• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone else here use ammonia on your bee stings? Put a little bit on a cotton swab and hold it on the stung area. The sooner after being stung the better. Never use ammonia near your eyes!
    Wasn't ammonia the main ingredient in Afterbite, the bee sting/bug bite medication?

I'm fortunate to not be allergic to stings. I spend most of my time in the warm weather barefoot. Been stung three times this year. Stupid clover. It's certainly not fun, but most of the time I can walk it off, if I stay busy.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just noticed that one of the wasps in the pic is red and the rest yellow?

1629686293680.png

I walk by, close to this nest, a few times a day. They haven't bothered me yet?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...They don't make the ammonia formula anymore, but it worked awesome....

Wasn't ammonia the main ingredient in Afterbite, the bee sting/bug bite medication?...

Yes, ammonia was and still is a main ingredient of After Bite. They have several varieties now so check the ingredients...ammonia is listed as an "inactive" ingredient.

I have relied on it for decades. The sooner you use it the better and apply it several times.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Yes, ammonia was and still is a main ingredient of After Bite. They have several varieties now so check the ingredients...ammonia is listed as an "inactive" ingredient.

I have relied on it for decades. The sooner you use it the better and apply it several times.

I was just reading reviews for it and people said the stuff with "inactive" ammonia doesn't work?

I only ever used it for mosquito bites and I've found a shower to be just as effective. But... In a very round about way, yes, I can confirm that ammonia works.

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    All wasps die on sight. Max is right, they’re just ***holes. Honey bees are fine, but any wasps, hornet, or yellow jacket gets the spray or fire treatment.
    This is a fact. I just got stung by one and had a horrible allergic reaction! I go out of my way to obliterate these winged devils!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I was just reading reviews for it and people said the stuff with "inactive" ammonia doesn't work?

The After Bite I've been using for years (have a new box in front of me) has ammonia in the inactive list and has as strong of an ammonia smell as it ever did and works well.

You can always find reviews that are negative for anything.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Couple years ago, dealt with a downed bald faced Hornets nest. I swear I was a magnet for them. Chased me around screaming like a little girl. Finally got in the house and using the Barrett on the nest was considered.

At that point, stung so many times it didn't matter, they had to die no matter the cost. Walked through angry swarm to the nest, poured gas and lit. The joy of revenge was felt.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    As a natural history professional, gotta put my 2 cents in.
    All these hymenopterans are pollinators, and were doing the job long before honeybees got here. They also do great damage to garden and farm pests, especially caterpillars. If you are allergic, I understand your reaction. But I never harm them unless they pose a direct hazard to people.

Late summer/fall can be a problem. Usually they are programmed to defend the nest, but as the year gets later, their social order begins to break down, and they start defending personal space more (especially yellowjackets). They will go after your pop (for themselves) and your chicken sandwich (for the babies), and don't care who gets hurt in the process.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Anyone else here use ammonia on your bee stings? Put a little bit on a cotton swab and hold it on the stung area. The sooner after being stung the better. Never use ammonia near your eyes!
    No, but I've used a slice of raw onion on stings before and it seemed to help.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As a natural history professional, gotta put my 2 cents in.
    All these hymenopterans are pollinators, and were doing the job long before honeybees got here. They also do great damage to garden and farm pests, especially caterpillars. If you are allergic, I understand your reaction. But I never harm them unless they pose a direct hazard to people.

Late summer/fall can be a problem. Usually they are programmed to defend the nest, but as the year gets later, their social order begins to break down, and they start defending personal space more (especially yellowjackets). They will go after your pop (for themselves) and your chicken sandwich (for the babies), and don't care who gets hurt in the process.

Finally, someone not just skeert of being stung... :nailbite:

So far, I'm not getting stung as I pass by this wasp nest. As long as these critters aren't a threat, why would I kill them? Especially since they are pollinators and predators to pests that eat my food?

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    No, but I've used a slice of raw onion on stings before and it seemed to help.
    At home, it's no problem to go inside and get out the bottle of ammonia. For my motorcycle first aid kit, I did not like the idea of a small bottle of ammonia leaking or breaking. i settled on packing two or three ammonia inhalants. The ones they wave under your nose to bring someone out of a fainting spell. You really have to squeeze them to make them "pop." They contain just about the right amount to soak the outside gauze and then apply to the sting.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    THESE are the good ones. Cicada Killer. Will scare the CRAP out of you. But they are harmless to humans and wont sting you. They burrow in the ground and LOVE gaps between landscape blocks.

i know, but i hate seeing swarms of them in our yard! Never had them at all until a few years ago.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    At home, it's no problem to go inside and get out the bottle of ammonia. For my motorcycle first aid kit, I did not like the idea of a small bottle of ammonia leaking or breaking. i settled on packing two or three ammonia inhalants. The ones they wave under your nose to bring someone out of a fainting spell. You really have to squeeze them to make them "pop." They contain just about the right amount to soak the outside gauze and then apply to the sting.
    They sell the bee sting kits that your break and dab on the sting. Usually at menards. About 3/4” long and tough to break sometimes. Trying to help!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    i know, but i hate seeing swarms of them in our yard! Never had them at all until a few years ago.
    I love them. As long as they dont surprise me, I love to watch them. And they are curious too. They'll fly around and check you out. Not inches close like a bee, but typically at about arm's length.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Bald faced hornets are my enemies. I have to deal with them every year. They hit hard and hurt. I have to hang traps behind my shed and keep an eye on them. Current trap has about 50-70 hornets in it.
    4686C682-9333-47EF-BF7C-6E4C57EC63F3.jpeg

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Couple years ago, dealt with a downed bald faced Hornets nest. I swear I was a magnet for them. Chased me around screaming like a little girl. Finally got in the house and using the Barrett on the nest was considered.

At that point, stung so many times it didn't matter, they had to die no matter the cost. Walked through angry swarm to the nest, poured gas and lit. The joy of revenge was felt.

Shopvac. I said upstream that I ended up with a bunch of wasps living in the wall of my house and that's how I got them out. It would work fine for hornets too. I have about 25 feet of straight extensions. Turn it on, chuck the extensions at the nest, and walk away for several hours. When they're all visibly gone, turn the vac off and plug the inlet hose into the outlet. Let it sit there until you're brave enough to empty it. I let mine go for several weeks. I killed thousands of them in one day. In my case, I had to go back a few times to finish the job, but it worked.

I had to do that twice about 3 years apart... then sold the house. Good luck, new owners! :wavey:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I've found a pump shotgun with #8 game loads works really well on the nests.
    I had heard that you can safely approach their nest at night, and there was one too low and close to a picnic table at the park. So I drove the van near the nest with a flashlight, large plastic bag, and loppers, intending to put the bag over the nest, cut off the branch, and burn the whole thing.

Except, when I got there, the outside of the nest had many hornets patrolling around on it. Change of plans. Moved the van closer, lopped the nest off, jumped into the van and drove back and forth over the nest repeatedly until I was relatively sure I got them.

Checked the next morning - no activity.

Top Bottom