• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    You guys have a funny notion of what capitalism is. OP said his relative was buying up the ammo before it hit the shelves, which means that the public never had access to it. Though not technically illegal, If this was being done with securities or stocks, it would be called insider trading. And I'm pretty sure if Wal-Mart knew about this certain employee's practices, they'd put an end to it pronto.

Thank you for "reading the post". This is what I was getting at. Someone that's been sitting on a stash for a while now taking advantage of the market, I have no problem with. The one's that wait in line at GM every Thursday just to post on Armslist are the one's/type I can't stand. All it's doing is fueling the hysteria.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Collecting, investing, speculating and exploiting are different things.

Collecting: Buying something you want and perhaps selling it later if your tastes change or you want to fund purchasing another item for the collection. Example: Buying an autographed Purdue basketball because it looked really cool on the shelf but then selling it later to buy the much cooler autographed IU basketball when the opportunity arose. (Reverse if you wish, no accounting for taste)

Investing: Buying something you don't necessarily want to keep, holding it for a period and then selling at a later date as the value has increased. Example: Buy and hold stocks, real estate (that doesn't involve a proposed highway route).

Speculating: Buying something you don't want and flipping it quickly for a profit just because you know someone else does want it. Example: Futures market, short selling.

Exploiting: Taking unfair advantage of a situation to make a profit. Example: Buying ammo at retail (less employee discount?) from your employer before it hits the shelf and then selling it at a significantly higher price because of the shortage you helped create.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Amazing how those who sing the altruistic tune regarding guns and ammo sing a different tune when it comes to food and healthcare.

I agree with this.... Isn't it funny that the people that cry capitalism on this do scream bloody murder when it is gas, food, healthcare etc. You hit it on the head

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I agree with this.... Isn't it funny that the people that cry capitalism on this do scream bloody murder when it is gas, food, healthcare etc. You hit it on the head

The only means the anti gougers have to implement their morals and values is social bullying through venues like this or force of government. They think its terrible that a guy would go to Walmart and buy a $20 box of ammo and resell it for $60 the next day. How do they propose to stop it? Their threats of boycotting members here isn't getting the job done. Calling us evil, greedy, gougers, profiteers, etc isn't getting it done. So the only thing left is force of government.

My earlier point is that many here will say that welfare and food stamp programs are unjust and those poor starving children deserve to be homeless and die before government takes a penny of their money via taxation. What's a more important need? Feeding the hungry and providing healthcare to the poor or grandpappy being able to buy a cheap box of ammo to take little junior to shoot the 22? These people want to eat their cake and have it too.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Thank you for "reading the post". This is what I was getting at. Someone that's been sitting on a stash for a while now taking advantage of the market, I have no problem with. The one's that wait in line at GM every Thursday just to post on Armslist are the one's/type I can't stand. All it's doing is fueling the hysteria.

No, people panic buying are fueling the hysteria. People are selling at those prices because people are willing to pay what they are asking. Don't enable them. Classic point the finger and the blame. It's up to you to decide where to spend your money.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    This is NOT a "true free market" because it is under big threat of government shutdown ESP semiauto rifles. This distorts both supply and demand and causes the price to spike upwards as hoarding justifiably increases.

Eliminate the gun control threat and prices would plummet on guns and mags.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    Also the biggest buyer of ammo is the United States (govt) itself so that causes periodic supply and demand distortions as well.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    On the flip side, since I believe the bubble will pop soon. How can I short this inflated market and make a killing when the speculators are left holding the bag?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    One thing the panic since Dec has proven is the only thing that elected officials that want a ban has to do is mention they are trying to implementing one (Fienstein brings it up every year so nothing new there) I mean really get into the press and preach about it and people go crazy thus keeping a lot of folks from getting many items not even listed in the ban.

I understand folks fear of wanting an AR/AK whatever if they didn't get around to get one because life happens and those are the specific targets of the gun grabbers but folks going crazy on every thing associated with firearms and this buying frenzy,

When you can't even get a brick of 22's to take a kid or grand kid shooting WE as shooters/gun enthusiasts have been shut down by our own folks and every anti gunner is laughing because they are for the minute getting a little of what they want!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

Collecting: Buying something you want and perhaps selling it later if your tastes change or you want to fund purchasing another item for the collection. Example: Buying an autographed Purdue basketball because it looked really cool on the shelf but then selling it later to buy the much cooler autographed IU basketball when the opportunity arose. (Reverse if you wish, no accounting for taste)

Investing: Buying something you don't necessarily want to keep, holding it for a period and then selling at a later date as the value has increased. Example: Buy and hold stocks, real estate (that doesn't involve a proposed highway route).

Speculating: Buying something you don't want and flipping it quickly for a profit just because you know someone else does want it. Example: Futures market, short selling.

Exploiting: Taking unfair advantage of a situation to make a profit. Example: Buying ammo at retail (less employee discount?) from your employer before it hits the shelf and then selling it at a significantly higher price because of the shortage you helped create.
    The only differences I see in your explanation above is that the "Speculating" suddenly becomes "Exploiting" when it is something YOU want!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

Collecting, investing, and speculating are pretty much the same thing. I think the biggest difference in your "definitions" are how honorable you view their intentions.

How many gun collectors focus primarily on 50 dollar pistols? Most collectors invest in their collections. They're speculating that the price will rise.

Adding exploiting to the list just shows your perspective.

People standing in line at the crack of dawn are investing their time. The early bird gets the worm, or the ammo I guess. :twocents:

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    On the flip side, since I believe the bubble will pop soon. How can I short this inflated market and make a killing when the speculators are left holding the bag?

Your speculating that you can make money when the other speculators lose on their investments? Investments are only fair if "you" win?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was just wandering how many of you had/have friends and family supporting this frenzy? I myself have a family member and a friend taking advantage of the times. They'll get a fair deal on something just to mark it up to panic prices. One of them is a Wal-mart employee that gets ammo before it hits the shelf just to sell on Armslist! Before it's mentioned, I do talk to them about it and explain how they're part of the problem.

I wonder how Walmart management feels about this practice? Where I work, when a certain product is selling faster than than we can build them, we are prohibited from using our employee discount to buy them--partially for this same reason.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The only differences I see in your explanation above is that the "Speculating" suddenly becomes "Exploiting" when it is something YOU want!

Anyone that has the time, available cash and inclination can speculate.

There was an earlier post about a WalMart employee buying something before it was available to non-employees and then selling at high prices. That is what I consider an exploit regardless of the item being sold. They have an advantage not available to the general public and can help perpetuate the situation.

I have what I consider to be a reasonable amount of ammo (for me) so I don't need to buy any. I was a little low on .22 LR but ordered at "normal" prices awhile back so I am covered there now as well. I wouldn't mind picking up more of course but not at artificially inflated prices.

It is however annoying if we want to take a group of boys shooting and can't because we wouldn't be able to replace the ammo at reasonable prices. A group of enthusiastic boys can shoot a lot of .22 LR in an afternoon. I don't mind spending $20 to watch them have fun but I can't spend $60 in ammo for someone else's kids to shoot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Likewise, I have now taken six people who've never shot a handgun in their life, shooting, in order for them to get a feel for it and did it for "the fun of it". Most have gone on to buy their own handguns and we are now "range buddies". I dont need to profit from everything I do in life, my integrity is far more important than a few measly bucks

Money is good. Profit makes the world roll and I understand it but my Karma means as much or more to me.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Isn't a person wanting to buy stuff in the current market but wants to pay old market prices greedy too?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I find it amazing that when profiteers can not get their greed on they start complaining and crying for things like neg rep so they strike out against those that do think that greed is good.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...the_love_of_gawd_bring_back_negitive_rep.html

It can not be stopped. Not in the conventional sense. No more than you can stop people smoking, raping others, bulling others etc. You can not regulate peoples behavior. What you would have to do instill morals, a sense of right and wrong. And as long as greed is worshiped as a demigod you will not change people's minds. Just set back and watch the decline and laugh at those that contribute to the decline have the gall to complain about the decline of society that they participate in.

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Your speculating that you can make money when the other speculators lose on their investments? Investments are only fair if "you" win?

That's the nature of the beast. Investments don't rate on a "fairness" scale. You bet if A or B will happen. Increase or decrease of price is just a side of a bet.

Whether its stocks, options, commodities, sports betting, etc. there is no "fairness" involved. Fairness is what losers whine about.

Top Bottom