• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I (for some odd reason) feel the need to shoot a 45-70. I had the chance last night to play! It was a buddies 1895 Marlin. We started off with off the shelve loads then moved to the various Elmer Keith loads.

WoW. Now I really have to find one. I am looking at the Marlin (older) Or a Henry or what ever I can fine. That I can check out. Any comments on different 45-70?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've taken a couple of deer with a Thompson Contender pistol in .45-70.

Talk about a handful! Loads of fun to shoot.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Have an H&R Buffallo Clasic, WOW I have never shot it. Bought a 1895 Marlin Guide gun in 450 marlin, loads of fun, expensive to shoot.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have got an early Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 that I have not shot yet due to the fact I only want to shoot it with blackpowder cartridges...So if an INGO'er knows where a man might find some of those.....:):

I would be happy...:D

I would think you could load your own. But I would stick with newer powders.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    To me it would be a guide gun. Short fast handling and still as accurate as the longer barreled guns.

You are going to have to search the Interwebs to find one as they don't sell well in Indiana. I would look for a pre 2006 marlin guide gun.

I have the outfitter in 444 marlin and mine is ported. Nothing like being at the range and watching people move over 2 or 3 benches after a few rounds. Just like the guide gun but in 444 marlin.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You guys that have one are killing me! lol. Thanks for the great info. I might have a lead on a use one. Will buy a new one if i have too. They do seem a little rare around here. Not to many are interesting in them. Pricey ammo. Even if you reload. But that is ok for what i want to do. It just seems like a neat tinkering platform. Something to play with reloadeds.

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    I bought a used guide gun[45-70 made in 2003]. It's been on several hog hunts, one bear hunt, and an African plains game safari. It's been my go to big game rifle for years[except my DG safari to Zimbabwe in 2011]. Unless you are filthy rich, the only way to get the max out of hunting/shooting is to reload. My longest shot was a lazered 187 yds. on a hog down in Texas. The gun was a hoot in Africa, and I took 7 head of plains game with the ole girl. Here's a few pics, just to whet yer appetite. :D

Here's my biggest hog with the 45-70.

My only suggestion, if you are getting a Marlin lever gun, get one made before about 2008. The new ones have way too many QC problems.

Mad Dog

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I have got an early Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 that I have not shot yet due to the fact I only want to shoot it with blackpowder cartridges...So if an INGO'er knows where a man might find some of those.....:):

I would be happy...:D

Find some of the 45-70 Cowboy Load ammo. The box I picked up for my 1873 Springfield Trapdoor was Ultramax. Low velocity ammo.
    20 Rounds .45-70 Cowboy Action 405 Grain Long Range Rifle Ammo - 149168, .45-70 Ammo at Sportsman's Guide Kinda pricey though.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You just had to tease me :-P It looks like a guide gun should do me fine. My other curiousity was whether I should be looking at a longer barrel then the guide gun. You are doing awesome with the shorter barrel.

I plan on shooting nothing but handloads. And I am not thinking about just plinking with it. Thanks for sharing the pics and your history with the gun.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a outfitter (Guide gun in 444 marlin and factory ported) 18.5 inch barrel i also have a 444 marlin XLR with 24 inch barrel. I loose less than 400 fps with most loads. I could try a real slow burning powder but i would think that within 18 inches it would all be burnt anyway.

As far as accuracy i shot the outfitter ofhand better since for me it balances right. off the bench they are equal. I do like the looks of the non traditional XLR in stianless and laminate better than the tradition blue and walnut. That is highly unlike me as it is one of the few guns I have that is not walnut and blued.

If you have deep pockets you might be albe to find a marlin STD (Stainless davidson's trapper) in 45-70 and shave 2.25 inchs off the barrrel. At 16.25 inches it is smaller than the guide gun and is stainless and laminate like the XLR or it's little brother mt 1894ss44ltd. My little LDT is sweet in 44 mag and 16.25 inch barrel.

That little limited is my favorite deer gun.

jrclaxon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Marion
    I have a Navy arms Highwall and use it primarily for Cowboy Action Long Range shooting. I reload with 300 grain lead bullits and 27 grains of 4198 then a quarter of a cotton ball to hold the powder against the primer. Fun to shoot because it doesn't thump like the hunting loads. However:): I did kill a groundhog at 50 yeards while sighting it in with that load. Poor hog made a bad decision to come out at the wrong time. The bullit went in his shoulder and he rolled over and over.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I've taken a couple of deer with a Thompson Contender pistol in .45-70.

You sir, are a badass.:bowdown:

That is a couple of levels beyond a handful.

My dad has a 1873 trapdoor Springfield that my great, great, maybe another great:dunno:, uncle brought home from the Spanish-American war. We shoot it a few times every year and everybody loves it. The uncle was childless, so somebody, long ago, came up with a complicated system for who the rifle will go to when the previous owner dies. My son is next in line for it, which he reminds us of every time we shoot it.

A guide gun is up there on my wishlist. I have seen several over the years at auctions and many of them had a small crack in the stock where the end of the receiver fits into it. Is there a certain vintage that are prone to this, or is common throughout the entire run?

Top Bottom