• ...and so much more!
  • charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Glock or XD

I own a Glock 17 Gen 1 purchased in 1988 and a Glock 21. Both are great guns, no regrets here. So, I go to the Indy 1500 last August to purchase a Glock 30 for compact concealed carry. Handled a XD Compact .45 ACP. Actually chose the XD over the Glock. Preferred the trigger, sights and ergonomics. Have put 1500+ rounds (mostly LB reloads) through the XD. Accurate gun, 100% reliable, and just seems really easy to shoot well.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    EDIT: I should have read the first post, I gave a serious answer thinking someone wanted an opinion :( oh the wasted time...

Let me put it this way.

Both great guns. Both are reliable. The glock has the same chances of blowing up as an XD IMHO, im sure most will argue because they can find 3 more pictures of blown up glocks :blah: ... but they have been around for a lot longer. Id trust my life to either and have considered buying an XDM.40. What im saying here is dont listen to the 1 in a million gun explosion story. Most of the cases in which this happened were because of people shooting reloads with too much powder + unsupported chamber.

Glock perfection is the original. Springfield marks up the price of their guns 10% because they have to pay glock for patent infringement. They copied no doubt. HOWEVER, they have refined and added things that glocks dont have. The grip safety/trigger is different. The xds are also much wider. In fact Hickok45 (infamous gun guy on youtube) did a comparison and the xd9 was bigger in all dimensions (especially width) than a glock 30 (the biggest glock as it is a .45acp double stack.) Even the most hardcore xd fan will tell you they are a "brick". If size is important then you need to consider that (once again get your hands on both!)

All in all, you wont go wrong with either. I LOVE my glock and am totally in love with it, but you need to get what is best for YOU. Try and shoot both, if you cant, hold both and see if they will let you do some dry fires. See which one you like and shoot the best and get that!

Good luck!

(get a glock 27!!!!!!)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Wow, there is so much misinformation in this post.

EDIT: I should have read the first post, I gave a serious answer thinking someone wanted an opinion :( oh the wasted time...

Let me put it this way.

Both great guns. Both are reliable. The glock has the same chances of blowing up as an XD IMHO, im sure most will argue because they can find 3 more pictures of blown up glocks :blah: ... but they have been around for a lot longer.

I've corrected you on this point in the past. A loose, under-supported chamber forces the brass to contain the pressure by itself. A brass case is not intended to serve that role. If the case lets go the gun blows up. At very least, the chamber design is a contributing factor in kabooms. (squibs excluded) The threshold for overpressure is lower. Glock got the the reputation for blowing up because of the unique ability for their guns to kaboom with FACTORY ammo. There is no overcharged reload excuse. No 'glocks have been around longer' excuse. You do not see guns with properly designed chambers have this problem. I'll challenge you (again) to find this same trend with XDs. Remember, factory ammo kabooms.

Edbean said:
    Id trust my life to either and have considered buying an XDM.40. What im saying here is dont listen to the 1 in a million gun explosion story. Most of the cases in which this happened were because of people shooting reloads with too much powder + unsupported chamber.

Or factory ammo + unsupported chamber. It's interesting that you admit here that there is a problem with the chamber while downplaying its significance.

Edbean said:
    Glock perfection is the original.

The original what, exactly? They weren't the first striker fired pistol. They weren't the first polymer pistol. They weren't the first tilting barrel, locked breach design. What is original about glock? I'll answer my own question. It's the stupid half-cocked double action. Thank you Gaston for a spongy trigger pull that would be better suited for a NERF gun.

Edbean said:
    Springfield marks up the price of their guns 10% because they have to pay glock for patent infringement. They copied no doubt.

I'd like to see a source for this. Glock has been quite lawsuit happy but I can't find one regarding the XD. What is especially interesting is that the original patent was issued in 1985 (read it here if you want) so it would have expired around 2005 so there isn't even any patent protection on the design now. Can you show where I am incorrect and Springfield does pay royalties to glock? Oh, and you know that XDs are less expensive than glocks in general, right?

EDbean said:
    HOWEVER, they have refined and added things that glocks dont have. The grip safety/trigger is different./qoete]

Again, the Xd is not a copy or modification of a glock pistol. It is a different design altogether.

Edbean said:
    The xds are also much wider. In fact Hickok45 (infamous gun guy on youtube) did a comparison and the xd9 was bigger in all dimensions (especially width) than a glock 30 (the biggest glock as it is a .45acp double stack.) Even the most hardcore xd fan will tell you they are a "brick". If size is important then you need to consider that (once again get your hands on both!)

This bit of misinformation is my favorite. I'm not sure which comparison you are talking about. The closest to what you described is the G27 and XDsc, both .40 caliber. He makes four size comparisons. He compares the slide where he measures out towards the muzzle where the sub compact glocks taper. He compares the grip length where both make for a pinky-less hold and more grip translates into easier to control. He compares the slide height where he said the difference was negligible. He compares the height of the section of frame above the trigger guard where the Xd's much beefier, stronger locking block and take down lever sits. He conveniently made no mention of the grip width, angle and length of pull. You know, the part of the gun that you actually hold on to and the dimension that people complain the most about regarding glocks. XD grips are amazingly slim and they in no way resemble a "brick." The XD45 grip is very close to being as slim as that of a 1911.

Can you post a link to the video where hickock45 compares an XD9 and a G30? I'd like to see it.

Edbean said:
    All in all, you wont go wrong with either. I LOVE my glock and am totally in love with it, but you need to get what is best for YOU. Try and shoot both, if you cant, hold both and see if they will let you do some dry fires. See which one you like and shoot the best and get that!

Good luck!

(get a glock 27!!!!!!)

This kind of decision is much easier on new shooters when they aren't fed misinformation and marketing hype about one of their options. It's important to tell people who are trying to make a carry decision what is bad about their various options as well as the good. I haven't seen a perfect handgun design yet. There are going to be flaws. The fact is that an accurate pros vs. cons list is going to put glock well below several other pistol designs.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Good post king. For the sake of avoiding an argument ill just go ahead and give you the win. I dont want to start anything nor do I wish to spread misinformation around to anyone. Trust me, I know I dont know a lot about handguns, I dont mean to steer anyone wrong. All I wanted to say was that I like glocks. I got off on a tangent about crap ive read, heard, or partially experienced. Not 100% facts. For that I am sorry.

However, you have to admit, your avatar does prove to show a little bias in your comments as well.

Have a good one.
    -Ed-

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Can you post a link to the video where hickock45 compares an XD9 and a G30? I'd like to see it.

Im sorry I thought he reviewed a 9, I think its an XD subcompact .40, my mistake. (glock 19 is the same size as the 23, im not sure if the xds follow suit)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk6zDGFqhgQ&feature=fvwrel]YouTube - Glock 27 vs XD subcompact[/ame]

around 3:00

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A loose, under-supported chamber forces the brass to contain the pressure by itself. A brass case is not intended to serve that role. If the case lets go the gun blows up. At very least, the chamber design is a contributing factor in kabooms. (squibs excluded) The threshold for overpressure is lower. Glock got the the reputation for blowing up because of the unique ability for their guns to kaboom with FACTORY ammo. There is no overcharged reload excuse. No 'glocks have been around longer' excuse. You do not see guns with properly designed chambers have this problem. I'll challenge you (again) to find this same trend with XDs. Remember, factory ammo kabooms.

Or factory ammo + unsupported chamber. It's interesting that you admit here that there is a problem with the chamber while downplaying its significance.

There is really nothing stated above that I would disagree with, as long as we are talking about a specific caliber or two. I have owned and currently own SEVERAL Glocks. I will state though I recently did make a decision to get out of (1) caliber, thus leading me to trading (3) Glocks off. I traded them for (3) Glocks in another caliber. :D Also, I will admit this chamber support issue did play somewhat a part in my decision due to the fact I am a reloader and also enjoy shooting lead, but it was not the biggest issue. I actually had larger issues with this caliber than the support issue.

I would also like to add (1) point not mentioned before. Since I own both Glock and XD's, I will say I have come across the rare exception where the not so tight chamber does APPEAR to have an advantage. When I load and shoot the 200 gr .45 SWC with the sharp shoulder, the Glocks will eat that all day with the OAL anywhere from 1.22 to 1.25. The (2) XD-45's will only function with the AOL at 1.25 in both my service and tactical. This is the pet load I shoot the most. I find it to be very accurate and leaves such nice, round holes in paper. In summing up I would say that to many Glock owners, the unsupported issue is for the most part, only a issue if something bad happens to them. At this point, I have never had any issues, only have found them to function fine and I shoot mostly only my reloads. By mostly, I would say easily over 95%.

As for downplaying the significance... Again, in my mind this has to do with what I have found so far. If the day ever comes that I have a KB and I feel that I did my part with the load, I will probably not only get rid of the Glocks, I will probably run away from the polymer frames... It all comes down to what I have seen or haven't seen.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What caliber did you switch from and what did you decide on?

I got rid of (2) G22's and a G35. I never did like the .40 S&W for several reasons. In the (3) I got rid of, I would bet 90% of what I shot thru them was either .357 or 9mm. The unsupported issue did play a part in my decision. Even though I felt it was overblown, I still felt it did play a small mental game with my trigger control. I just never could shoot the .40 as accurately as 9mm, .357 sig, or .45. If you compare the cost of cast, plated or jacketed bullets, I can reload the .357 much cheaper than the .40 cal. Cost also played a huge part in my decision. Probably the biggest part in my decision was I loved the size and how the G19 felt in my hand. Currently, I only own the compact sized Glocks. (3) G19's and a G32, with the exception of a Gen 4 G17, which I haven't formed an opinion on how I like it yet. I recently did add a G23 barrel. I packed it away with (3) saw cans of reloaded .40 cal that I did not want to sell. I don't really plan on shooting it, but just liked the thought of having 3000 rounds tucked back I could shoot out of the G32.

Again, the unsupported issue only played a small part in my decision to get out of .40. Now, if a KB ever happened in my hands, it would probaly be the end of ANY poly guns in my safe. I would return to all steel framed choices, this would also include getting rid of both my XD-45's and also the XD-9. I would do this before giving up reloading !

Last edited:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Good post vel, I wish I had some rep to give.

Ive been trying to decide which glock to keep my g19 company. G26, g27, g30, or g36.

The 26 would be cool because I could share mags. I love 9mm, im good with it, its cheap, and has been proven to be effective (shot placement is key no matter what caliber!)

The 27 would be cool because I could have a diverse collection of caliber pistols. Ive been tempted to pick this between the rest because its bigger than the 9mm, but not as wide or big as the g30 and has a much better mag capacity than the 36.

The 30 would be cool because .45acp seems to be pretty freakin sweet. However, this new gun is supposed to be smaller than my 19. I can hide the 19 easy with a big shirt or a light jacket, but I want something even smaller so I can just wear tshirts in the summer and not feel like im brandishing all my friends. (I prefer that no one knows im carrying except CLOSE friends and of course family.)

The 36 would be cool becasue its the width of a g19, but still a subcompact that shoots .45acp. The only two things I dislike about this is that the mag capacity sucks. 6 rounds +1.... I like pistols BECAUSE of capacity, might as well get a revolver (im not a revolver guy). Im not planning on ever needing 7 shots, but if I did... it would be sweet to have 10 +1 or in my g19s case, 15+1.

I cant decide. I can say, however, that I absolutely hated the glock 23 I shot previous to buying the g23. I just suck with .40. Its too snappy for my liking, and its basically the same price as the .45acp (better round IMHO) and drastically more expensive than a 9mm.

:dunno:

basically, if the 36 had 10 round capacity I would get that. If the 30 were as small as a 26/27, I would get that. If I could get more practice with the .40 and decided against personally disliking the caliber I would get that. The 26 is a win regardless, although I would like to diversify calibers...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good post vel, I wish I had some rep to give.

Ive been trying to decide which glock to keep my g19 company. G26, g27, g30, or g36.

The 26 would be cool because I could share mags. I love 9mm, im good with it, its cheap, and has been proven to be effective (shot placement is key no matter what caliber!)

The 27 would be cool because I could have a diverse collection of caliber pistols. Ive been tempted to pick this between the rest because its bigger than the 9mm, but not as wide or big as the g30 and has a much better mag capacity than the 36.

The 30 would be cool because .45acp seems to be pretty freakin sweet. However, this new gun is supposed to be smaller than my 19. I can hide the 19 easy with a big shirt or a light jacket, but I want something even smaller so I can just wear tshirts in the summer and not feel like im brandishing all my friends. (I prefer that no one knows im carrying except CLOSE friends and of course family.)

The 36 would be cool becasue its the width of a g19, but still a subcompact that shoots .45acp. The only two things I dislike about this is that the mag capacity sucks. 6 rounds +1.... I like pistols BECAUSE of capacity, might as well get a revolver (im not a revolver guy). Im not planning on ever needing 7 shots, but if I did... it would be sweet to have 10 +1 or in my g19s case, 15+1.

I cant decide. I can say, however, that I absolutely hated the glock 23 I shot previous to buying the g23. I just suck with .40. Its too snappy for my liking, and its basically the same price as the .45acp (better round IMHO) and drastically more expensive than a 9mm.

:dunno:

basically, if the 36 had 10 round capacity I would get that. If the 30 were as small as a 26/27, I would get that. If I could get more practice with the .40 and decided against personally disliking the caliber I would get that. The 26 is a win regardless, although I would like to diversify calibers...

If you ever think you would consider reloading in the future, I would give the .45's a good look. Also, I would also look real hard at the XD's. While I liked the fact the G21 would eat my favorite target load regardless of the AOL, I simply did not like how the large frame felt in my hand. I ended up trading that in toward the XD tactical I now have. I since have added the service sized XD in .45. The tactical .45 is simply the most accurate handgun I have ever owned using this load. I just wish they weren't so fussy on the OAL of these particular style cast SWC's and do something about their loaded chamber indicator sticking in a very short time.

In case I'm throwing you some mixed signals which I prefer between Glock or Xd... I will simply state I prefer Glocks in 9mm or .357, but prefer XD's in .45 ACP.

I would say your assessment on the .40 is dead on... At least from my perspective as a reloader. If I'm gonna have to pay the price difference you see between the .355 dia bullets and .40 cal, I just prefer to go to .45 and get longer brass life. Also like you, I just shoot the .45 much more accurately.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    This is where flame wars start but there are some serious haters out there for all makes and models of guns. It's kind of like reading a review for a movie: you take out the highest and lowest reviews and read the ones in the middle.

The idea of Glock's unique ability to kboom with factory ammo...well, nobody has ever had that happen with their reloads because having it happen with factory doesn't void any warranty, right? And all cops are great and knowledgeable gun gurus that clean their weapons all the time, too. :rolleyes: Everybody knows a police armorer or SWAT member that had this or that happen...

Several Glock kBoom! posters have been busted posting the same picture from different angles claiming they were blatant failures on Glock's pistols. Some quick detective work shown that the primer in the casing wasn't factory and the round was an obvious reload and was double-charged. WalterCG at 1911forum.com is one of the few unbiased shooters over there and he busted several of the guys posting a lot of that nonsense

The .40 cal cartridge is, by SIG/Sauer's own admission, a very hard cartridge to have feed properly on many designs. Many manufacturers were still trying to get a hold on reliability with a new cartridge and the legend of the Glock Brass was born. Older model Glocks, in .40, would have a noticeable bulge in their brass when viewed from the correct angle. New model Glocks have tightened the chamber while still keeping the feeding problems at bay. An internet search will show several .40 cal barrels from different years and how the issues with that have been addressed.

Having added my :twocents: and virtually insuring a flame war, I will add that having shot both, side by side, I traded the XDm for a Glock. I still have my .40 cal Glocks and while I shoot factory though them it is not from a fear of anything but that I already reload 9mm and .45 plus 12 gauge and can't afford another round to reload. I don't even reload for my .223, I just buy factory. Thousands of rounds of reloaded ammo through my Glocks and I still have all 10 fingers.

Top Bottom