• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    i got a mosin nagant as well but im thinking about selling it to a friend ive never fired it is it a good shooter or no? also how far can one shoot with it?

There's a video floating around INGO somewhere of a guy shooting a running boar at 300 yards with a 91/30 and using iron sights. I'd say they're pretty accurate. :D

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.K. my turn.

I was just presented with a Mosin-Nagant (matching serial numbers), made in 1938, a sling, cleaning kit, 2-sided oil/solvent can(?), magazine pouch, removable bayonet, and 120 rounds of 7.62x54R surplus ammo.

I was not expecting this, but I'm thrilled to have it!

Shot 5 rounds, and 3 split the cases. Is this typical for surplus ammo? I opened the tin and the packing slip said 1948, packaged in Russia.

Also, how do I determine what model my Mosin is?

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    O.K. my turn.

I was just presented with a Mosin-Nagant (matching serial numbers), made in 1938, a sling, cleaning kit, 2-sided oil/solvent can(?), magazine pouch, removable bayonet, and 120 rounds of 7.62x54R surplus ammo.

I was not expecting this, but I'm thrilled to have it!

Shot 5 rounds, and 3 split the cases. Is this typical for surplus ammo? I opened the tin and the packing slip said 1948, packaged in Russia.

Also, how do I determine what model my Mosin is?
    im still new to mosins but i believe split cases are common. ive put about 60 rounds through mine and had 3 or 4 split. im really thinking about getting another after seeing the ones up at midwest today. im torn between the M44 and a hex reciever.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Funny, I stopped by Midwest guns the other day and while I was on the phone taking care of some work business I saw 3 or 4 guys walk out of there with a rifle and a paper bag.
    Then when I went in there were at least 2 others doing the same.
    I wondered what was in the bags and it seemd funny.
    They had for a great price ( less than 100?) and it was like kids in a candy store.
    And no I was not bitten by the bug. But I have heard many good things about them

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    FWIW my M44 & whatever ammo I have, forget what country of origin, has split casings every once in awhile.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    i got a mosin nagant as well but im thinking about selling it to a friend ive never fired it is it a good shooter or no? also how far can one shoot with it?

I think the iron sight on mine has adjustmenst up to 2000 meters so roughly 1.25 miles. Haven't tried it yet though. My wife bought one for me for christmas from midwest. 1938 round reciever from the Tula factory. Surprisingly accurate. Longest I've shot has been 100 yds though. I'd like to take it to a longer range someday.

I had 2 or 3 split cases in the 20 rounds I've put through mine as well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Mosins can be addictive. My son and I are just getting started reloading for them. Right now, he is working up a first test load for his M39 and I'm trying to find .312 bullets. They are a whole lot of fun for less than the cost of a decent dinner out. I think we'll try to take ours down to Atterbury on Sunday and re-live a moment or two from the Winter War.

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Love the, Mosin. I've never had a split case in any of mine, never fired, Russian, either though. All my ammo has been the, Czech Silvertip, or Albanian. Czech is steel case, Albi is brass, but not of high quality. Always clean a Mosin with meticulous care before firing to remove the cosmo. If you use steel cases, they are often coated with a laquer, and require the same diligence in cleaning. I reload for the cartridge and can attest that the cartridge and arms are certainly up to the task for target fun. I even fashioned a cheater bar for ease of operation.:D

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I posted in reference to a question without reading every reply. The post above mentioned the, Winter War. The soldier most often referred in the Winter War, Sumo Hayha, achieved 505 confirmed kills during the, 100 day war, before himself being removed from service, injured from a grenade in face. The gentleman lived into his 90's, the scar a reminder, and thru web contacts, was always floored by the Mosins popularity, specifically the Finns, no less. A humble man, and rifle.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for the info Clyde. I'll always be in awe of what the Finns accomplished given the resources they had and what they were up against. I'm just about done with the book 'Frozen Hell' which documents the Winter War very well. It should be fun for us to take my son's M39 and my 91/30 to the range and take a couple of shots prone, in the snow in honor of guys like Hayha.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    Funny, I stopped by Midwest guns the other day and while I was on the phone taking care of some work business I saw 3 or 4 guys walk out of there with a rifle and a paper bag.
    Then when I went in there were at least 2 others doing the same.
    I wondered what was in the bags and it seemd funny.
    They had for a great price ( less than 100?) and it was like kids in a candy store.
    And no I was not bitten by the bug. But I have heard many good things about them
    the bag was probably the cleaning kit, ammo pouch, sling, and oil bottle that comes with the rifle. i wish they had M44's, i would have a new addition to the family then.

ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    I've been working on the new Mosin for the last few days. So far I've cleaned all the cosmoline off of the metal parts and the stock. There wasn't much inside the stock so that was good. The barrel was in very good shape with little to no gunk on the inside and the rifling all the way down the barrel. I was able to get all the metal pieces off the stock and sanded it down. I stained it today with a red mohogany stain that matches the original color very well. Got about 5 coats of satin clear on it now and will let dry overnight so I can 00 steel wool it tomorrow. I have ordered a Mosin replacement cushion butt pad, trigger spring and stripper clips for it today. Also waiting for the 2-7x32 Long-eye-relief scope and mount to come in next week. I'm gonna put it together w/o the scope at first and see how it targets at 50 and 100 yards with the open sights. Wish me luck.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom