• ...and so much more!
  • Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Good Morning to all....

Shot the state cowboy black powder match a week ago, shooting in the Plainsman class (cap & ball pistols, single shot rifle and shotgun). I have a new Shiloh Sharps (carbine w/ 26" barrel), and other than 50-60 practice rounds, this was the first time for some serious shooting. What a BLAST!!! While I finished 2nd in the class (only 2 of us) & last in the whole match, it was so much fun ( single-shots are slowwwwww). So as not to tear up the targets, I used about 35 grains BP, with cream of wheat filler and a 250 grain bullet. These shot real well, and I did not have any rifle misses (cowboy distances are close).

If anyone needs help with BP loads, let me know; and if you don't have reloading gear, we can make arrangements for you to come over and load your own.

Happy Shooting..... Grizhicks

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've owned a 1895 & a 1895G and I never got the good accuracy that I hear about on the internet. I'm still a fan of the 45/70, but if I were to ever buy another one, it'd be a H&R Buffalo Classic. For whatever reason that rifle has always interested me.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hi Grizhicks: Awesome shooting. I have not done black power. Not yet anyway. Great shooting. Sounds like you really had a good time. I also see you are a ham. 73 de w9amr sk.

Hi Teddy12b: Sorry to here about the accuracy issue. I will let you know how the Henry shoots. I also looked at the H&R. It looks like a really neat gun. If you get one please let us know how it shoots. I have also been looking at the Ruger One bolt action. I will be getting one in the near future if I can find one.

Thanks for the great info guys!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hi Teddy12b: Sorry to here about the accuracy issue. I will let you know how the Henry shoots. I also looked at the H&R. It looks like a really neat gun. If you get one please let us know how it shoots. I have also been looking at the Ruger One bolt action. I will be getting one in the near future if I can find one.

If I ever get one I'll be trying to max out the accuracy and distance that it can shoot. It just looks like a poh boys quigley rifle to me and I like it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I finally saw Quigley down under for the first time last week. What a awesome movie. It really makes you want to buy a Sharps! The H&R's are not very expensive. I would not mind having the longer barrel.

Top Bottom