Good scope for Rem 700 under $200. Is it possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i would go with mil dots. i for hunting rifles i buy mildot scopes to use for holdover. on hunting rifles i dont dial for range or wind so i know x yds is the 3rd dot down on x power. you have to watch it because if you dont have a ffp scope the dots are diffrent on diffrent power settings.

i did this with my muzzleloader and had it all ready for deer season wich opened the next day. i always check my gun the day before season more for confidence than anything. i took my first shot at 300yds using the appropriate dot (4th) and completly missed the the target. shot again and had the same result. i was 100% sure i was using the right dot for 300 and had shoot at 300 atleast 20-30 rds in the month before season.

i assumed my scope was bumped and went back to 100yds to start all over getting a zero. i already had my dope so it wouldn't be to big a deal. when i looked at the 100yd target i noticed i was on 6x not 18x so i zoomed in and took one more shot at 300 and hit 1 inch from bull.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    i would go with mil dots. i for hunting rifles i buy mildot scopes to use for holdover. on hunting rifles i dont dial for range or wind so i know x yds is the 3rd dot down on x power. you have to watch it because if you dont have a ffp scope the dots are diffrent on diffrent power settings.

i did this with my muzzleloader and had it all ready for deer season wich opened the next day. i always check my gun the day before season more for confidence than anything. i took my first shot at 300yds using the appropriate dot (4th) and completly missed the the target. shot again and had the same result. i was 100% sure i was using the right dot for 300 and had shoot at 300 atleast 20-30 rds in the month before season.

i assumed my scope was bumped and went back to 100yds to start all over getting a zero. i already had my dope so it wouldn't be to big a deal. when i looked at the 100yd target i noticed i was on 6x not 18x so i zoomed in and took one more shot at 300 and hit 1 inch from bull.

Yeah i will definitely see what power it is calibrated at and just wing it from there once i get it sighted in. I figured you could use the MilDots the same way as the pins on a Bow. I am assuming this gun is capable of 250-300 yds easy(probably not for deer hunting but coyotes and target shooting), am I correct? I hear the .243 has a pretty straight trajectory.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yeah i will definitely see what power it is calibrated at and just wing it from there once i get it sighted in. I figured you could use the MilDots the same way as the pins on a Bow. I am assuming this gun is capable of 250-300 yds easy(probably not for deer hunting but coyotes and target shooting), am I correct? I hear the .243 has a pretty straight trajectory.

ya it will do 300 yds (even on deer) fairly easily assuming you work with it. depending on your load even farther.

shooting a 95gr vdl at 2850 fps. that is not pushing

from a 200yd zero i have 34 inches of drop at 500 yds. at 300 yds i have 6 inches of drop. (this is from a calculator i still haven't had a chance to shoot my 243:xmad:)

you dont have to see what the scope is calibrated for unless you will use the mils as a rangeing option or want the mils at 3.6 inches at 100 yds. i have a nikon buckmasters that is a mil scope. i think the mils are calibrated on 12x (not sure) but i just use the mils as a point of refrence on what ever power i use on targets.

i shoot everything over 200yds on 18x on my scope. i know the 4th mil dot down on 18x is 310yd zero. basically you sight in at 100 (on muzzleloader probably 200 for a 243). then move the target to 250. aim dead on and see where the group lines up on your scope. if the group is higher than the first dot try again from 275. if its lower try again from 225 and just fine tune it until you get it right on for your rifle/load/and scope combo

Last edited:

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    ya it will do 300 yds (even on deer) fairly easily assuming you work with it. depending on your load even farther.

shooting a 95gr vdl at 2850 fps. that is not pushing

from a 200yd zero i have 34 inches of drop at 500 yds. at 300 yds i have 6 inches of drop. (this is from a calculator i still haven't had a chance to shoot my 243:xmad:)

Sweet, Thanks for the info. I have yet to shoot mine either but I have a wheeling trip tomorrow so no money for extra rounds. Plus I may as well get a scope I want before wasting ammo zeroing the other one. Would you recommend extra tall rings or will tall rings suffice? Its 50mm as opposed to a 40mm and my rings don't have enough clearance for a 50mm scope.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sweet, Thanks for the info. I have yet to shoot mine either but I have a wheeling trip tomorrow so no money for extra rounds. Plus I may as well get a scope I want before wasting ammo zeroing the other one. Would you recommend extra tall rings or will tall rings suffice? Its 50mm as opposed to a 40mm and my rings don't have enough clearance for a 50mm scope.

is your 243 a light wieght barrel or heavey barrel. if its heavy id go with high rings. if its lightweight it could be high or med rings. id probably go high just to be safe.

this is how to do a actual measurement to see what you need
    Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly - Sniper's Hide Forums

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    you figure if you have a lightweight barrel it has a taper so more space is created where the obj bell will sit. if you have a heavey barrel there is less space where the bell sits. you want the bell of your scope as close to the barrel without touching as you can get. id just try high rings first

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Waiting to get paid! :D 143 shipped with rings wasn't too shabby! I figured I may as well get the scope and plan a range day and get it sighted in after I get the new scope instead of shootnig it with the scope thats on it now. This scope is going on the .22 so I gotta sight in 2 guns now!

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    for under 200 bucks i would go with a simmons whitetail classic. if you can get up to 300 bucks look into the super sniper
    Another vote for this!

Also check out SWFA's "sample list". They sell reconditioned, or "lightly used" scopes at a really great discount. I picked up a Nikon Monarch on there really cheap, it said "light ring marks" but I couldn't see a single mark on it, it was a brand new scope.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic on my Remy 700 BDL caliber for 30-06. INDYGUNWORK installed it for me, the best quality installment I have seen. Tight as a virgin's you know what. :rockwoot:

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Another vote for this!

Also check out SWFA's "sample list". They sell reconditioned, or "lightly used" scopes at a really great discount. I picked up a Nikon Monarch on there really cheap, it said "light ring marks" but I couldn't see a single mark on it, it was a brand new scope.

I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic on my Remy 700 BDL caliber for 30-06. INDYGUNWORK installed it for me, the best quality installment I have seen. Tight as a virgin's you know what. :rockwoot:

You guys must have missed the part where I ordered one! :D

Top Bottom