• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    When my wife and I first got married, I bought a 12 ga shotgun to go hunting with my brother in law.(her brother).No problem. Later I bought a 38 S&W snubbie for self defense. Applied for permit, got one issued 1980. no problem. On way home from work one night wife got hit in back of car, guy came out yelling at her, threatened her at midnite in public area. She called cops who showed up after perp left scene. Big problem.
    She applied for a carry permit, got issued, told me to buy another handgun because she is carrying the S&W now and signed us both up for a defensive course. Bought a 1911A. No problem. See how the problems go away.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    When my wife and I first got married, I bought a 12 ga shotgun to go hunting with my brother in law.(her brother).No problem. Later I bought a 38 S&W snubbie for self defense. Applied for permit, got one issued 1980. no problem. On way home from work one night wife got hit in back of car, guy came out yelling at her, threatened her at midnite in public area. She called cops who showed up after perp left scene. Big problem.
    She applied for a carry permit, got issued, told me to buy another handgun because she is carrying the S&W now and signed us both up for a defensive course. Bought a 1911A. No problem. See how the problems go away.

this is how it usually is. guns are bad until you find yourself in a scary situation. kinda like the death penalty. lots of people are against it until some lowlife commits a horrible crime against a loved one.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    His answer should have been "fine, start packing."

Not because of the gun, but because she places such a low value on the marriage in the first place. If she's willing to end the marriage because of an inanimate object, she's got zero dedication to it in the first place.

A good wife is worth more than the firearm. I suggest you work on bringing her over from the dark side. If he took the gun home without talking to her first, I can understand her reaction. Her irrational fears would control her because she has nothing to counter them. She apparently is a total novice with weapons, and having one in the house without prior discussion could just cause her to freak out. Springing this on her without warning would not be a good idea. I do not know the process that was used here, though.

My suggestion: Talk to her. Now that the gun is gone begin a process of education leading to obtaining a firearm with her knowledge and consent. Explain the need and purpose for the purchase (self defense, hobby, etc.). Explain the training you will receive so you know how to handle it safely and properly. Explain the safety measures you will take to insure it will not inadvertently fall into the wrong hands (kids, grandkids, wife, etc.), such as lock box or gun safe. Address her fears about having a weapon in the house and give specific actions you will take to ensure her fears cannot become a reality. Over time she will come to see the weapon as another dangerous item in the house, like a knife or a motorcycle or a stairway (down which one can fall).

You may have to negotiate a purchase agreement. I get a Glock (or whatever) for Christmas and you get _______ (fill in the blank). Or, "I will quit smoking and use the money save to get a 1911. Motivation will help me quit." Or, "I will cut back on my beer to save the cash to purchase it." You get the idea.

If that does not work, get your black belt and same great knives to carry. Man's gotta have some way to defend himself.:cool:

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    Im conservative and my wifes liberal... but atleast shes smart enough to know my gun buying allows her to stay liberal... and safe from intruders

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Looks like you need to do your friend a favor and go get his balls back from his ole lady!!!!! And then do this to her for being a gun hater:fawk:

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Sounds like your friend did not know his wife very well before he married her. I just can't imagine any guy being "ambushed" by this kind of reaction from a woman he's been married to for a while. My wife had a few surprises for me after 10 years:D(boy that was a while back), but nothing this fundamental to a relationship.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A good wife is worth more than the firearm. snip

But, a good wife would never make such a threat. It's not about the firearm, it's about the low esteem in which she holds her marriage. Short of cheating on her, a good wife (or husband) would never hold their marriage hostage to getting their way.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Jeeezzzz you can tell who wears the pants in that family. That is totally disgusting! I think something like "don't let the door hit you in that big ole a--" would be in order.:D

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I dated several women before I met & married my wife...former GF's were like 'why do you run off and spend time at the range vs. spending time with me?' My reply, "Go with me to the range." (One actually did, and was a pretty good shot, but it ended over other issues.) I knew I picked the right woman the day she said, "Can you help me pick out a gun so I can join you?" (The same thing for riding bike...'Can you help me pick out a bike so I can go with you?') She has long fingers (she played college baskeball) and the only gun that felt comfortable to her was the Beretta 84 Cheetah in .380 (which became her first gun). We've since traded that for a Glock 26 / 9mm with a model 19 magazine and an A&G Grip Spacer. Our first Christmas (married), she got me a Fobus Ankle Holster and NS for my Glock 33. Just a couple of her good points!!! :D :yesway:
    What a good woman!!! PTL!:rockwoot:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    A good wife is worth more than the firearm. I suggest you work on bringing her over from the dark side. If he took the gun home without talking to her first, I can understand her reaction. Her irrational fears would control her because she has nothing to counter them. She apparently is a total novice with weapons, and having one in the house without prior discussion could just cause her to freak out. Springing this on her without warning would not be a good idea. I do not know the process that was used here, though.

My suggestion: Talk to her. Now that the gun is gone begin a process of education leading to obtaining a firearm with her knowledge and consent. Explain the need and purpose for the purchase (self defense, hobby, etc.). Explain the training you will receive so you know how to handle it safely and properly. Explain the safety measures you will take to insure it will not inadvertently fall into the wrong hands (kids, grandkids, wife, etc.), such as lock box or gun safe. Address her fears about having a weapon in the house and give specific actions you will take to ensure her fears cannot become a reality. Over time she will come to see the weapon as another dangerous item in the house, like a knife or a motorcycle or a stairway (down which one can fall).

You may have to negotiate a purchase agreement. I get a Glock (or whatever) for Christmas and you get _______ (fill in the blank). Or, "I will quit smoking and use the money save to get a 1911. Motivation will help me quit." Or, "I will cut back on my beer to save the cash to purchase it." You get the idea.

If that does not work, get your black belt and same great knives to carry. Man's gotta have some way to defend himself.:cool:

Papa A...BAM!!! As usual, you nailed it again sir! A man's gotta show respect to his wife if he wants it in return (and vise-versa)...it's a two-way street. Negotiation, and communication, saves a lot of marriages. My wife's typically okay with most things, unless we a) don't discuss it first, or b) she points out that something else (bills, long-term goals, etc.) will interfere with my current agenda (thank you honey, putting it on hold, etc.). For example, I asked her if it were okay if I got a motorcycle....her reply was "As long as I get a 4-Wheeler?" (My mind immediately said, "Hey, I can drive that in the winter months on the farm at dad's!") Easiest deal I ever made!

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    Its back at my place! I still have a friend, and his wife is happy!

I hope that you take your friend out shooting whenever you can.

I've had a couple of friends over the years in a similar circumstance. They all appreciated getting the chance to shoot, even though they couldn't provide the firearms.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I called last night and he told me to come take it back. You can tell he has been through hell. She told me thanks for taking it back and was so kind to me knowing it would be "gone" soon.

The worst I ever got from my wife is "why do you need 4 of the same guns?" and rolled eyes.

+1 !!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My co-worker has always mentioned that his wife is very much anti-gun. Well he's the sort of person that hates to be the odd man out, so when everyone else was getting their LLTCH and talking guns he couldn't resist. He applied for his license so he'd "fit in" and now he has to beat her to the mailbox every day to make sure she doesn't find it before him. He did get a "sort of" carry gun already but said if his wife ever finds out he bought a gun he would be divorced immediately.

We told him to come clean now and told him say she's going to come down twice as hard if she finds out he's been hiding the fact from her but he simply says that's a chance he'll have to take. He also said he will have to keep the license and gun hidden in his car so she never finds out about it.

Maybe when she does find out, and she will, I will get his handgun. :)

Top Bottom