• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Shot 5 rounds, and 3 split the cases. Is this typical for surplus ammo? I opened the tin and the packing slip said 1948, packaged in Russia.

I bought some surplus 1948 Bulgarian heavy ball ammo still sealed in the metal can. I've probably had over half of the cases split while shooting, but the gun didn't seem to care so I didn't either. When I asked about the ammo on MN.net I was warned that I may get some split cases because "old brass is brittle brass". I also had some Russian surplus from the 70's and it did not split, although right now I can't honestly remember if it was brass or not. Bottom line, the actions on these rifles are pretty robust, so don't lose any sleep over split cases, surplus ammo is too cheap to pass up :):

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    A Mosin will be the next gun i buy!!

A lot of people must be thinking that same thing. I was at Midwest Gun Exchange yesterday picking up an EOtech 516 (before sale ends) and I swear half the customers in the store were examining the crates of Mosin's on the floor. Holiday sale is about to expire so I guess people are hurrying to take advantage of the $85 price tag. Salesman said they've been going out the door every day as is evident from the near empty crates.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom