• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I’m not gonna celebrate working class people losing their jobs. But I will celebrate the message, that if the company gets political so will the consumers. The factory workers don’t deserve to lose their jobs. The executives that push woke policies do.

But even the executives are caught between a rock and a hard place. Institutional investors have forced ESG on companies that would rather just stick to providing a product without politics. If they don’t play, those investors punish them. If they don’t play, ESG makes other companies shun them. So I’m not sure how effective the message is.

I sense this is an empty victory because blackrock and vanguard are still enforcing ESG. You notice that Busch is still supporting woke causes. They tried to woo their customers back by pushing pro-‘Murica advertising, all while endorsing groomers elsewhere. What do we do to remove institutional power that is fueling company wokeness.

The only thing I can think of is getting Trump back in office and having some sort of law passed against the enforcement of woke ideology, or something like that. There are no market forces that will sort it out, so it has to be something legislative. Either that or woke companies are forced out of business and eventually the woke will run out of money... :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The only thing I can think of is getting Trump back in office and having some sort of law passed against the enforcement of woke ideology, or something like that. There are no market forces that will sort it out, so it has to be something legislative. Either that or woke companies are forced out of business and eventually the woke will run out of money... :dunno:
    The primary purpose of the state is to protect its citizens' individual rights. That includes from harm by all enemies, foreign and domestic. When a few people can use the power of their large corporations to subvert the rights of citizens, I think if government is any good at all, it should step in and prevent it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The primary purpose of the state is to protect its citizens' individual rights. That includes from harm by all enemies, foreign and domestic. When a few people can use the power of their large corporations to subvert the rights of citizens, I think if government is any good at all, it should step in and prevent it.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that with Trump we were energy independent and had a fantastic economy. The senile resident in chief that we have now has a blatant mandate to destroy America and enrich her enemies. It seems the Left no longer feels the need to hide the fact that they want to destroy and/or enslave this country.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “Consumers have made a choice,” said an executive at a Texas-based beer distributor who did not want to be identified. “They have left [Bud Light] and that’s how it’s going to be. I don’t envision a big percentage of them coming back.”

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    “Consumers have made a choice,” said an executive at a Texas-based beer distributor who did not want to be identified. “They have left [Bud Light] and that’s how it’s going to be. I don’t envision a big percentage of them coming back.”

And if we can do that to the best selling beer in America, we can do it to other companies playing this woke bull :poop:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And if we can do that to the best selling beer in America, we can do it to other companies playing this woke bull :poop:
    I have been studying that and it is not as easy as it sounds. This was a perfect storm. We must learn to replicate it.

“No one factor determines success, but they boil down to one key question: How expensive in time, money, or quality is it to switch to the nearest substitute for the target of the boycott? The more expensive it is to boycott, the less likely the boycott will succeed. What affects the costs of participating in a boycott? The answers to this question are simple: time, money, and quality.”

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have been studying that and it is not as easy as it sounds. This was a perfect storm. We must learn to replicate it.

“No one factor determines success, but they boil down to one key question: How expensive in time, money, or quality is it to switch to the nearest substitute for the target of the boycott? The more expensive it is to boycott, the less likely the boycott will succeed. What affects the costs of participating in a boycott? The answers to this question are simple: time, money, and quality.”

It can work where there are options. Bud Light was a great example because there is a plethora of beers available to choose from. Similarly, Target and Disney are easy to boycott, because there are alternatives. There are plenty of other shops like Target, like Walmart, Meijer and others. Disney is entertainment. There are other choices in film and if they all suck, there are video games, books and many other forms of entertainment to choose from. I used to be an avid movie-goer, but with the advent of garbage, woke message filled films, my consumption is WAY down. My not watching woke garbage by itself doesn't hurt the studios bottom line, but a lot of my fellow Americans are making the same choices. When you get enough people sick of the garbage, changes can be made. The biggest question in my mind is if people can keep the momentum and follow through over the course of weeks, months or years.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

Desire is the largest obstacle.

you have people that won’t homeschool because of the life alter changes they would have to make to work life, home size, lifestyle and many other personal choices. Holding fast to a boycott is no different. People hate to make sacrifices for a cause.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Desire is the largest obstacle.

you have people that won’t homeschool because of the life alter changes they would have to make to work life, home size, lifestyle and many other personal choices. Holding fast to a boycott is no different. People hate to make sacrifices for a cause.
    So with that said you basically said what the economist I quoted said, if the cost is too high the boycott will not succeed. People will not home school because the cost to them is to great for the benefit they believe they will get, so they rationalize and don’t do it. And the second point is the same, if the cost of boycotting is too great they will not do it.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    So with that said you basically said what the economist I quoted said, if the cost is too high the boycott will not succeed. People will not home school because the cost to them is to great for the benefit they believe they will get, so they rationalize and don’t do it. And the second point is the same, if the cost of boycotting is too great they will not do it.
    Not necessarily too high a cost, just unwilling to give up something.

I’ve had conversations with people that admitted they would have to give up summer vacation get aways to be able to financially homeschool. They were unwilling. I see the same with boycotts. Just unwilling to make that change. My best friend has a hatred for the political views of several actors, but refuses to stop going to theaters because he craves the entertainment He also has a hatred for woke football players, but pays extra for all the nfl coverage he can get. I shake my head when he starts complaining.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I gave up having children (personal choice). That's how I chose to avoid home (and other) schooling costs. Oh I still have to pay for schooling costs through property taxes though. Is that enough of a sacrifice for you?
    No children here. In the same boat.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I went to the store today and passed through the beer isle. Bud Light occupied an extraordinary space compared to the other beers. I really don't understand that. You'd think they'd stick it in the middle of a main isle and put it on sale to get rid of it, and stock more popular beers in its space in the beer isle. Something's not adding up. But. I'm not a beer retailer. I may be missing something.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well. The beer worked out I think because most beer is beer. Hell, I drank Goebel back in my drinking days. It's not always about the taste. I drank it in my college days because it was cheap and I was usually broke. But I think for most people it's a brand loyalty thing. Having the brand of beer you're loyal to insult you like Bud Light marketing did, kinda puts the skids on the whole loyalty thing.

Can it be repeated elsewhere? Yeah. I think so. If people start thinking the makers of the brands they like actually hate them, I think that would put the same kind of damper on brand enthusiasm as it did with Bud Light. But, is that battles won and wars lost?

Bud Light is still woke even though they're losing money. Part of that may be that fear the ESG apparatus more than they fear losing money because stakeholder capitalism doesn't care about profits. It cares about woke. And the other part is that even if the brand dies, it's a brand. They'll create a new one to supplant the old. That's the Mao way. Replace the old social institutions with new ones. Destroy the old culture. Build the new one.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well. The beer worked out I think because most beer is beer. Hell, I drank Goebel back in my drinking days. It's not always about the taste. I drank it in my college days because it was cheap and I was usually broke. But I think for most people it's a brand loyalty thing. Having the brand of beer you're loyal to insult you like Bud Light marketing did, kinda puts the skids on the whole loyalty thing.

Can it be repeated elsewhere? Yeah. I think so. If people start thinking the makers of the brands they like actually hate them, I think that would put the same kind of damper on brand enthusiasm as it did with Bud Light. But, is that battles won and wars lost?

Bud Light is still woke even though they're losing money. Part of that may be that fear the ESG apparatus more than they fear losing money because stakeholder capitalism doesn't care about profits. It cares about woke. And the other part is that even if the brand dies, it's a brand. They'll create a new one to supplant the old. That's the Mao way. Replace the old social institutions with new ones. Destroy the old culture. Build the new one.

Maybe or maybe they'll find out that lack of profits for these companies will eventually upset their ESG applecart. I don't know, just hoping... ;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I went to the store today and passed through the beer isle. Bud Light occupied an extraordinary space compared to the other beers. I really don't understand that. You'd think they'd stick it in the middle of a main isle and put it on sale to get rid of it, and stock more popular beers in its space in the beer isle. Something's not adding up. But. I'm not a beer retailer. I may be missing something.
    The part you are missing is that most grocery items placement is per negotiated contract. In other words the vendor pays for that space, in many cases down to the particular shelf height and distance from the end caps.

I posted a link recently that said that the next big loss for BL is store owners will not want to lease them the prominent large spaces, they currently have, when the contract comes up and competitors are already working to get those BL spaces.

One other thing, many states do not allow for the selling of alcohol for less than a state specified minimum price so that may not be an option.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    It can work where there are options. Bud Light was a great example because there is a plethora of beers available to choose from. Similarly, Target and Disney are easy to boycott, because there are alternatives. There are plenty of other shops like Target, like Walmart, Meijer and others. Disney is entertainment. There are other choices in film and if they all suck, there are video games, books and many other forms of entertainment to choose from. I used to be an avid movie-goer, but with the advent of garbage, woke message filled films, my consumption is WAY down. My not watching woke garbage by itself doesn't hurt the studios bottom line, but a lot of my fellow Americans are making the same choices. When you get enough people sick of the garbage, changes can be made. The biggest question in my mind is if people can keep the momentum and follow through over the course of weeks, months or years.

The "Sound of Freedom" movie currently outgrossing the top 3 Hollywood releases combined is putting a dent in the studios bottom line.

Whether it's enough to get Hollywood to wake up and take notice is still to be determined.

Top Bottom