• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    So, here's a question: are there some things that we shouldn't put to a referendum?

Here in Indiana, the law changed a few years ago that required a referendum for certain tax increases (but not "fee" increases). There've been mixed results.

For instance, if there was a proposal to require all book stores to give every patron a free beer on Tuesday, would that be something properly put to a referendum? Or, more near and dear to INGOtarian's hearts, what about legalization of marijuana?

I would probably support referendums for anything that increases the size, scope, or cost of government. One more check on government expansion couldn't hurt.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would probably support referendums for anything that increases the size, scope, or cost of government. One more check on government expansion couldn't hurt.
    That could work. A citizens' veto if you will. Law makers have to pass it to get it on the ballot. Can you imagine the how hard the press would push?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Conceptually, we already do - vote for new representatives who won't pass things we don't like. And, for the record, that is probably a good idea. :)

But that paradigm would've left the Brexit vote without a referendum. Arguably, leaving the EU will decrease the size, scope, and cost of gov't.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    T.Lex said:
    Conceptually, we already do - vote for new representatives who won't pass things we don't like. And, for the record, that is probably a good idea. :)

But that paradigm would've left the Brexit vote without a referendum. Arguably, leaving the EU will decrease the size, scope, and cost of gov't.

True.

It would be tough to define anyways. There are big disagreements on what increases or decreases the scope of government. Perhaps anything that raises taxes, increases budgets, adds new scope to a department, adds a new department, gives a new authority to a department, etc.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Having seen this in Carmel, I would add "introduces fees payable by citizens for government services."

#stormwaterfees
    #totallydifferentfromtaxes

It would really hedge against incrementalism. Doesn't matter how small the increase, it would take an expensive referendum, which might not go the way the politicians expect.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wow, look how awful it has been for the UK compared to Germany.

I bet the UK SERIOUSLY regrets their vote now!

eMr7hxm.png

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Farage: "You're not laughing now, are you?"

[video=youtube;ayojl7Op37A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayojl7Op37A[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Man I love to see the globalists squirm and rage. Makes me feel good. Happy Independence Day, Mr. Friedman!

What's that term The Mustache likes to use so much..."Creative Destruction," n'est-ce pas? Or something like that.

Funny, isn't it, how it's "Creative Destruction" when it's other people's livelihoods on the block...but a catastrophe when some bunch of bureaucrats gets their revenue stream crimped?

I, however, must admit to a certain amount of schadenfreude at seeing the Globalists' Most Favored Mouthpiece on the subject of Free Markets, Thomas Friedman, reduced to wailing that they won't work right without a byzantine bureaucracy to oversee them.

So Bottoms Up, and a pint down the hatch, Mr. Friedman! Here's to a "flattened," smoked-up, choked-up, burned-up EU.

And, here's hoping the Forces of Darkness point their Panzers onward toward Holland...:ar15:

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Doesn't that defeat one of the main reasons the UK sought to leave the EU, security and immigration? No offense to France, but I've held the belief, and it may be wrong, that there are numerous dormant terror cells on their soil.
    I'm not quite sold this "plan" is the gospel, solely for that reason.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe he should ask the elites how that worked out during the French Revolution.

We all know about the successful revolutions, because they were successful. But comparatively, the "elites" have traditionally mopped the floor of the masses. In modern times, I think such an overt act by govt could not be successfully resisted, except in a handful of places... and, being a member of this site, I'm sure you know why.

Top Bottom