• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I had a hornet's nest in a tree in my front yard a few years a go. Went out at night and stood about 20 feet away and emptied a can of Spectraside into the entrance. Left the nest dripping wet. Nothing escaped but the stench of death.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are they good or bad?

Let's go on a little philosophical journey:

I posit that they are neither "good" nor "bad" based on our general understanding of those things, but that they just "are".

Like when my kids ask if a certain animal is mean (like an alligator we're likely to see in FL). No, kids, the alligator isn't mean. It's just an alligator gonna do what an alligator gonna do. :D

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Are they good or bad?

Let's go on a little philosophical journey:

I posit that they are neither "good" nor "bad" based on our general understanding of those things, but that they just "are".

Like when my kids ask if a certain animal is mean (like an alligator we're likely to see in FL). No, kids, the alligator isn't mean. It's just an alligator gonna do what an alligator gonna do. :D
    137061-Good-Or-Bad-Witch.jpg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    This time last year we found a wasp nest that was the size and shape of a very large football hanging in a maple tree in the front yard. I had been mowing grass just a couple feet beneath it for who knows how long. Wife called her favorite pest control guy who removed it next day.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This time last year we found a wasp nest that was the size and shape of a very large football hanging in a maple tree in the front yard. I had been mowing grass just a couple feet beneath it for who knows how long. Wife called her favorite pest control guy who removed it next day.
    WP_20140812_003 - Copy.jpgWP_20140812_006 - Copy.jpg

Pulled back some insulation in the basement of my previous house back in 2014 and found this. Snapped these pics then got tagged in the neck about 3 times before I could get off the ladder and through the door. Shut the basement door, put a towel under it so they couldn't fly into the house and called pest control.

I wasn't home the next day when they came, but my wife said they came in with some kind of spray bomb and set it off, then removed the nest, etc. Amazingly she said they weren't geared up with any real protective gear. I wasn't interested in going back in there on a bet until they were removed myself. Also made sure to get some "Great Stuff" and spray it in an area that they seemed to be using to get in.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    At home, it's no problem to go inside and get out the bottle of ammonia. For my motorcycle first aid kit, I did not like the idea of a small bottle of ammonia leaking or breaking. i settled on packing two or three ammonia inhalants. The ones they wave under your nose to bring someone out of a fainting spell. You really have to squeeze them to make them "pop." They contain just about the right amount to soak the outside gauze and then apply to the sting.
    The inhalants have a high enough pH to sometimes cause burns especially if applied to the mucosa.

For the normal topical reaction to Hymenoptera, carry a trial size of Ban Roll-on. The aluminum actually breaks down the venin and stops the normal reaction. As with any remedy, the sooner applied the better.

All the folk remedies, alcohol, ammonia, baking soda, witch hazel, tobacco and the like will make you feel 'special' but does little or nothing more than give you something other than the sting to think about.

Keep a container of Ban in the glovebox, console or in you pack or pocket. I have had children stung and they stop mid-scream after rubbing a little of this into the sting and go back to playing like nothing had happened.

This is what we recommended at the Poison Center.

PS, other antiperspirants will work as long as they have aluminum chloralhydrate or comparable ingredient, I just say 'Ban' because it is so prevalent and in a variety of sizes.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Years ago I was bush hogging for a friend in tall weeds with my Oliver Super 77 diesel when all of a sudden the exhaust coming out of the muffler looked like a tornado. I looked closer and saw they were hornets.

I left it running and set the brake and got off in a hurry. On looking I saw I had caught a whole paper hornet nest in my manure bucket and they all went to the nearest heat source to avenge the maneuver.

After awhile they calmed down and went back to assessing the damage to their home. I got back on the tractor, revved it up, found high range reverse and hit the trip to the bucket all at the same time.

The next pass the whole nest, occupants and all, went under my Brillion bush hog and I just sat there until the 'ting ting ting' sound stopped where they were getting splattered under the mower.

I had a couple near misses but did not get stung a single time. The wonders of modern machinery...

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    The inhalants have a high enough pH to sometimes cause burns especially if applied to the mucosa.

For the normal topical reaction to Hymenoptera, carry a trial size of Ban Roll-on. The aluminum actually breaks down the venin and stops the normal reaction. As with any remedy, the sooner applied the better.

All the folk remedies, alcohol, ammonia, baking soda, witch hazel, tobacco and the like will make you feel 'special' but does little or nothing more than give you something other than the sting to think about.

Keep a container of Ban in the glovebox, console or in you pack or pocket. I have had children stung and they stop mid-scream after rubbing a little of this into the sting and go back to playing like nothing had happened.

PS, other antiperspirants will work as long as they have aluminum chloralhydrate or comparable ingredient, I just say 'Ban' because it is so prevalent and in a variety of sizes.
    That's nice to know mongo. And you have to pack antiperspirant anyway! Thanks.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county

Good to know. I’ll add that to the bee sting kit we carry. Thanks

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I grabbed a cross tie on Monday with loader. I soon realized a yellow jacket nest was under it. Those yellow devils swarmed as I got out of dodge. The nest was attached to the tie and I pulled nest in half. Amazingly I didn't get stung but my dog did. I gave them a $2.99/gal bath at night.

Top Bottom