• ...and so much more!
  • MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    Glad to:

1. Congress did not print a Bible for use in schools.
    2. John Adams did not think governments must be administered by the Holy Ghost.
    3. Jefferson did not date his documents "In the Year of Our Lord Christ".
    4. Our Constitution is not based on the Book of Deuteronomy.
    5. More than half the signers of the Declaration of Independence were not ministers.
    6. Thomas Jefferson did not send Christian missionaries to evangelize the Indians.
    7. Benjamin Franklin did not choose to begin a treaty in the name of the trinity.
    8. Thomas Jefferson did not tell the Marine Band to play at church services.
    9. The Danbury Baptists did not write to Thomas Jefferson about the First Amendment, they wrote about religious discrimination by the Connecticut State government.
    10. Thomas Jefferson did not start church services at the Capitol.
    11. Peter Muhlenberg did not rip off his clerical robes to reveal a Revolutionary Army uniform and recruit over three hundred soldiers on the spot from his church's congregation.

Want details? Go to Liars For Jesus and watch Chris Rodda's videos. Read the sample chapters she has online. Get the book and read it. Go back to the source documents and read them in their entirety. I bought and read the book. I looked up the source documents and compared them with her quotes to the extent possible. (Barton has purchased a number of the original documents and made them pretty much unavailable, though copies that predate his purchase are still easy enough to locate.) They matched up perfectly. She showed without a doubt that David Barton, and by extension Mr. Beck, did not speak the truth. Not even close. I eagerly await her second book on the subject. I hope that she can find the time to finish and publish it. I'll buy it the moment I'm aware it's available.

Did you know that Benjamin Franklin did (very uncharacteristically) suggest prayer at the Continental Convention of 1787? He did it to goad the men there into working toward a compromise after a long period of stalemate. "If you can't do it maybe you should ask for God's help" didn't set well with the fairly large egos assembled in Philadelphia. Ol' Ben was quite a character. Several, including Alexander Hamilton, were quite insulted. More info about this can be found in The Great Rehearsal by Carl VanDoren.

Bummer.

I have read the reading you requested sir, as much as i could without buying the book ... so I might be missing some key point. Please be patient.

It is interesting the philosophy she presents as a whole, but hard for me to swallow because of my conservative, christian values and beliefs, so in the end, it might just be me being a bull headed conservative A$%hole that is refusing to see the other side. hey.... lets be honest.... I can be quit the bull headed A$%hole.

To the arguments presented here, the documents she took from Beck and to a more pointed degree David Barton are taken out of context. When placed in the entire document and supported by the original writers own memoirs, the context purported by Barton has more bearing, IMO. Please though sir, take the time now to read Barton's drivel or Becks mindless psychotic ramblings to have a reference for my refutation.

Thanks again Bummer. Always a good conversation with you.

M

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    Here is an example:

#2 John Adams did not think governments must be administered by the Holy Ghost.

That is on it's face correct. And the way that she (and you here) are writing it, it say's that John Adams did not believe the Holy Ghost had anything to do with the operations or actions of a divinely inspired government. I on the other hand disagree mainly because the Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit) is guiding my actions an a daily basis.

(Personal, Preachy.... Little questionable for here... please let me make my point mods).

But back to Adams writings ... He did believe the Holy Spirit guided the actions of this legitimate country.

“The Holy Ghost carries on the whole Christian system in this earth. Not a baptism, not a marriage, not a sacrament can be administered but by the Holy Ghost. . . . There is no authority, civil or religious – there can be no legitimate government but what is administered by this Holy Ghost. There can be no salvation without it. All without it is rebellion and perdition, or in more orthodox words damnation."

And because of this belief, our country and it's faith were guided to it's place in history.

Please sir, please ready another point of view and see for yourself why we disagree.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Here is an example:

That is on it's face correct. And the way that she (and you here) are writing it, it say's that John Adams did not believe the Holy Ghost had anything to do with the operations or actions of a divinely inspired government. I on the other hand disagree mainly because the Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit) is guiding my actions an a daily basis.

(Personal, Preachy.... Little questionable for here... please let me make my point mods).

But back to Adams writings ... He did believe the Holy Spirit guided the actions of this legitimate country.

“The Holy Ghost carries on the whole Christian system in this earth. Not a baptism, not a marriage, not a sacrament can be administered but by the Holy Ghost. . . . There is no authority, civil or religious – there can be no legitimate government but what is administered by this Holy Ghost. There can be no salvation without it. All without it is rebellion and perdition, or in more orthodox words damnation."

And because of this belief, our country and it's faith were guided to it's place in history.

Please sir, please ready another point of view and see for yourself why we disagree.

Here are some good Adams quotes for you

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?"
    -letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved-- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"
    -letter to Thomas Jefferson

"The priesthood have, in all ancient nations, nearly monopolized learning. And ever since the Reformation, when or where has existed a Protestant or dissenting sect who would tolerate A FREE INQUIRY? The blackest billingsgate, the most ungentlemanly insolence, the most yahooish brutality, is patiently endured, countenanced, propagated, and applauded. But touch a solemn truth in collision with a dogma of a sect, though capable of the clearest proof, and you will find you have disturbed a nest, and the hornets will swarm about your eyes and hand, and fly into your face and eyes."
    - letter to John Taylor

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity."
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of Nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles?"

"God is an essence that we know nothing of. Until this awful blasphemy is got rid of, there will never be any liberal science in the world."

". . . Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind."

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."

Thanks,
    Matthew

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Here are some good Adams quotes for you

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?"
    -letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved-- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"
    -letter to Thomas Jefferson

"The priesthood have, in all ancient nations, nearly monopolized learning. And ever since the Reformation, when or where has existed a Protestant or dissenting sect who would tolerate A FREE INQUIRY? The blackest billingsgate, the most ungentlemanly insolence, the most yahooish brutality, is patiently endured, countenanced, propagated, and applauded. But touch a solemn truth in collision with a dogma of a sect, though capable of the clearest proof, and you will find you have disturbed a nest, and the hornets will swarm about your eyes and hand, and fly into your face and eyes."
    - letter to John Taylor

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity."
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of Nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles?"

"God is an essence that we know nothing of. Until this awful blasphemy is got rid of, there will never be any liberal science in the world."

". . . Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind."

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."

Thanks,
    Matthew

Do a good search on the above quotes an you will find they were not original quotes or just plain false...."God is an essence....." For one are 2 quotes from 5 years apart takin out of a longer paragraphs, takin out of context, then put together to mean something that was never said.....something that liars an haters of truth love to do to destroy an discredit an idividual an promote "their cause".....the internet is full of these these days....

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Bummer.

I have read the reading you requested sir, as much as i could without buying the book ... so I might be missing some key point. Please be patient.

It is interesting the philosophy she presents as a whole, but hard for me to swallow because of my conservative, christian values and beliefs, so in the end, it might just be me being a bull headed conservative A$%hole that is refusing to see the other side. hey.... lets be honest.... I can be quit the bull headed A$%hole.

To the arguments presented here, the documents she took from Beck and to a more pointed degree David Barton are taken out of context. When placed in the entire document and supported by the original writers own memoirs, the context purported by Barton has more bearing, IMO. Please though sir, take the time now to read Barton's drivel or Becks mindless psychotic ramblings to have a reference for my refutation.

Thanks again Bummer. Always a good conversation with you.

M

Her documents are taken out of context? She merely takes the quotes mined by David Barton, and parroted by Beck, and shows the original works. Barton, and in turn Beck, take the quotes out of context. Rodda supplies the full context allowing the reader to see what actually happened. Rodda is the one who uses the full documents as originally written, not Barton or Beck.

Let's take the Congress bought Bibles for schools story.

Beck attempts to show a frontispiece from one of the Aitken Bibles including praise for it by Congress and implying that they had commissioned it. What he doesn't tell, probably because Barton didn't tell him, is that when Aitken petitioned Congress to finance his printing of Bibles, Congress didn't have any money, so they said no. They couldn't even pay the Revolutionary War soldiers. I have no idea what they would have done, had they had any money, since that's not what happened. What they were able to do was have a group of chaplains look over the Bibles and comment on them. What the chaplains said was that they were accurate copies of the Bible. That's pretty much it.

Quoting from Journals Of The Continental Congress 1774-1789, vol 23, edited by Gaillard Hunt and published by the Government Printing Office in Washington DC in 1914, page 574:

"Whereupon, Resolved, That the United States in Congress assembled, highly approve and applaud the pious undertaking of Mr. Aitken, as subservient to the interest of religion as well as an instance of the progress of arts in this country, and being satisfied from the above report, of his care and accuracy in the execution if the work, they recommend this addition of the Bible to the inhabitants of the United States and hereby authorize him to publish this recommendation in the manner he shall think proper."

Aitken used only part of the entire statement because he was trying to sell his Bibles. Barton only uses part of that quote because the whole thing doesn't actually support his contention. I believe that Barton, since he purports to be relating actual history, should have gone back to the original document to verify the accuracy of the statement printed in the front of the Aitken Bible. For now I will assume he did not seek verification. The alternative would move him from incompetent to outright fraud.

The fact is, the Congress never purchased or paid for even one Bible. Further, it turned out that Aitken had somewhat overestimated the demand for Bibles to the extent that he lost 3000£ on the 10000 copies he did print. He then petitioned President George Washington asking that since he had lost so much, he be made printer to the Congress. Washington had his secretary tell Aitken that if he wanted to be printer to the Congress he should petition Congress.

Bottom line: Congress never bought any Bibles for schools, for the Indians, or for Revolutionary War soldiers. Aitken petitioned for each but was turned down each time. It's all in the Congressional record.

Most folks seek the truth until they find something that supports what they already believe. I don't think Beck took the time to do the research. He assumed Barton was telling the truth because Barton told him what he wanted to hear. Beck isn't searching for the truth. He's searching for validation. This also does not speak well of Mr. Beck's "Christian values". He's fully willing to accept a comfortable lie rather than yield to an uncomfortable truth. I believe God, and by association Jesus, want us to seek truth, not lies.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Here is an example:

Could it be that we disagree because I seek truth no matter how uncomfortable and you seek validation for your belief in the Holy Ghost?

Here is the text of the entire letter. Note that I've bolded a portion that you might (not) want to read twice.:

"Quincy December 21. 1809.

My Dear Sir, -- I thank you for the pleasing account of your Family in your favour of the 5th. As I take a lively interest in their Prosperity and Felicity, your relation of it gave me great Pleasure. We have Letters from our Colony navigating the Baltic, dated at Christiansand. They had been so far as prosperous, healthy and happy as such Travellers could expect to be.

Pope said of my Friend General Oglethorpe

Some driven by strong Benevolence of soul

Shall fly like Oglethorpe from Pole to Pole.

But what was a Trip to Georgia in Comparison with the Journeys and Voyages that J. Q. Adams has performed ? I do not believe that Admiral Nelson ever ran greater Risques at sea.

Tell Richard that I hope Mrs. Rush will soon present him with a son that will do him as much honour in proportion, as the first born of his Genius has already done him in the opinion of the world. W. S. S. our Guardian of the Athenaeum has obtained it and proclaimed it loudly every where the best Pamphlet that ever he read. Be sure you do not hint this to Mrs. Rush Senr. It would allarm her Delicacy.

I really do not know whether I do not envy your City of Philadelphia for its Reputation for Science, Arts and Letters and especially its Medical Professor. I know not either whether I do not envy you your Genius and Imagination. Why have not I some Fancy? some Invention? some Ingenuity? some discursive Faculty? Why has all my Life been consumed in searching for Facts and Principles and Proofs and Reasons to support them? Your Dreams and Fables have more Genius in them than all my Life. Your Fable of Dorcas would make a good Chapter or a good Appendix to The Tale of a Tub.

But my Friend there is something very serious in this Business. The Holy Ghost carries on the whole Christian system in this earth. Not a Baptism, not a Marriage not a Sacrament can be administered but by the Holy Ghost, who is transmitted from age to age by laying the hands of the Bishops on the heads of Candidates for the Ministry. In the same manner as the holy Ghost is transmitted from Monarch to Monarch by the holy oil in the vial at Rheims which was brought down from Heaven by a Dove and by that other Phyal which I have seen in the Tower of London. There is no Authority civil or religious: there can be no legitimate Government but what is administered by this Holy Ghost. There can be no salvation without it. All, without it is Rebellion and Perdition, or in more orthodox words Damnation. Although this is all Artifice and Cunning in the secret original in the heart, yet they all believe it so sincerely that they would lay down their Lives under the Ax or the fiery Fagot for it. Alas the poor weak ignorant Dupe human Nature. There is so much King Craft, Priest Craft, Gentlemens Craft, Peoples Craft, Doctors Craft, Lawyers Craft, Merchants Craft, Tradesmens Craft, Labourers Craft and Devils Craft in the world, that it seems a desperate and impracticable Project to undeceive it.

Do you wonder that Voltaire and Paine have made Proselytes? Yet there was as much subtlety, Craft and Hypocrisy in Voltaire and Paine and more too than in Ignatius Loyola.

This Letter is so much in the tone of my Friend the Abby Raynal and the Grumblers of the last age, that I pray you to burn it. I cannot copy it.

Your Prophecy my dear Friend has not become History as yet. I have no Resentment or Animosity against the Gentleman and abhor the Idea of blackening his Character or transmitting him in odious Colours to Posterity.

But I write with difficulty and am afraid of diffusing myself in too many Correspondences. If I should receive a Letter from him however I should not fail to acknowledge and answer it.

The Auroras you sent me for which I thank you, are full of Momentous Matter.

I am Dear Sir with every friendly sentiment yours

J. Adams"

"Although this is all Artifice and Cunning..." In other words, he didn't believe it. He was trying to make a point about the religious pronouncements of Kings. Kings who said that their part in history was handed them by God. By taking part of Adams' letter out of context it appears that was Adams' belief when in fact it was not. Happens all the time. As Adams stated, it's difficult to undeceive people. Most of 'em don't appreciate it.

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    I stand corrected and embarrassed.

I am outmatched and need to read more then i think i should have before i spouted off here. I am more wrong then I am comfortable saying here.

I apologize. I Seemed to have taken things out of context without further validation and research.

"Could it be that we disagree because I seek truth no matter how uncomfortable and you seek validation for your belief in the Holy Ghost?"

No.... I was being arrogant and too cocky to stand on the merit's i purported here.

once again, thank you for being nice and direct without being personal with your comments.

M

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    No useful purpose would be served by being rude. All it would do is alienate. That's not really all that helpful.

There's no need to apologize. No need to be embarrassed. There's no shame in not knowing something, only in being unwilling to learn.

Something to think about: How could the guy who cut that quote out of Adams' letter not know that he was turning Adams' meaning around? How could he not know he was creating a lie?

I feel Beck's just a guy who wanted really badly to believe and got taken for a ride. Barton has quote mined repeatedly. He can't not know.

By the way, the rest of those points I mentioned go down just as hard.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Can someone post up in here as soon as he gets a job back? His show was much funnier to me than Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert (because they usually have more research involved even if it is done more in the name of comedy). I'm not sure where I'll get my opinions if not from a delusional ex drunk/coke head. Beck made it pretty easy, I NEVER had to research...just catch a few minutes of his show and stay as far from his overly dramatic and delusional views and I'll be just fine.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Can someone post up in here as soon as he gets a job back? His show was much funnier to me than Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert (because they usually have more research involved even if it is done more in the name of comedy). I'm not sure where I'll get my opinions if not from a delusional ex drunk/coke head. Beck made it pretty easy, I NEVER had to research...just catch a few minutes of his show and stay as far from his overly dramatic and delusional views and I'll be just fine.

Hey - why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel about Beck? :D
    (lefty anyone? :dunno: :):)

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace

Humm..... care to point out exactly where he is 'delusional"? Has he said things that were wrong/over the top, yes he has but he is human like the rest of us. That being said, I find the vast majority of what he has said to be about spot on, even though some choose not to believe it. And what does the fact he is a RECOVERED alcoholic/drug user have to do with anything?:dunno:

Care to comment on the "other side" stating the Republicans want to force your grandparents to eat dog food, or doing away with Social Security/Medicad/Medicare, blah, blah blah.... That not even delusional, it's outright lying.

Why is it only the people on the "right" are held to a prefect standard?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL

Beck never tried to hide his FORMER addiction from anyone. In fact, he admits it. And uses it to show people that they can change their lives for the better just as he has.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Beck never tried to hide his FORMER addiction from anyone. In fact, he admits it. And uses it to show people that they can change their lives for the better just as he has.
    \

He just did a substitution of booze and pills for magic undies and golden plates. It's actually part of his act.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

He also told people over and over to not believe anything he said just because he said it. He said research it yourself. Apparently that upset some of the people on here.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    \

He just did a substitution of booze and pills for magic undies and golden plates. It's actually part of his act.

Huh.... wha....???:dunno: You lost me.:n00b:

This thread is getting as stupid as the last Limbaugh thread. If you HATE Beck so bad, and IYO he's full of doodoo, why do you care? If you guys don't watch/listen to him why does he bother you so much?

Why the need to trash someone you disagree with when they're only expressing their opinions which is covered by the First Ammendment.:n00b:

IMO it's pretty juvenile to keep bringing up his FORMER addiction. Good to know YOU never made any mistakes in YOUR life.:yesway: And here all this time I thought Jesus had gone back to heaven.:rolleyes:

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    He also told people over and over to not believe anything he said just because he said it. He said research it yourself. Apparently that upset some of the people on here.

Didn't upset me. I always research "it" myself. That's how I know his "Faith"/"Christian Nation" series was totally unresearched nonsense. Since that's the only thing I know about him, it puts him at 100% fail.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

That didn't upset me at all. It upset me when I did research it and I found out he was lying/withholding the truth. :dunno:

Top Bottom