing.

Toys were stronger and lasted for decades

I still wish I had my Tonka dump truck back. :( I was the oldest so I didn't get to keep any of my toys. They all got handed down. I had more fun with that metal truck than you can imagine. Rust, sharp edges and all...

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I like the cars of the 30s-50s and some into the 60s. Music was better in the 20s-50s. Style was better/more simple. The change over from everything going from black and white to color would have really been weird though.

I don't think the music was that great from the 20's to the 50's. I like 50's rock and roll, but it's mostly late 50's. Big band doesn't do anything for me. It was better than todays crap though. But give me 58'-78' in music.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I still wish I had my Tonka dump truck back. :( I was the oldest so I didn't get to keep any of my toys. They all got handed down. I had more fun with that metal truck than you can imagine. Rust, sharp edges and all...

Amen....i wasnt the youngest either...so same here.
    That big yellow truck i had hauled a "ton" of dirt and gravel id almost bet on it.
    I even fell out of my bunkbed one night on top of it, i broke the truck didnt....lol

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I don't think the music was that great from the 20's to the 50's. I like 50's rock and roll, but it's mostly late 50's. Big band doesn't do anything for me. It was better than todays crap though. But give me 58'-78' in music.

YOU HEATHEN!!! Rock 'n Roll is the devil's music!!! I'm fine with big band music but Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, and a few others are some of my all time favorites.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I remember having a blast during the Blizzard of " 78 ". Building snow forts and tunnels, 2 weeks out of school. The cartoons were better too. Scooby Doo met The Harlem Globetrotters, The Addams Family, Jonathon Winters, Sonny and Cher, and Batman. My 2 best friends and I pretended to be Charlie's Angels and fought crime on the playground. The Playground was asphalt not mulch. My mom drove a 1970 Impala with rally wheels. She was cool. My dad made us watch Hee Haw...not cool. :D Yeah, the clothes were bad, but we had fun as kids.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The early 70's were a turning point time. Late 60's and early 70's were properous times. Anyone who would crawl out of bed in the morning could make a living. The average lunchbox joe could work his job, pay off a house in 20 years, drive a paid off 4 year old Chevy or Ford, take a couple weeks vacation every year, all while the girl he married stayed home and raised the kids. People respected each other and demanded that the government respected them, at least on the surface. You could actually earn enough money to stop paying Social security tax before labor day. The congressmen did not squander the tax money and there was enough to pay the bills and still improve the infastructure and public parks. AT that time deficit spending was new and they didn't increase the public debt higher than the entire gross domestic product.

There were bad neighborhoods, but you could steer clear of them even in big cities like Chicago or Detroit. Most working class kids could hope for a higher education and to live better than their parents.

The whole country was up in arms and impeached a president that never did any thing against the American people, as a matter of fact he brought us back from the vietnam war that had completely lost any definition of vison or purpose. Nixons campaign people simply got caught playing dirty against the democrats, who do the same thing to this day.
    The country still had a good degree of respect around the world. 1976 brought on jimmy carter, whose incompetence made us the laughing stock of many and his lack of leadership skill allowed a runaway congress to give us 4 solid years of double digit inflation and double digit unemployment. In major cites, even the boss's kid couldn't get a full time job. Higher taxes have continually eaten away at our paychecks, inflation has continued to devalue any buying power out of the little the government has not taken from us, and college graduates are fighting for jobs that high school drop outs would not have taken in 1970.

That is the 1970's I grew up in. Sometimes fun, sometimes harsh, but there was still hope that things would get better.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Party lines ...our telephone number was "Hudson 6-9425" ...party lines, and mom knew what trouble you got into in the neighborhood even before you got home ...telephone time on the radio every morning at 9 ...radio stations that played a little bit of everything. Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner were far better than any cartoons in the last 30 years ..Gunsmoke, Emergency, Dr. Welby, MD, ...and "goodnight, John-boy..."

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yuck! I didn't like bell-bottoms and tie-dyed polyester the FIRST time it was around. The retro stuff just kills me. Don't even get me started on macrame everything!
    Now the 80s on the other hand...I'm pretty much stuck there. And I like it that way. :D

Top Bottom