• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Perhaps you might not want to shoot that, I've heard they're dangerous. If you'd like, I'd be glad to help you dispose of it.

Greengunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Ripley Co.
    Agree whole heartedly with what Mad Dog said. I have an older 1895 and also a Magnum Research BFR in 45-70. Both are incredibly accurate. If you reload though is where the fun begins with the 45-70.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's great to see all the info and picks. You guys sure aren't trying to talk me out of it! lol. I am hoping to find one shortly and hopefully closer to home. I probably will part with a few guns I don't shoot much so I can say I am being a little practial about it :-)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    If you can't make up your mind on a 45-70 or 45-90 or 45-110, just find a used TC muzzleloader and have the barrel altered to have a bore diameter of .458. Then cast any weight of .45 rifle bullet you want. Mine is a New Englander. I'm using 420 grains of soft lead, card wad stamped out of egg cartons and plenty of FFg. It's the best 45-70-80-90 I ever saw.

Buck67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I would think you could load your own. But I would stick with newer powders.

Better to stick with Blackpowder, the gun may be modern steel but the design was meant for the lower pressures of blackpowder. A 45-70 loaded with blackpowder has about the same chamber pressure as a modern 12 ga shotgun.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I have got an early Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 that I have not shot yet due to the fact I only want to shoot it with blackpowder cartridges...So if an INGO'er knows where a man might find some of those.....:):

I would be happy...:D

Load your own. Your brass will last for eternity and that round will behave how its supposed to. Besides, black powder loads are not exactly on every shelf. Lee makes a squeeze handloading press that you can take in a bag with you that would come in really handy for stuff like this.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I (for some odd reason) feel the need to shoot a 45-70. I had the chance last night to play! It was a buddies 1895 Marlin. We started off with off the shelve loads then moved to the various Elmer Keith loads.

WoW. Now I really have to find one. I am looking at the Marlin (older) Or a Henry or what ever I can fine. That I can check out. Any comments on different 45-70?

Was not aware Elmer made special loads for this caliber. Now I have 1 million and 1 things to research. :)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Elmer Keith did several rounds for the 45-70. I shot the second heaviest load he recommended. Wow. It was similar to a 416 Ruger that I have shot. I think there are 3 primary Keith loads for 45-70. I think they call them red line loads. I need to research it more too. I will post any info I find. A buy of mine's dad ;oaded the loads I shot. He has the info on the loads and I will be getting it. Although I can probably find it on line.

I am going to go with the 45-70 have found a Marlin 1895 and a Henry that are within driving distance. I am favoring the Henry, I will hold both and compare. I just don't feel like dealing with the QC issues of Marlin. The Marlin had better be really nice! I have been told the Marlin action is stronger and better proven. Any comments?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    1911ly, you suck.

You've stirred up all this 45-70 love and now I'm adding something else to my list of "collect, never sell".

Mad Dog, you're not innocent in this travesty either.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    1911ly, you suck.

You've stirred up all this 45-70 love and now I'm adding something else to my list of "collect, never sell".

Mad Dog, you're not innocent in this travesty either.

If I don't pi$$ of at least one person a day I am not doing something right! Today's a good day :-) lol. If you're nice I'll post range pics :D

Buck67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I shot a buddies 45-110 a couple of times. That was some serious recoil. I'm not sure I would want to shoot a 45-110 regularly. It was fun but you really had to screw up your courage before taking another shot.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    The 45-70 Guide Gun is a blast with some high pressure loads. Unfortionantly, it tends to knock over the target stand even with 12" dia. X 5/8" steel plate.
    I've got a video of shooting steel with the Guide Gun somewhere. Will post if I can edit it down to reasonable size.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Elmer Keith did several rounds for the 45-70. I shot the second heaviest load he recommended. Wow. It was similar to a 416 Ruger that I have shot. I think there are 3 primary Keith loads for 45-70. I think they call them red line loads. I need to research it more too. I will post any info I find. A buy of mine's dad ;oaded the loads I shot. He has the info on the loads and I will be getting it. Although I can probably find it on line.

I am going to go with the 45-70 have found a Marlin 1895 and a Henry that are within driving distance. I am favoring the Henry, I will hold both and compare. I just don't feel like dealing with the QC issues of Marlin. The Marlin had better be really nice! I have been told the Marlin action is stronger and better proven. Any comments?

Brand new Marlin quality sucks. Get a used Marlin and dont look back. Marlin actions, up until a few years ago, were definitely a superior lever gun platform. They are produced simply to retain the name now and the material/machining quality have both suffered greatly. Id get one thats at least 6 years old since thats when they sold to Remington.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I bit the bullet today and put some money down on a 45-70. I tried to be objective. I checked out another 1895 guide gun. What a disappointment. The stock looked like it was fitted with a pocket knife then sanded. The action was really tight and the trigger was at least 10 LB's. I have held 4 Marlins in the last week and two Henry's. I could not see or tell the difference between the Henry's. All the Marlin's has difference's in fit and finish. And all were equally poor IMHO. I have been unable to find a used older guide gun within reasonable range. And I did not want to wait all summer. So I got the Henry. It will hopefully make it to the range over the weekend! Thanks for all the input guys!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I found some Hornady LEVERevolution 325gr FTX. I bought 40 rounds. I am having a little health issue. If I feel better Wednesday or Thursday I will be making a range trip. I will take photos and a few videos. I am really eager to go send a few shot down range! Anyone else want to take their 45-70 in the near future. Maybe a little meet and greet. I am game. I will probably bring the Henry 44mag too. I have some special hand load to test in the 44mag lever gun and my Super Redhawk 44mag. I might even bring my Blackhawk 44s.

Top Bottom