Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’m sure this is going to ruffle some feathers, but here we go:

Defund the bloated “we need another new building” school systems entirely
    Provide no cost student transportation to and from school within a given, reasonable distance
    Eliminate the teachers unions
    Provide education vouchers to parents for use at non regulated schools of choice

Soon enough like minded parents will form groups to plan, organize and staff a central facility. There are plenty of teachers who would jump ship instantly to practice their craft without the constraints they are currently saddled with. With a growing vacancy rate of commercial property, a satisfactory rental building for the school shouldn’t present a problem. Smaller groups might prefer a hybrid home school arrangement. Extracurricular activities would be left to the parents to sort out. The need for other schools to compete shouldn’t be any more complicated than a few phone calls and a calendar.

Most importantly, parents decide the curriculum beyond the 3rs. Teachers could be selected based on ability, moral character, and other factors similar to the private sector but again the parents set the bar.

Fire away but ponder the concept.
    Just don’t suggest doing away with “free” lunches. Whew! If you want a ****storm of screaming Karens on your ***, that will do it.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    That's right! They should have to walk barefoot in 3 feet of snow, uphill both ways, just like we did! :oldwise:
    I have a hate relationship with school bussing. When in grade school we only had rural bussing. I lived in town, but less than 500 ft from the last bus stop at the city limits. I walked to the stop and was denied a ride because the driver knew I lived inside the city limits. The first year in High school a new building was built just outside the city limits so they were required to provide in city bussing. My walk to the new high school was less than 200 ft to the beginning of the school lane. I would have had to walk 3 blocks away to ride the city school bus. My attitude is to sell every school bus.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a hate relationship with school bussing. When in grade school we only had rural bussing. I lived in town, but less than 500 ft from the last bus stop at the city limits. I walked to the stop and was denied a ride because the driver knew I lived inside the city limits. The first year in High school a new building was built just outside the city limits so they were required to provide in city bussing. My walk to the new high school was less than 200 ft to the beginning of the school lane. I would have had to walk 3 blocks away to ride the city school bus. My attitude is to sell every school bus.
    Kind of like mass transit here. I'm a mile and a half from the nearest city bus stop. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to drive to the bus stop. :n00b:

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    No such thing. Someone is paying for it. And it's already provided, but very few kids are using it, at least where I am. I see a parade of nearly empty buses every day from the grade school (same one I went to) a few blocks away, followed by a parade of mini-vans and SUVs of parents not using the buses. I have to time getting my mail or else I'll be standing at the end of my driveway for 5 minutes waiting for the traffic to clear. I say eliminate transportation altogether. Or maybe get down to 1 or 2 buses per school.
    I don’t disagree with the idea but we are already paying for it through property taxes either directly or through the landlord. Not providing transportation could cause hardship on working parents. It could also mean you just can’t enroll your child in a school any further than walking distance. Then there is the rural family….. maybe spend part of the education voucher on transportation but then you are getting into oversight. Are the parents pocketing the money etc.

naturally adjustments would have to be made along the way but that would be up to the parents. Much like the congregation of a church manages. Yes I know they often times have vans and busses.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I don’t disagree with the idea but we are already paying for it through property taxes either directly or through the landlord. Not providing transportation could cause hardship on working parents. It could also mean you just can’t enroll your child in a school any further than walking distance. Then there is the rural family….. maybe spend part of the education voucher on transportation but then you are getting into oversight. Are the parents pocketing the money etc.

naturally adjustments would have to be made along the way but that would be up to the parents. Much like the congregation of a church manages. Yes I know they often times have vans and busses.
    I used to walk just shy of a mile to school in the 4th grade. I don’t see an issue. Also it is not my responsibility to lessen the burden on working parents to get their kids to school on time.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Simultaneously, (in Bedford anyway) the crazy traffic jams around the schools with parents bringing their kids to school is something to behold.
    The area I work has a rural school. The county road comes to a standstill during drop offs and pick ups from the parents. Also see countless parents setting in a car at the end of their driveways to give their children rides to the house when the get off the bus in good weather. Granted some are long but many are less than a 1000 ft. These children will never be able to do for themselves.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I used to walk just shy of a mile to school in the 4th grade. I don’t see an issue. Also it is not my responsibility to lessen the burden on working parents to get their kids to school on time.
    I understand. I grew up in the country and was on the bus for 45 minutes in the morning and almost same in the afternoon. It would just be a shame to force a youngster into the s**t show we have now only because the parents couldn’t get the child to a proper school 14 miles away.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Simultaneously, (in Bedford anyway) the crazy traffic jams around the schools with parents bringing their kids to school is something to behold.
    This!! They could analyze the usage and adjust accordingly. As I've said, the buses around me are mostly empty, or nearly so. Eliminate all but 1 or 2 and the school would be adequately served.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I understand. I grew up in the country and was on the bus for 45 minutes in the morning and almost same in the afternoon. It would just be a shame to force a youngster into the s**t show we have now only because the parents couldn’t get the child to a proper school 14 miles away.
    I have said in other threads, parents need to make a list of priorities and live by them. If changing jobs, lifestyle, location is not on their list, then the fate of these children have been made by the parents.

if parents are unwilling to take less pay, move, or decide not to take that big summer vacation to put themselves in a position to provide better opportunities for their children, then there are zero reason to justify that financial burden being put on me, the taxpayer.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just don’t suggest doing away with “free” lunches. Whew! If you want a ****storm of screaming Karens on your ***, that will do it.

First it was lunches for people 'disadvantaged'.
    Then it was breakfast.
    then, start giving them meals to take home... because they don't get anything at home.

Well, how about take some of that money given to the parents then, and give it to the school. Cause they were supposed to be feeding the kids. If they're not, then take that money away.

Almost everything starts of as a "good idea".
    Then it gets expanded
    then expanded
    Pretty soon...

Top Bottom