• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    Hi All: Today I was able to get out and get my first Mosin-Nagant rifle. It is from the Izhevsk armory, made in 1933 with all the numbers matching. It has the hex receiver also. Stock is in pretty good shape and the bluing is very good. The barrel is clean and not counterbored. Can't wait to get some proper amount of time to disassemble and give it a decent cleaning. Hopefully by this coming weekend I can take it with my son and go to the range to see how it shoots. Wish me luck. :)

Dennis0130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Goshen, IN
    Congratulations on your purchase. I've had one for about 6 years now. They are fun to shoot and fairly low maintenance. Does anyone know what the differances between the hex receivers and regular are?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    To the best of my knowledge, hex receivers are finnish. I love the 7.62x54r.net site. Ballistics info for the MN is priceless. Just wish they had more info on modifications to the rifle.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Hex receivers are Russian also, they were just made during the pre war years and have a reputation for being a bit higher quality. I was at Midwest gun exchange in South Bend last week and they had regulars for 85 bucks and Hex's for 115. All were in huge crates by the dozens and you could pick one you liked.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    Hi All: Today I was able to get out and get my first Mosin-Nagant rifle. It is from the Izhevsk armory, made in 1933 with all the numbers matching. It has the hex receiver also. Stock is in pretty good shape and the bluing is very good. The barrel is clean and not counterbored. Can't wait to get some proper amount of time to disassemble and give it a decent cleaning. Hopefully by this coming weekend I can take it with my son and go to the range to see how it shoots. Wish me luck. :)
    welcome to the addiction! what part of NCI are you in?

Hex receivers are Russian also, they were just made during the pre war years and have a reputation for being a bit higher quality. I was at Midwest gun exchange in South Bend last week and they had regulars for 85 bucks and Hex's for 115. All were in huge crates by the dozens and you could pick one you liked.
    dang, those prices are REALLY good!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Sparking my interest that you are!

last trip to Midwest I saw all them crates and just laughed when I walked by them. Said to myself, "who's going to buy those things". Of course I had my sights on a new M&P 9mm so everything else that day was a quick glance and un-interesting.

hunter962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    northren IN
    i got a mosin nagant as well but im thinking about selling it to a friend ive never fired it is it a good shooter or no? also how far can one shoot with it?

ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    Thej27: Thanks for the invite to the social group for Mosins. I am glad you sent the link because I couldn't find a way to navigate there from the top menu screen(s).

Last night I finished taking the bolt assembly apart and gave the stock and metal parts a thorough cleaning. When done, I oiled the barrel and other metal parts and set aside. I am going to let the stock set for a couple days in a dry/warm place to completely dry out before I sand down and restain it in a little more appealing color. I was happy to find that there really wasn't much cosmoline on the interior of the wood so I don't expect much to be oozing out and affecting the sanding / staining job. I'll post some pics when I am done.

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Hex receivers were made pre war, as was mentioned. WWII found Russia largely unprepared. Once it got going, they had to really bang out the rifles, so the greater care given to manufacture, the machined hex receiver, was a hinderance to quantity. I have read that some receivers weren't even machined, but filed to spec. See, russian-mosin-nagant.com for more info on your rifle. It has a very interesting history. Off topic but also very interesting, is the T-34 tank. Many rolled out of the factory and straight into battle!!

Top Bottom