• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    I just got my 358 1.625 bfg done now I need help on a good projectile. I don't know witch way to go. I have been looking at the barnes tsx in 200 grain. Should I go with a solid core or hollow point or ballistic tip bullet. I just got in to reloading so I don't know alot yet so I am asking all my reloading family out here. Thanks for a:rockwoot:ll the help. I I am looking for a projectile recommendation should I go hollow point or ballistic tip projectile or solid core

Last edited:

sparkomatic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    You are probably gonna get a lot of different bulltes/loads from everyone so here's my .02 worth...lol

225gr Sierra GK over Ramshot X-terminator. Consistent and groups well in 2 different Encores. Previous load was a 200gr Barnes TSX over BL-C2. Shot very good as well just too tough of a bullet for my liking.

Most folks shoot the 180 or 200gr Hornady over many different powders with 4895 being very popular. Plenty of choices which makes it pretty easy to find what you and your rifle like. Good luck!

Spark

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The 180gr TTSX from Barnes and the (new) 200gr Accubond from Nosler would be my first two choices for this cartridge. I would expect very good accuracy from both and terminal performance should be consistent from very close to way out there.

If you were to choose the 180gr SSSP from Hornady, don't drive it as hard as you can; it's not made for those kind of impact velocities.

Reloder 10X has proven to give nearly ideal load densities in this cartridge, with excellent accuracy and velocity. This is one of those "tweener" cartridges that give their best performance with a powder that is a little slower than the slowest pistol powder, but on the fast side of rifle powders.

If you'd like, I can give you some starting numbers for loads, but I'll need specific information about the exact components you're using, including the bullet and its dimensions. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Jason

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    200gr Hornady SSR (?) It is a flat based, 200gr Interlock, spire point. Most accurate out of my Encore to this point AND, it leaves the barrel at just over 2650fps!
    Win/Win

sparkomatic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Bullets and loads kinda go hand in hand. Each bullet design has its own merit. As I stated, the Barnes is a tough bullet. I wasn't seeing the expansion I thought I would have on the 2 deer I shot with it. That said you sure won't have to worry about it coming apart at close range if it hits bone. The Sierra Gameking is a lead tipped boat tail and is not quite as tough but performs well. We did recover one from a deer last year shot at close range and it did separate. However, we recovered it just under the skin and it was still pretty much together. I cannot speak for the Hornady bullet performace as we never got them shooting under 1.25" thru our guns but as mentioned above they are designed for slightly slower velocities than you can push them. Not that you may ever an issue just something to note. Lots of folks are getting excellent reults with them. Hope this helps.

Spark

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Look at the different manufacturers and compare bullet Ballistic Coefficients. The higher the number the better the bullet will perform down range. This is usually the first step in selecting a bullet for me based solely on target shooting performance. For hunting you may have to make some sacrifices for that application. From there try different powders and keep your OAL close to max, about .001 to .003 off the lands. Neck sizing helps if it is not a semi-auto.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    ^^^^^^ Fixer makes some good "points" ( :D ) and you may find the 200gr Accubond to have a very high BC, but its design and construction will ensure it delivers excellent terminal performance. In my experience, the Accubond bullets fly like Ballistic Tips and kill like Partitions...ya can't beat that!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Applicable bullets:

Barnes:
    180gr TTSX
    200gr TTSX
    200gr TSX
    225gr TSX

Nosler:
    200gr Accubond
    225gr Accubond
    225gr Partition (maybe not)

Hornady:
    180gr SSP Interlock (designed for .35 Remington pistol velocities)
    200gr FTX (designed for the .35 Remington rifle velocities)
    200gr Interlock

Sierra
    225gr Game King

Speer
    180gr Hot-Cor
    220gr Hot-Cor (maybe not)

Most of these bullets are intended for the .35 Whelen and .350 Rem Mag, and the .358 WSSM/BFG doesn't quite get there. As Broom_jm said, the 180gr SSP should not be pushed too hard, but it would be great for a youth load at ~2,000-2,100fps.

I got a really good deal on blemished 200gr FTX bullets and I stocked up, so I have an incentive to use these. The worry is the it's designed for .35 Rem velocities and there is a potential for core separation on close shots. However Hornady FTX loads notes have the .356 Winchester... I can't remember exactly... going up to 2400-2500fps somewhere, so there might not be a problem. Hornady appears to have pulled the FTX load notes off their website... Just like most bullet manufacturers, they want you to pay twice to use their bullets -- once when you buy them, and again when you buy their book.

My bullet of choice right now is the 200gr Interlock at 2,525fps (22" barrel); not the best ballistics, but not the worst. My buddy got a large buck last year with this bullet, quartering toward him. Bang, flop; complete penetration. Also this is an economical bullet to shoot. The 200gr bullet seems to be the sweet spot for the .35 WSSM/BFG, though the 180gr bullets will give you another 100-150fps.

The 225gr SGK has been a very accurate bullet for me, but tops out near 2400fps, and doesn't quite get the 225gr bullets up to their best operating range. Because of its weight this bullet retains a lot of energy out at 300 yards, but the trajectory of the 200gr bullets (Interlock and FTX) is nearly identical out to 300 yards. Sighted 3" high at 100 yards, MBPR +/-3" is ~230-240 yards. At 300 yards you will be ~10"-12" below line of sight.

All of these bullets (180gr SSP, 200gr FTX, 200gr Interlock, 225 SGK) have given me excellent accuracy and 1/2" groups. The largest group of ANY group I have shot while working up loads has been 1.2" and even that is acceptable for a hunting load.

The length of the Barnes and Nosler bullets makes it so that usually the 180-200gr bullets are best in those brands. They are premium bullets and come with a premium price. Since they are long, they have the highest ballistic coefficients of the bunch. But due to their length and seating the bullet deeper in the case, you might not get the highest muzzle velocity, so in that regard, the 200gr Accubond might the the best of both worlds, but it will cost you ~$1/shot.

I may have to try them.

searlest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Hello very new to this site and the 35 WSSM My set up is a MGM 35 wssm barrel TC encore rifle frame Burris eliminator scope

Ammo 225 Sierra SBT @ 2500 FPS BC.384
    i.e Just Hunt Wabash IN.

My question is what type of 3 shot group is expected out of this set up at 200 YRDS?

Thanks

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Hello very new to this site and the 35 WSSM My set up is a MGM 35 wssm barrel TC encore rifle frame Burris eliminator scope

Ammo 225 Sierra SBT @ 2500 FPS BC.384
    i.e Just Hunt Wabash IN.

My question is what type of 3 shot group is expected out of this set up at 200 YRDS?

Thanks

Lots of variables involved in this, too many to make that call. Best advice is to go out and try it.

searlest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Hello Noticed there might be some experts here on 35wssm

We have recently purchased 2 setups TC encore barrels
    from justhunt in wabash and burris eliminators scopes

after putting about 50 rounds through the guns we are not happy with our groups at 200 yrds currently both setups are shooting 6 " 3 shot groups

Our ammo is 225 Sierra SBT
    2500 FPS BC .384

Can you share some wisdom and advice please

searlest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    3 Shot groups with my 35 wssm

We have shot on two separate occasions and the best we can do is 6" groups

I think are shooting set up is good we have a cheaper gun vise that we used and also a cement block with a towel on top of it... This is from a wooden pic nick table :dunno:

sorry for the double post new to the forum and still learning my way around .....How many post do I need before I can PM some one?

It would be nice if got the message that you do not have enough post BEFORE you set and typed a lengthy message.

Thanks to all for your help

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    While 6 inch groups at 200 yards is not what most would hope for, it will kill a deer virtually every time.

Contact Mike Bellm about over-sized hinge pins for your Encore, to tighten it up. Personally, I don't care for WSSM/WSM pressures in hinged actions...I know they chamber for them, but I've heard far too many problems from guys shooting them.

Are you loading your own ammo or did someone else make them? Are you dead set on using that 225gr bullet? Would you be open to trying 200gr and 180gr options? What powder is being used? How did you arrive at a charge weight? Did you do any load development? When you were working up to your current load, were there any charges that showed better accuracy?

I ask all of this because that "2500fps" number is just too convenient. One size does NOT fit all, especially in break-action rifles. If you're shooting custom loads from someone else, and that's the best accuracy you can get, I would either work with them to find a more accurate load or limit yourself to 200 yards or less.

Jason

searlest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    35 WSSM

Thanks for your response Jason,

I found the Bellm site while doing some research very impressed by it and am strongly considering the Kit he sells for $115

We are not reloading yet and was hoping to avoid this step however I am starting to think that I will not reach the desired accuracy unless a custom load is worked up :(
    Everything has been purchased thru our local shop .....Just Hunt in Wabash....

we are purchasing our ammo from there as well I am certain they spen some time working on the loads

The sheet of paper that was is with the ammo is as follows
    225 Sierra SBT
    2500 FPS BC .384

Also written on a piece of paper
    I have notes that are as follows H4898 46.0 gr 225 game king

I guess it time to purchase a set of dies ?

Does anyone care recommend where to purchase Dies ??

Thanks for all the support

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for your response Jason,

I found the Bellm site while doing some research very impressed by it and am strongly considering the Kit he sells for $115

We are not reloading yet and was hoping to avoid this step however I am starting to think that I will not reach the desired accuracy unless a custom load is worked up :(
    Everything has been purchased thru our local shop .....Just Hunt in Wabash....

we are purchasing our ammo from there as well I am certain they spen some time working on the loads

The sheet of paper that was is with the ammo is as follows
    225 Sierra SBT
    2500 FPS BC .384

Also written on a piece of paper
    I have notes that are as follows H4898 46.0 gr 225 game king

I guess it time to purchase a set of dies ?

Does anyone care recommend where to purchase Dies ??

Thanks for all the support

When it comes to the hinged T/C actions, I'm not sure if anyone knows them better than Mike Bellm. That kit, by itself, would probably fix most of the accuracy problems you're seeing. If you are reluctant to get into reloading, and this is the only round for which you would do so, I strongly recommend getting and installing that Bellm kit before you do anything else. For one thing, it is your only chance at being ready to hunt THIS YEAR, with your rifle. There just isn't time to learn how to reload AND create good loads for your rifle, right now. You may also find that even your best handloads won't group well until you have the kit installed.

There are sticky threads in this forum for how to get started in reloading. Rather than go over it all again, please read through a bunch of that. You'll avoid a lot of mistakes and get started out on the right foot. Once you've done that, call around to gun shops and see if any places around you offer a good selection of reloading equipment.

If you can find a friend or INGO member willing to give you hands-on reloading demonstrations and instruction, that's a great way to go. If not, there are places offering certified reloading classes that will get you up-to-speed on all the basics. I cannot overemphasize how important it is to do one of those two things before buying any equipment or dies. You can teach yourself to reload by using books and videos, but with something that is potentially dangerous, it is comforting to work with an experienced or professional reloader for a while, first.

Good luck and let us know how you do! If/when you get into reloading, perhaps this winter, ask questions on this board and I'm confident you will get very good answers. :)

Jason

Top Bottom