• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I have yet to see this kind of trend with any other gun manufacturer which proves Glock rocks!

I finally get it. Not everyone judges a pistol's quality the same. Some look at material quality, design features, ergonomics, reliability, etc. Some people take a head count of user names. That's why glocks are so popular.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    exactly what causes a glock to explode like that? just over pressured ammo i.e +P or just the design itself?

Despite what Glockers will try to claim, it's not always a double charged reload, or +P round. It happens plenty with standard pressure factory ammo. It's happened to a member of this forum. The chamber is only partially supported, which means the brass must take the full pressure of the round discharging. The brass isn't always up to the task. Some folks see the partially supported chamber as a design flaw, some say it enhances reliability. I see it as a design flaw, because there are plenty of guns that have fully supported chambers and are every bit as reliable as a Glock. More to the point, people who replace the stock barrel in a Glock with an aftermarket design with a fully supported chamber aren't reporting any decrease in reliability.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I finally get it.
    It took until now for you to see "it"? ;)

2784562781_2393b2192f.jpg

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Despite what Glockers will try to claim, it's not always a double charged reload, or +P round. It happens plenty with standard pressure factory ammo. It's happened to a member of this forum. The chamber is only partially supported, which means the brass must take the full pressure of the round discharging. The brass isn't always up to the task. Some folks see the partially supported chamber as a design flaw, some say it enhances reliability. I see it as a design flaw, because there are plenty of guns that have fully supported chambers and are every bit as reliable as a Glock. More to the point, people who replace the stock barrel in a Glock with an aftermarket design with a fully supported chamber aren't reporting any decrease in reliability.

0000024873_350.jpg

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I made a reasoned and factual post. If this is the best you can respond with, I'd suggest you back away from the computer and leave the conversation to adults.

Take it easy buddy. Just having some fun.

I actually like all kinds of guns and really don't hate any.

Thanks for giving me the advice to back away from the computer. I'm clearly not ready to sit at the big table with the grown ups ;)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Take it easy buddy. Just having some fun.

I actually like all kinds of guns and really don't hate any.

Thanks for giving me the advice to back away from the computer. I'm clearly not ready to sit at the big table with the grown ups ;)

Sorry. It just seems anytime one dares say anything mildly critical of a Glock you open yourself up to a bunch of Chihuahua's nipping at your ankles. I overreacted.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am interested to know how often this actually happens (KABOOM's that is). There are a high number of Glocks out there and I have never seen anything like that happen. I have read about the unsupported chamber but I would like to know how often this occurs with factory loaded ammo or ammo that is not double charged since some claim that it is not always the double charge. Anyone have any numbers......

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Go to google images and type in gun kaboom and count the number of glocks. There are WAAAAAYYYY more 1911 pistols out there so the argument that its because there are a lot of glocks doesn't hold water.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've shot Glock .40 S&W for 11 years now.

Use common safety, do not shoot reloads and keep your Glock to spec, clean and I seriously doubt this will occur.

TK :patriot:

I am interested to know how often this actually happens (KABOOM's that is). There are a high number of Glocks out there and I have never seen anything like that happen. I have read about the unsupported chamber but I would like to know how often this occurs with factory loaded ammo or ammo that is not double charged since some claim that it is not always the double charge. Anyone have any numbers......

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Go to google images and type in gun kaboom and count the number of glocks. There are WAAAAAYYYY more 1911 pistols out there so the argument that its because there are a lot of glocks doesn't hold water.

1911 is not a brand, it is a style. 1911 copies are made in the philippines, argentina, brazil, canada, spain, and who knows where else out of who knows what kind of pot metal.
    Buy junk; get junk.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    1911 is not a brand, it is a style. 1911 copies are made in the philippines, argentina, brazil, canada, spain, and who knows where else out of who knows what kind of pot metal.
    Buy junk; get junk.

And you still don't see them going Kaboom... thank you for helping make my point.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not. I honestly hope you know 1911 isn't a style its a model.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

No matter which side of this someone lands they have to admit kabooms can't be considered common. So finding something like a case study with an adequate number of subjects or something like that would be very hard to find. It is just that with glocks it happens with enough regularity that people have taken notice. There are whole websites devoted to the glock kb. (Glock kB! FAQ v1.35 for example.) Whatever it is it isn't just glock haters trying to smear glocks good name.

Yes there are several factors involved. Most kb's occur with reloads so it is a safe assumption that there was an overcharge. However, the frequency is greater with glocks and compounded by the unsupported chamber and ability to fire out of battery as well. These two design flaws also allow that a kb can happen with factory loaded ammunition. For me, that completely changes the ball game. I have challenged the glock powers that be on this forum to show a handgun with a fully supported chamber kabooming with factory ammunition. I haven't seen it yet. The existence of any possibility that can put a factory round into a gun that I paid several hundred dollars for and have it spontaneously disassemble on me makes glock a no go (not to mention all the other things I don't like about glock.:D)

I will throw you glock guys a bone though in hopes to avoid the pointless "basher" comments. The chances of this happening are very low and are way down the lists of reasons why I don't place glock in the realm of "shoot what you like because most modern firearms are of equal quality and reliability and most things are just preference." When I shoot glocks that belong to some of my friends it is barely a tickle in the back of my mind that the gun may kb can cut up my hand. If you shoot a 9mm glock the chances are next to none. It has happened though. If any glock owner does have some reservations about this there are after market barrel options with a fully supported chamber. I just basically get annoyed with the mentality that it is always the ammo at fault.

HICKMAN said:
    Links please, I'd like to see where we've made such claims.

We ALL know there have been issues with the .40

Didn't you follow the thread about mercop's glock? I see a post of yours on the last page so I assume you did. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...own_round_in_chamber_new_mag_catch_gtg-2.html

It was full of the ammo blame game. Because it was a factory round some even questioned the metallurgy of the brass. There is a very clear pic of the factory brass blown out where it isn't supported by the chamber. It's a good example of the issue at hand and the reluctance to just all out blame the gun when a kb happens. When there is a reload involved there is some leeway to allow for an overcharge. When a glock kb's with a factory round it's the guns fault.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    And you still don't see them going Kaboom... thank you for helping make my point.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not. I honestly hope you know 1911 isn't a style its a model.

I disagree. Do a web image search and you'll find plenty of KB'ed 1911s.

That being said - I really don't trust the stock barrel on a 40-cal glock with reloads. Mine has a KKM barrel.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    I have to add my own little caveat the 9mm is a very strong platform for Glock and I hear almost 0 complaints about that model.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom