• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    The glock is one of the greatest hand guns on the market, right next to Spec 1911a1's, Xd's, Xdm, Walther P99, Cz75, Tanfoglio's, etc. I ind glocks to be superior in the simplicity of their design. They are user friendly ( I will hear none of that asshattery about ergonomics, because it is subjective, glocks fit me, 1911's feel weird in my hands) THe unsupported chambers aren't that big of a deal and most pics you find of Glock Kabooms the tear took place at the 9 O'clock or 3 O'clock position and not at the 6O'clock position where the chamber is weak. Why do people pick ont the Glcok for its unsupported chamber and not the fluted chamber of the H&K P7 or SVT 40?

I don't like manual safties, SO I carry a glock.
    I don't like grip safeties so I carry a glock.
    Police in my area carry a glcok so I carry a glock incase I ever need spare ammo.
    I Like Glocks they will eat anything I put at them, they work to the point of being boring, I fI had to shoot something else I can do it, I aslo own two sigs and a beratta 92 I can run those guns as well,
    I don't liek magazine disconects so I avoid SMith same with those KEy locks, SO I avoid smith and tuarus.

If you like somethng else fine, but Give me reasons other then "it's not a glock"
    Or you Xd guys tell me what is superior about your design.
    My freind went through a LArry Vicker Operators course a whle ago, let with the mpression one should be willng to spend obsecene amounts of time/effort tunning, lubing, testing and reparing the 1911 or just get a sig or Glock.

Google Image Result for http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/kaBooms/ColtkaBoom.jpg

This type of stuff needs to end, be glad other people are shooting, regardless of the make, encourage new shooters, THis senslees bickering about GLock V 1911, GLock V xd, 9mm V .45 could be better spent traing, teaching new shooters, finding ammo, or contacting legislators. GEt people shooting, and stop dogging each other for not having "your" choice in a gun, Unless they have a ruger.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    There were 2 failures that I saw. Neither of them was a jam (failures to feed) or failure to eject (stovepipe).

In both instances, the fired casing was left inside the chamber. There are three ways this could happen:

1) Reduced powder charge, incapable of cycling slide. This was a 45acp Glock. I reload for 45acp and I can tell you that light loads which will function in my 1911 will not cycle in my Glock. The 200 grain slug is leaving the barrel at about 700fps. I don't know what the factory rating is on the respective recoil springs, but i suspect the Glocks is heavier.
    Either way, its an ammo problem.

2) The extractor slipping, or pulling through the rim. This is an ammunition problem.

3) limp wristing will steal recoil energy the gun needs to function. However that often results in stovepipes, and all of the shooters looked like they had stable shooting stances.

We can easily dismiss #2 and #3 as probable causes. You see these types of ammunition failures in these high round count tests simply because you have private citizens trying to buy 500 or 1,000 rounds just to burn, and they get the cheapest stuff they can find.

We purchased 200 rounds of Egyptian surplus 9mm a few weeks ago. Nearly 1/2 the primers were bad: we used a Sig P6, a CZ-75, and a Glock 17. All of those fine guns had countless problems with that crap. I suspect these sorts of test fall victim to the same phenomenon, just to a lesser extent.

There is the ammo blame game again. I would say it is acceptable for any pistol to have some failures after being buried for two years. In all likelihood it was one of the rusted out parts to blame. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be the ammo.

POTI said:
    Wonder why my RIA says 1911a1 on the side then hmmmmmm Sorry but you are 100% incorrect in your statement. and still you dont see 100's of 1911 kabooms like you do glocks. Their .40 design is flawed, some people don't want to admit it but it is. Now if you can replace the barrel with one that is supported then why hasn't Glock fixed thier barrel?

It is all semantics really. Any company can produce a "model" they call a 1911. For instance, Sig makes a model 1911 as well as a model P220 and others. However, their 1911 is after the "style" of the original Colt "model" of 1911. A firearms manufacturer couldn't engrave "Ferrari" down the side of a gun but it wouldn't make it a ferrari. I'm not knocking your RIA. I hear they are fine guns. And there is no shortage of people who thing other manufacturers make a better 1911 the Colt, but to get very specific there is a host of manufacturers that make a 1911 style pistol but it doesn't make it any less a 1911. Colt is just the original maker of the model 1911.

You do have glocks nailed down. I'm with you there. I have often asked the same question. The unsupported, oversized chamber is part of glocks reliability formula. The high quality aftermarket barrels don't seem to affect that much, but I wonder if a "average" quality factory barrel might. Although my instincts say glock hasn't addressed this for another reason.

That is, not enough demand. Sure, some people are leery or completely turned off by the chamber design, but the glock loyals are just that; fiercely loyal. As long as glocks are selling like rice cakes at a jenny craig convention and the people buying them don't mind the vast and various design flaws why would the company change a thing? Glock makes a simple, straight forward, inexpensive, light weight, reliable pistol. They can price them so police departments can't resist. I assume they listen to their customers and, right now, their customers are saying :yesway:. Beside, it's always the ammo's fault. I think they would sell even more if there were some actual options beside small, medium and large. Yet, I don't see even basic options on glocks agenda in the foreseeable future, let alone a properly sized fully supported chamber.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I don't like manual safties, SO I carry a glock.
    You know they're not the only one without a manual safety?
    I don't like grip safeties so I carry a glock.
    you know they're not the only one without a grip safety?
    Police in my area carry a glcok so I carry a glock incase I ever need spare ammo.
    Are you serious?? "Hey officer, can you toss me a couple magazines for my Glock? I'm running a little low right now." Or is it "Hey guy over there with the Glock, we need you to save the day. I noticed you're carrying a Glock, so here's some ammo for you.
    I Like Glocks they will eat anything I put at them, they work to the point of being boring, I fI had to shoot something else I can do it, I aslo own two sigs and a beratta 92 I can run those guns as well,
    Yup, just like pretty much every other gun out there. Some non-Glocks will even fire cast lead bullets and reloads.
    I don't liek magazine disconects so I avoid SMith same with those KEy locks, SO I avoid smith and tuarus.

If you like somethng else fine, but Give me reasons other then "it's not a glock"
    Or you Xd guys tell me what is superior about your design.
    or you glock guys explain why you think that every advance in weapons in the last 30 years is worthless.
    My freind went through a LArry Vicker Operators course a whle ago, let with the mpression one should be willng to spend obsecene amounts of time/effort tunning, lubing, testing and reparing the 1911 or just get a sig or Glock.

Google Image Result for http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/kaBooms/ColtkaBoom.jpg

This type of stuff needs to end, be glad other people are shooting, regardless of the make, encourage new shooters, THis senslees bickering about GLock V 1911, GLock V xd, 9mm V .45 could be better spent traing, teaching new shooters, finding ammo, or contacting legislators. GEt people shooting, and stop dogging each other for not having "your" choice in a gun, Unless they have a ruger.

+1 to kingnereli

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I know they aren't the only ones wthout a manual saftey or a grip saftey, But who else makes a pistol as well as a glock? Smith M&P series, WHile I love the feel, I hate the reciprocating trigger, and the key lock saftey, THe walther P99 is more complicated, has a higher bore axis, and more expensive magazines, and more expensive replacement parts, then the glock, ( they do a have a superior mag relese, and a much more comfortable grip, and the decocker,) The only other gun that comes to mind that is polymer framed, no manual or grip safeties is the ruger 9c and I have some serious dislike for ruger as a company, and my experience with their products have been less then satisfactory. If you can name some more, please educate me.

"Hey officer, can you toss me a couple magazines for my Glock? I'm running a little low right now." Or is it "Hey guy over there with the Glock, we need you to save the day. I noticed you're carrying a Glock, so here's some ammo for you. Yup, just like pretty much every other gun out there.

Seriously? way to be a smartass, THis is the same logic as running an Ar-15. Compatability. If I have the same mags or gun as them I can use their ammo now can't I. I could write up some elaborate Mall ninja scenario for you, but why waste the effort. I am sure you are intelligent enough to figure out if your gear is compatable with those around you then you could in a worst case scenario share equipment.

Some non-Glocks will even fire cast lead bullets and reloads. or you glock guys explain why you think that every advance in weapons in the last 30 years is worthless.

I don't know of a single modern pistol that will honor the warranty if you shoot reloads through it, not saying it doesn't exist, but very infrequent I would guess. THere are some advantages to polygonal rifling and the disatvantage of not being able to shoot lead is negligable, modern ammo is FMJ or JHP, not cast lead, you want to shot cast lead dust off a revolver, Many guns may be able to shoot lead but I bet even with them it is not recomended, even the 1911 if you recall was designed to shoot 230 grain ball ammo with a full copper jacket. What advances are you reffering to?
    the only ones I see are ramped barrels instead of bushings, and the dual recoil springs that are becoming popular? maybe i'm missing something but the last 30 years seems like modifactions and revisons and not real advances, Just my outlook. Even new guns like the HK 45 the only things it does diffrent then the 1911 is polymer frame, double action, hi cap mags, finger groves, adjustable backstraps, and the o ring bushing. Not so much advancements as modifications. nothing there is new, just finally put together. so please elaborate on these advancements, I obviously over looked them.

If you are talking about the rotating barrels like the beretta Px4 or STI GP6 I for one am intrigued. However skeptical, I need to play with one, and beat it up a little In theroy I have no issue though ( AK's have a rotaing bold sig 556, 551 etc.) its just relativley new, and there for I still want to see one that has been put through the paces that a glock or Xd has endured. BUt even those come with Manual safties.

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I know they aren't the only ones wthout a manual saftey or a grip saftey, But who else makes a pistol as well as a glock? Smith M&P series, WHile I love the feel, I hate the reciprocating trigger, and the key lock saftey, THe walther P99 is more complicated, has a higher bore axis, and more expensive magazines, and more expensive replacement parts, then the glock, ( they do a have a superior mag relese, and a much more comfortable grip, and the decocker,) The only other gun that comes to mind that is polymer framed, no manual or grip safeties is the ruger 9c and I have some serious dislike for ruger as a company, and my experience with their products have been less then satisfactory. If you can name some more, please educate me.
    Everybody. step away from the koolade.
    "Hey officer, can you toss me a couple magazines for my Glock? I'm running a little low right now." Or is it "Hey guy over there with the Glock, we need you to save the day. I noticed you're carrying a Glock, so here's some ammo for you. Yup, just like pretty much every other gun out there.

Seriously? way to be a smartass, THis is the same logic as running an Ar-15. Compatability. If I have the same mags or gun as them I can use their ammo now can't I. I could write up some elaborate Mall ninja scenario for you, but why waste the effort. I am sure you are intelligent enough to figure out if your gear is compatable with those around you then you could in a worst case scenario share equipment.
    I got an AR-15 because I like AR-15s, not because I have delusions of coming to the aid of officers in distress. Maybe I should buy a Mini-14 so I can share magazines with the A-team.
    Some non-Glocks will even fire cast lead bullets and reloads. or you glock guys explain why you think that every advance in weapons in the last 30 years is worthless.

I don't know of a single modern pistol that will honor the warranty if you shoot reloads through it, not saying it doesn't exist, but very infrequent I would guess.
    Most modern pistols function fine with reloads and lead. why not glock?
    THere are some advantages to polygonal rifling and the disatvantage of not being able to shoot lead is negligable, modern ammo is FMJ or JHP, not cast lead, you want to shot cast lead dust off a revolver, Many guns may be able to shoot lead but I bet even with them it is not recomended, even the 1911 if you recall was designed to shoot 230 grain ball ammo with a full copper jacket.
    My revolvers aren't dusty. :dunno: I carry them all the time. I also shoot lead through my XD40s. Not often, because it's so dirty, but It's nice to shoot some cheap ammo sometimes. With all these guns that you say I shouldn't shoot reloads through, it's a wonder that dillon, lee, RCBS, Hornady, and the others can even stay in business.
    What advances are you reffering to?
    the only ones I see are ramped barrels instead of bushings, and the dual recoil springs that are becoming popular? maybe i'm missing something but the last 30 years seems like modifactions and revisons and not real advances, Just my outlook.
    of course you wouldn't call them advances. You are making my point that those that drink glock-flavored koolade don't see anything past Gaston's Marvelous Work as an improvement.
    Even new guns like the HK 45 the only things it does diffrent then the 1911 is polymer frame, double action, hi cap mags, finger groves, adjustable backstraps, and the o ring bushing. Not so much advancements as modifications. nothing there is new, just finally put together. so please elaborate on these advancements, I obviously over looked them.

If you are talking about the rotating barrels like the beretta Px4 or STI GP6 I for one am intrigued. However skeptical, I need to play with one, and beat it up a little In theroy I have no issue though ( AK's have a rotaing bold sig 556, 551 etc.) its just relativley new, and there for I still want to see one that has been put through the paces that a glock or Xd has endured. BUt even those come with Manual safties.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    More people complain online about glock ergonomics and the .40 kaboom than any other brand of handgun I see online. I was a glock fan, but I hated how it pointed. Saying Glock is the best is just blind following. They are just another gun manufacturer. I like to have an external hammer on my weapon and I abosolutely HATE the fact that you have to pull the trigger to take it down. I mean, I check my chamber 10x before taking a gun down, but that still bothers me. For such an advanced design, it seems like an idiotic thing to build into a new pistol.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    I have converted alot of Glockofiles over to CZ. Shoot a cz-75 and you might too. I own several different firearm's calibers and brands. I shot a glock and was turned off by the grip angle at first. Now I am mainly turned off not by its many flaws but by the fanboy's

If you can't handle the maintenance of a 1911 then maybe you shouldn't own a gun. It requires less then an automobile.

kingnereli I am just saying that for it to be a style it has to emulate not be a direct 1 for 1 copy. A revolver is a style, A smith 642 is a model.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I've owned A G-19 and a G-27.I had the 19 much longer and shot 1500-2000rds through it with no problems.I just can't warm up to them. I don't like the trigger mainly.I shoot any revolver WAY better than any auto. But the Glocks are accurate, one of histories better pistols. I have a RUGER P-95 for HD, but I'm not going to say the P-95 is better than anything else. Any one ever date a really pretty girl who seemed to have it all, just to discover that you just don't "click"? That's the way I feel about Glocks. One of the best pistols, just not for me. If you love them ,great, you'll get no grief from me.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Everybody. step away from the koolade.

I got an AR-15 because I like AR-15s, not because I have delusions of coming to the aid of officers in distress. Maybe I should buy a Mini-14 so I can share magazines with the A-team.

Most modern pistols function fine with reloads and lead. why not glock?

My revolvers aren't dusty. :dunno: I carry them all the time. I also shoot lead through my XD40s. Not often, because it's so dirty, but It's nice to shoot some cheap ammo sometimes. With all these guns that you say I shouldn't shoot reloads through, it's a wonder that dillon, lee, RCBS, Hornady, and the others can even stay in business.

of course you wouldn't call them advances. You are making my point that those that drink glock-flavored koolade don't see anything past Gaston's Marvelous Work as an improvement.

+1 back at you. Good points and I love the A-Team.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I'm still waiting for what you call and advance in pistol technology. ANd I would like to see where any pistol manufacturer's warranty isn't void by shooting reloads.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Last edited:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I don't think it's a "combat" pistol in terms of warfare and such. The fact that it's an internal hammer design means that if it doesn't ignite old/hardened primers often found in old military ammo in the field, you have to pull back the slide, eject the round and try again. I like the fact that you can manipulate the hammer via DA on the beretta. Is it a good self-defense gun? Yeah, most can say that, though. Is it good for LE? I don't know, I guess it is due to the reliabilty and cost. The gun does have some flaws, though.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    MOSIN NAGANT FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh wait wrong section... i like glocks???

my glock was made around christmas and new years back in 94-95 and she still works flawlessly.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom