• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    There are three handguns which I would say I have shot enough to feel I can give a good report on:

#1: Smith and Wesson Sigma, .40S&W, 1st Generation--This pistol is junk and I would never carry them. You don't have to worry about a KaBoom, but you do have to worry about your front sight falling off, your striker pin breaking, and if you don't clean it often, the slide retention bar spring will be pushed down by power residue. I had this happen with two issue to me, I finally got an HK USP .40 Compact because I don't trust 1st Gen Sigmas at all.

#2: HK USP Compact, .40S&W--I only had one or two stovepipes with this pistol. It was 99.99% reliable. The one issue I had with this gun is that it is susceptible to rust on the slide. During the winter months, we didn't go shooting. Snow flakes were able to blow onto the back of my slide where they melted and water gained entry to the under body part of the slide. Five months later, when showing the pistol to a friend, a rust spot was noticed. I wasn't happy about it, but it was my fault for not inspecting the pistol. I had to pull the two pins, removing three or four small pieces in front of the hammer to clean all the rust. No major issues at all, the rust wiped right off and didn't have enough time to eat into the metal. I ended up selling the HK to get a Glock 22.

#3: Glock 22, 3rd Generation, .40S&W--I carried this gun for about five years. I had a handfull of jams, but I was shooting a lot of ammo and my arms were tired, so I do blame "limp wristing" on these jams (at least for some of them). I have never had a KaBoom and still trust the pistol 99%. No pistol is 100% in my opinion. I finally ended up with a department G22. It is a very recent manufacture. I don't fear a KaBoom with this new G22. The co-worker who had it before failed to qualify at first and he did nothing but shoot, shoot, and shoot some more...so it has been "tested" as far as I am concerned.

Overall thoughts: I think the best handgun out there is the HK USP series. The only problem I have with the HK USP is that their rail system isn't picnay and requires an adaptor. I think HK did themselves a big disservice in this aspect. I also think the Glock pistol is a good pistol. There are some issues with some specific guns, that is just the way it is. If you look at that Glock KaBoom page, you noticed an HK USP also had a KaBoom. On this thread, an XD KaBoom is pictured.

The way to work through this is to shoot your pistol. Even if you are caching pistols for whatever reason, you should be shooting them. For a prepardness/survivialist type, one needs to have a Glock in 9mm and .40S&W. Their popularity means they are out there, and it would be nice to have a couple of pistols that you might be able to find spare parts for. The Beretta 92 is another popular pistol I would cache. For daily use, I would be carrying an HK USP if I had the money.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I'm still waiting for what you call and advance in pistol technology.
    You already listed several, and, as expected, you discounted them since they were not part of GMW.
    ANd I would like to see where any pistol manufacturer's warranty isn't void by shooting reloads.
    Hi-Point Firearms
    Warranty Information - Smith & Wesson

I just checked the manual for my XDs, which said specifically that they are not liable for problems caused by defective or reloaded ammunition, not that reloading specifically voids their warranty.

No mention of shooting reloads on Taurus's warranty page either.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Repair Policy

NONE of the manufacturers have a disclaimer like GLock's.
    THE USE OF RELOADED AMMUNITION WILL VOID THE GLOCK WARRANTY, DUE TO THE UNPREDICTABILITY OF THE STANDARDS (SAMI/ NATO) ADHERED TO, SINCE RELOADS OF POOR QUALITY AMMUNITION MAY NOT MEET (SAMI/NATO) SPECIFICATIONS, MAY EXCEED LIMITS, AND THEREFORE MAY BE UNSAFE.

Of course, you probably won't see the difference between Glock's warranty and the others, or will say that Glock's is better, being a part of GMW.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    You already listed several, and, as expected, you discounted them since they were not part of GMW. Hi-Point Firearms
    Warranty Information - Smith & Wesson

I just checked the manual for my XDs, which said specifically that they are not liable for problems caused by defective or reloaded ammunition, not that reloading specifically voids their warranty.

No mention of shooting reloads on Taurus's warranty page either.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc - Repair Policy

NONE of the manufacturers have a disclaimer like GLock's.

Of course, you probably won't see the difference between Glock's warranty and the others, or will say that Glock's is better, being a part of GMW.

CAn you please give me a list of pistols that, since the release of the glock 17, have been innovative? and please list how?

No I can see the diffrence between their warrantiy and glocks, I am surprised at this from a liability aspect but it is good to know I can shoot reloads through my J frame and still be under warranty. but what does COLT, HK, Walther, have to saw about reloads?
    I'll quote Greg Bell on m4c...

"Generally, every handgun designed in the last 25 years is a footnote to the Glock 17."

Bigswin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    never fired a glock that I enjoyed shooting. Maybe it's just me but the angle on the grip is a little weird.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    CAn you please give me a list of pistols that, since the release of the glock 17, have been innovative? and please list how?

No I can see the diffrence between their warrantiy and glocks, I am surprised at this from a liability aspect but it is good to know I can shoot reloads through my J frame and still be under warranty. but what does COLT, HK, Walther, have to saw about reloads?
    I'll quote Greg Bell on m4c...

"Generally, every handgun designed in the last 25 years is a footnote to the Glock 17."

Ok. I wondered where this was going. It's the old copycat argument. While there are some design similarities common to "modern" handguns making a copycat argument is just :koolaid:. The best part about it is that most of the glockesque pistols out there just do it better. I guess you can call them a footnote to glock if you like but the problems and complaints that some have with glock simply go away when they look into other striker fired pistols.

It would be like me saying glock is a "footnote" to the 1911 because glocks use, like a majority of handguns do, the Browning designed tilting barrel, locked breach system. I don't think old Gaston set out to emulate the 1911. Likewise, the pistol designs of the past 25 years are necessarily similar to glock because of the obvious need to compete in the glock market. I have always been unsure what the copycat argument is supposed to prove.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    It would be like me saying glock is a "footnote" to the 1911 because glocks use, like a majority of handguns do, the Browning designed tilting barrel, locked breach system. I don't think old Gaston set out to emulate the 1911. Likewise, the pistol designs of the past 25 years are necessarily similar to glock because of the obvious need to compete in the glock market. I have always been unsure what the copycat argument is supposed to prove.

The functional design of the Glock broke absolutely zero new ground. It wasn't the first polymer framed gun, it wasn't the first striker fired gun, it wasn't even, really, the first "safe action" type gun.

The revolutionary part of the Glock design comes in it's ease and economy of manufacture, and it's incredibly low (compared to other designs of the time) part count. This was a gun designed as an appliance, by someone who knew or cared crap about guns, simply about designing and selling tools. Gaston took existing design elements, refined some of them, and created a tool that is cheap and durable. It's the cheapness, and to some extent the durability, that has sold so many guns to LE agencies. As we keep saying, it really doesn't work any better than many other competing designs. But it IS tough as nails, and dirt cheap to produce and maintain.

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    I've had a glock for many years. Actually this is my second one. I've never had a malfunction with either of them. They just work every time. Not the most beautiful thing there ever was, but who cares.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The functional design of the Glock broke absolutely zero new ground. It wasn't the first polymer framed gun, it wasn't the first striker fired gun, it wasn't even, really, the first "safe action" type gun.

The revolutionary part of the Glock design comes in it's ease and economy of manufacture, and it's incredibly low (compared to other designs of the time) part count. This was a gun designed as an appliance, by someone who knew or cared crap about guns, simply about designing and selling tools. Gaston took existing design elements, refined some of them, and created a tool that is cheap and durable. It's the cheapness, and to some extent the durability, that has sold so many guns to LE agencies. As we keep saying, it really doesn't work any better than many other competing designs. But it IS tough as nails, and dirt cheap to produce and maintain.

Well said. That is why I have often said I wish I could like glocks. The price is definitely right. They cost half what my beloved Colts cost.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Yup, make good starter guns for those who can't afford the big boys toys right away. :yesway:

I can agree with that, my first handgun was a glock 23. The grip angle was very weird to me and after jumping into some other guns, I switched. But, it's a good gun for the price most definitely.

glocker1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    I've used my "name" for years. It's my email name, and the one I use on every forum (except Glocktalk where I ended up as aglocker1911 thanx to a screw up with aol and the GT server). I love Glocks, and I love 1911's, so it was a natural. I've said for years, I'd be in heaven if Glock would make a 1911 pistol (think of a Wilson KZ45, but affordable!):D

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've used my "name" for years. It's my email name, and the one I use on every forum (except Glocktalk where I ended up as aglocker1911 thanx to a screw up with aol and the GT server). I love Glocks, and I love 1911's, so it was a natural. I've said for years, I'd be in heaven if Glock would make a 1911 pistol (think of a Wilson KZ45, but affordable!):D

Its like we are brothers with our names just about similar :laugh: I believe there is another individual with the name "Glockster" which is also hilarious. I'm pretty sure the mods don't get a kick out of it though it probably confuses them thats why when I donated to the site I made sure they knew the money came from "Glocker" otherwise :ar15: ...joking :D

glocker1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    I thing Glock (every gun company for that matter) ought to pay a fee to everyone who uses the company name in a screen name for every post they make. After all, we are giving them a form of free advertising, right?;)

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'd just be happy with a closet full of free glock shirts

I've read from a certain website that the company actually ships you free stuff and free of shipping charges too. Such as pens, hats, stickers, landyards, calenders and maybe T-shirts too. You gotta just call and ask but I'm not the kind to beg for free stuff so I don't know if its true.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    glocks are just fantastic weapons. that fact has been formed from years of usage and the tremendous quantity of units out there in the world. its a fact numbers dont lie. that doesnt mean at all that there arent several other pistols that are great weapons also.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom