• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    See here is the problem I have I take no joy in having to shoot anything. I may take pride in the difficulty of the stalk, or of the complexity of the shot. I just do not honestly care one way or the other. Nope not even one little bit. I do not get angry in a fight. So what does that make me...
    That brings to mind the joke:

Q: What does a sniper feel when he shoots a bad guy?

A: Recoil.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So aside from primitive impulses, vengeance, or vendettas, a healthy/rational human will never kill.

God forbids me to maim or kill. But I think he does want me to kick asses sometimes.

The warrior/primitive/psycho thing I never understood. Sheepdogs are understandable.

There are a lot of unhealthy/irrational humans out there...

Reference for the God forbids me to maim or kill thingy...

The best Sheepdogs are tame Wolves...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    ETA - Exodus 20:13 - Passage Lookup - New Living Translation - BibleGateway.com
    That covers murder. I don't know of a specific instruction not to maim, except that it would be covered by one of the two greatest commandments, "love your neighbor as yourself" because love would not maim a person (obviously not referring to the maiming that may happen to somebody who is subject to the violent termination of criminal behavior).

The best Sheepdogs are tame Wolves...
    QFT.

My new sig, as well.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    ETA - Exodus 20:13 - Passage*Lookup - New Living Translation - BibleGateway.com
    That covers murder. I don't know of a specific instruction not to maim, except that it would be covered by one of the two greatest commandments, "love your neighbor as yourself" because love would not maim a person (obviously not referring to the maiming that may happen to somebody who is subject to the violent termination of criminal behavior).

See that is what I recall also. I do not have my Bibles here with me to reference and review. :dunno:
    mk2ja said:
    QFT.

My new sig, as well.
    Thank you!
    Plagiarism is the most sincere form of flattery... :D

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    See that is what I recall also. I do not have my Bibles here with me to reference and review. :dunno:

Thank you!
    Plagiarism is the most sincere form of flattery... :D

If you have a mailing address, I'll send you one. Straight up serious if you want one.

And hey! It ain't plagiarism since I cite my source!

jeffers_mz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    Condition green...no threats I'm aware of.

Yellow alert...I may have to use deadly force to stop a threat, right now or very soon. Having to kill someone is an immediate possibility.

Orange alert...I may have to use deadly force to stop an identified threat, one or more specific persons. Having to kill this person, or these people, right here, right now, is an immediate possibility.

Red alert...stop the threat, whatever it takes. Now.

I didn't originate this, I read it somewhere, it works for me.

Once the mindset is in place, training takes over. I'm ahead of the curve, and processing the situation as it develops. I'm constantly running thru my options, all that are available to me, from disengaging, to misdirection, to hand to hand, to deadly force. The decision to kill, if need be, has already been made. The triggers that are likely to necessitate any given option are well known, and firmly in mind at this time. The applicable laws, the advice from the professionals, these are not under consideration at this time, they have been judged and processed, and at this point, the decisions are cast in black and white. The threat is either increasing, or the threat is decreasing, or the threat is negated, and there is cover and physical distance between myself and the potential threat.

I think the majority of hesitation occurs when the decision to use deadly force, or not to use deadly force, to employ violence, or not employ violence, has not been reckoned with in advance. You don't have to have a crystal ball to know where a bad guy can get the drop on you in a parking lot. Even an unskilled person can notice tension in a room, and judge in advance how much further that tension has to escalate before the use of physical violence, or deadly force, is necessary. The area you can't see is a given, whether there's a bad guy hiding there or not.

Going even further, I think...no...I know for a fact...if I didn't have years of experience avoiding trouble in the first place, if I didn't have the knowlege that my own emotions can either destroy me or be harnessed to work to my advantage, at MY discretion, then I would not be able to KNOW I would be capable of taking whatever action the situation demands.

At that point, there's a very good chance that carrying a firearm will only give an opponent something to kill you with. If you can't use it, if you aren't 100% certain you can use it if need be, best to not even have it around. This is not theory. I didn't start carrying until less than a decade ago. Before that I wasn't ready, and more importantly, I KNEW I wasn't ready.

Deep down, you already know what you need to know. If you are honest with yourself, you will admit the truth, and make decisions accordingly. If you still have things you need to prove, to yourself or others, if you don't have control over your emotions, your body, your mouth, precision, surgical control, with primary objectives always crowding out lesser considerations, over years or even decades, then I believe you ought to seriously re-consider any decision to maintain a deadly force capability.

Having a tool in your possession that you know how to use and when to use is a plus. Having a tool in your hands that you are uncertain of, usually adds up to a minus, a potential minus, or a real minus.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom