• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Minor errors may be tolerable, but when a certain number is reached I stop reading.
    I find the lack of effort to be rude.

This.

Usually if I can understand what someone is attempting to say I just let it slide. I abhor poor grammar but I also understand that not everyone has had the same education and we all have our fortes. For example, I suck at anything math related. Once you get past the simple middle school level stuff I am pretty much at a loss. Algebra? Yeah, right. Everyone is different but when someone comes across as completely uneducated I will say something. "They're, there, their". Ok I can overlook that. "Peepol shood stopp been gramer notzies" (that actually hurt)...um no. I will definitely pipe up on the one. You may be a genius, but if you write/type like that you come across as a giant imbecile.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I find it amusing you would post this on a Hoosier website. Many people here (In Indiana, not necessarily on this forum, but I bet many of you do) calls Meijer Meijers, or Kroger, Krogers. "I'm going to run to Krogers"..... I will never figure out where the S comes from.

Not to mention its CREEK not Crick, WASH not WARSH, and that street in Indy? WASHINGTON, not worshington.

so do'nt worry bout da't grammar of u'rs. I'd dating one of dem's fancy teachers, and use the phras'es "most awesomist" as often as possible.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This.

Usually if I can understand what someone is attempting to say I just let it slide. I abhor poor grammar but I also understand that not everyone has had the same education and we all have our fortes. For example, I suck at anything math related. Once you get past the simple middle school level stuff I am pretty much at a loss. Algebra? Yeah, right. Everyone is different but when someone comes across as completely uneducated I will say something. "They're, there, their". Ok I can overlook that. "Peepol shood stopp been gramer notzies" (that actually hurt)...um no. I will definitely pipe up on the one. You may be a genius, but if you write/type like that you come across as a giant imbecile.

That's fun in a "grammar nazis" thread though. :):

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In fact, that's exactly what it means.

I don't often act as the Grammar Police, but if you want to be taken seriously you need to use the English language properly. If you're trying to make a point and it's full of misspellings, run-on sentences and improper verbiage, many of us will just laugh at it and continue on.

But hey ... if you like being laughed at and ridiculed behind your back, that's okay with me.

+1.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I find it amusing you would post this on a Hoosier website. Many people here (In Indiana, not necessarily on this forum, but I bet many of you do) calls Meijer Meijers, or Kroger, Krogers. "I'm going to run to Krogers"..... I will never figure out where the S comes from.

Not to mention its CREEK not Crick, WASH not WARSH, and that street in Indy? WASHINGTON, not worshington.

so do'nt worry bout da't grammar of u'rs. I'd dating one of dem's fancy teachers, and use the phras'es "most awesomist" as often as possible.

If that bothers you I will introduce you to some of my uncle's and cousins in Putnam Co. or as we refer to it....Putucky. They have a completely different take on the English language out there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The extra "s" comes from a shortened version of the possessive. I'm going to Meijer's store. The indication is somewhere there is a guy named Meijer who owns the thing. I realize its still not correct grammar, but when you grow up in a small town and actually do know who owns most stores it becomes force of habit. We never said "Wal-mart's", but I always bought my boots at "Murphy's", meaning Mr. Murphy's boot shop.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    YES! I make a snap judgement about you as soon as you open your mouth. If you "seen" something or want to "axe" me a question, I automatically dismiss anything you have to say as worthless dribble.

We will just assume that you meant to say "drivel" instead of "dribble." Unless you have a hole in your tippy cup this morning. :):

Actually, we grammar police can be very nice people. And, because any quick perusal of any internet forum will confirm that we are definitely in the minority in our society, I think we should push for protection from discrimination by the majority. So many of you are annoyed by those who correct your spelling and grammatical errors, and yet our efforts are pure and noble.

Just as other minorities are protected from the mean speech of others (albeit misspelled and poorly written speech), I think we persnickety grammarians deserve the same federal protection from those who run roughshod over our beloved language.

Yeah, there's some purple in there. But, just like those who are too lazy to learn how to spell or use a spell-checker, I don't feel like clicking on purple. Deal with it. :laugh:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Isn't this all just a mute point by now?

82557952.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll say the same here as other threads. If I have trouble reading or understanding your post, I won't reply, and you won't benefit from my wisdom. :laugh:

Seriously, spell check is free and built-in to most browsers. If you want to sound (look) like you are educated, then give it a try. If you want to look like you don't know and/or care, then just throw some text at the screen.

I'll admit, I judge folks by how they present themselves. I expect others to do the same to me. I am far (very far) from perfect. But the only way many of you will every know me is though my posts. I try to be somewhat coherent!

On the flip side, I'm not a "grammar Nazi". I won't bother correcting spelling/grammar just for fun. It is annoying when others derail a thread with those posts.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll say the same here as other threads. If I have trouble reading or understanding your post, I won't reply, and you won't benefit from my wisdom. :laugh:

Seriously, spell check is free and built-in to most browsers. If you want to sound (look) like you are educated, then give it a try. If you want to look like you don't know and/or care, then just throw some text at the screen.

I'll admit, I judge folks by how they present themselves. I expect others to do the same to me. I am far (very far) from perfect. But the only way many of you will every know me is though my posts. I try to be somewhat coherent!

On the flip side, I'm not a "grammar Nazi". I won't bother correcting spelling/grammar just for fun. It is annoying when others derail a thread with those posts.

Herein lies the problem with spell-checkers. :D

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

But you are the most interesting man in the world!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Wow, all of these new potential sources of frustration to tap into. Wait, I forgot, I don't care. I may make fun of you wanting to sale your gun. But it's all in good fun.

Top Bottom