• Status
    Not open for further replies.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The F word is effing great! I use that mother effer all the effing time! If i didn't effing use it, i think my life would be a lot more effing boring... Effin A

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I go out for a few beers and you guys blew up this thread!!!!!

Happy bunny laying eggs hide from your kids and eat chocolate day!!!!

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    easter.gif

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    360 quoted Penn Jillette, "You can't prove that there isn't an elephant inside the trunk of my car. You sure? How about now? Maybe he was just hiding before. Check again."

Schrodinger's Elephant? The elephant exists and does not exist but you collapse the waveform by opening the trunk?

Man quantum physics gives me a headache. I tried following the Feynman lectures and got lost halfway through. But I did love to hear that man speak.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You know you have surprised me. I would have thought by the content of most of your posts your stature was something like 6' 6". :)

Now that is one thing that has always pissed me off. I'm 5'6" and built like a tank (and given my profession and hobbies both are a good thing, so I don't mind at all). But when I meet folks in person who I've known on the net for a long time, I get "I thought you'd be taller" a lot. What, short people can't write well and be articulate now? What an odd prejudice.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Now that is one thing that has always pissed me off. I'm 5'6" and built like a tank (and given my profession and hobbies both are a good thing, so I don't mind at all). But when I meet folks in person who I've known on the net for a long time, I get "I thought you'd be taller" a lot. What, short people can't write well and be articulate now? What an odd prejudice.

They are just surprised that we can reach the keyboard without a booster seat. ;)

Remember, without short people, there wouldn't be tall people.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    God versus the F-word? Sorry my friends, that is a false corollary.

You see, the F word's equivalent has been uttered in ancient texts far beyond that of modern time. Jeremiah is the story of a man's suffering and a series of actions he metaphorically portrays in his personal life that will allegedly occur to the city of Jerusalem. In a one-sided conversation with God, and in a pinnacle of his suffering moment(s), he screams that God has f-worded him.

The book of Job is similar to Jeremiah in that it speaks of suffering. The book of Job is not Hebrew-specific and therefore cannot be properly called a thoroughly Jewish book because it pre-dates Jewish thought. Even the name used for God in the text is generic for The Almighty and is more like an Arabic/Semitic "mythos" story that was recognized as one of the best pieces of literature ever written regarding suffering. It has the angst of Vonnegut or Salinger, the brashness of Palahniuk, and the biting wisdom-style of Dawkins. How does this tie in the f word? Job's friends attempt to convince him to tell God to eff-off so that God will return his words with a legitimate curse that will kill him.

After Jesus, a man named Paul comes around and writes a lot of letters to a lot of different places and most of them pertain to behavior and Jesus. A group of people who were slaves an idea regarding chopping off the end of a man's tillywacker when he decides to participate in the movement surrounding Jesus. Paul tells them that it is not necessary if they want to merely follow Jesus but that he himself has his tillywacker snipped. From what we can piece together from a late letter, those who were obsessed with cutting off the tips of tillywhackers did not change their mind and potential followers were turned away by the idea of cutting on their most prized possession. Paul addresses them in a scathing letter and calls them the equivalent of an effer and goes a step further by telling them that he wishes they would cut more than just their tillywacker tips off, but to remove the whole thing from the root.

Isn't the Bible fun?

It is my opinion that the Christian can remain as such even if he or she is heavily engaged in the usage of the eff word. One's freedom and ability to do something doesn't always dictate what is proper attitude for a setting. For example, if I were visiting my grandmother, I chose not to say the eff word around her. Has she heard it before and does she know what it means? Yes. Is my right available to me to say it in front of her? Yes. I chose not to do so because it is an issue of respect and love. Let's say I am playing call of duty with lawrra. I'm getting shot about every 30 seconds because I am terrible at that game. I scream the eff word and yell at my cat. I'm in my own home, no one is "hurt" by the yelling. I'm vocalizing my frustration through a mere garble of sounds. Those sounds are associated with words, images, feelings, expressions and attitudes in my brain. There is a whole psychology behind words.

I understand your frustration though. I don't agree with your perspective regarding God but I don't have to do so to see things from your perspective.

There is a school of thought that exists that states religion or faith of any variety is dangerous and offensive. Therefore, if something exists where offense or offensive is allegedly limited, religion and faith should be excluded.

My observation is this: A forum maintains itself as somewhat family friendly. Thus, by doing so, "stronger" language is banned from the forum because it is offensive to traditional family values, in American culture circa 2010CE. Someone from a different ethos steps up and a challenge is issued to those who set the rules. The challenge is that they are not offended by strong language, but by religion which is offensive to their own worldview. The plaintiff attempts to project an image of unfairness to the community that since one category of offensiveness is banned, so should the other category(ies).

That being said, I like the "look away" policy both for the forum and real life. If I don't like something and it doesn't belong to me, I look away, don't participate or don't listen to it. I'm not necessarily telling you what to do but I'm relating to what I do when I don't like something.

In regards to truth, If you're honest in your search for truth, I think you will be rewarded for it. If God doesn't exist, you're rewarded with a greater scope of knowledge for your hardwork towards honing your epistemology of how life works. If God does exist, it seems that those who go looking for him often find him. This isn't 100% of the time and that is potentially due to our preconceived notions and prejudices... I'm thinking of those who hate religion and then build up a case against it without knowing why. Conversely, the other side exists, too.

In closing:

Part of me wants to apologize for the actions of Christians have made towards you in the past. So, I can only say that I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with them. The other part of me realizes that apologizing for someone else's actions can't logically be done because there is nothing to apologize for... you can only apologize for your own actions. I can't apologize for slavery as a (mostly) white man because I've never enslaved someone. You can still feel some remorse that it happened though.

I posted in this thread, IBTL, IATL, IAT2ndL, and enjoy the rest of the weekend. Easter/Resurrection Sunday/Flying Spaghetti Monster Sauce Day/Equinox will be a beautiful day no matter what day it is.

I am out of rep for now, but I will be back!! very well said myfriend!!!:)

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Then maybe you should point out what you didn't like about what he said, instead of quoting a well thought out, 4 paragraph response and writing 1 word under it.:twocents:

BTW, I don't agree with evansvillethompsongunner, but I respect his opinion.

I was feeling lazy, and my appetite for this thread isn't very large anyways...

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I appreciate the view provided by TWB. Again, I wish I could put words on the screen to sound like that. I will rep when I get back to a computer and off my iPhone.
    This thread has gone way further than I could have imagined, and for the most part has remained civil.

While I respect the views of everyone here, you have to allow the sake of argument. This world is 3D. There is your view, my view, and someone elses view. The beauty of it all is that one can make out it whatever they wish. That's the beauty of freedom.

I still think we should be able to effing curse if we want.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I appreciate the view provided by TWB. Again, I wish I could put words on the screen to sound like that. I will rep when I get back to a computer and off my iPhone.
    This thread has gone way further than I could have imagined, and for the most part has remained civil.

While I respect the views of everyone here, you have to allow the sake of argument. This world is 3D. There is your view, my view, and someone elses view. The beauty of it all is that one can make out it whatever they wish. That's the beauty of freedom.

I still think we should be able to effing curse if we want.

I just wanna start a beaver house of worship.:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom