• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    1991 Desert Storm: Protect the Saudi and Kuwati Oil wells. Ok boyz, time to ante up and ship a little more to Uncle Sam. We solved your problems, how about a bump in return? No Saddam anymore.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I used to work at a gas station, and you are correct. Most of the time we averaged .02 or less.

Even back in the days of true "service stations", the operator was doing pretty well if his gasoline sales paid the overhead. Any real profit came from inside sales and mechanical work.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    1991 Desert Storm: Protect the Saudi and Kuwati Oil wells. Ok boyz, time to ante up and ship a little more to Uncle Sam. We solved your problems, how about a bump in return? No Saddam anymore.
    We have the largest glut of oil since the 50s currently.We exported more oil than we imported last year,and in the first quarter of this year.Our number one export is refined petroleum products(diesel and gas).The US demand is down over 10% since 2008.The supply of gasoline hit a new record just 5 weeks ago,they where running out of storage.Supply has nothing to do with the price currently.Nothing.

That war was not about oil,it was about installing a western central bank(same as Bosnia,Afghanistan,Libya,and most every conflict for the last 60 years).

Oil is not the problem.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    There is actually a reason why when one station raises their prices others follow. It is due to a legal matter. There is an act in place that prevents one gas station from lowering its prices in the event that they could monopolize. Gas stations do not make a killing on gas per the gallon but they do make money. If you take even a few cents and multiply that by the thousands of gallons they sell a day if adds up.

Selling for a lower price doesn't constitute a monopoly.

Main Entry: mo·nop·o·ly
    Pronunciation: \mə-ˈnä-p(ə-)lē\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural mo·nop·o·lies
    Etymology: Latin monopolium, from Greek monopōlion, from mon- + pōlein to sell
    Date: 1534
    1 : exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or concerted action 2 : exclusive possession or control 3 : a commodity controlled by one party

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I don't care for Obama, but he doesn't run the refineries. The oil companies, (to whom he is beholden) run them. Can't really lay this one at his feet. Even the summer/winter formulation nonsense has been around for many, many years.

Seems as though gas prices were blamed on Bush his entire tenure in office, but the same standards clearly don't apply today.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I don't really follow politics as much as I should and I certainly don't take sides for the sake of doing so. However, I certainly don't remember ever paying $4/gal. in central IN. Close to, but not at or above. At that price I've always said it would be cheaper for me to ride a bike than fill my tank up because I could nearly buy a new bike each week for less than a tank of gas.

Before now, I've never paid over $3.89 in the Indy area.

I'll be visiting some local bike shops tomorrow as my truck rests on half a tank. :twocents:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We have the largest glut of oil since the 50s currently.We exported more oil than we imported last year,and in the first quarter of this year.Our number one export is refined petroleum products(diesel and gas).The US demand is down over 10% since 2008.The supply of gasoline hit a new record just 5 weeks ago,they where running out of storage.Supply has nothing to do with the price currently.Nothing.

That war was not about oil,it was about installing a western central bank(same as Bosnia,Afghanistan,Libya,and most every conflict for the last 60 years).

Oil is not the problem.

Where is the demand driving the prices? Still China/India?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    However, I certainly don't remember ever paying $4/gal. in central IN.

I remember all to clearly.

The other thing under Bush was that gas prices were up, but never up this high and staying this high like they have under Obama.

Prices were over 4 dollars for long enough with bush and obummer. I remember several weeks in a row paying over 4 for a gallon.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ran the diesel down to 1/4 tank, so it is parked for a bit. Though, I can still get fuel for $3.87 locally (about the same as last week).

The Jeep still has 3/4 tank, and I have another 10+ gallons in cans, so maybe I can last until it drops a tad.

It's is the variability that bother me so much. I can't think of another industry that has such huge price swings daily.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Seems as though gas prices were blamed on Bush his entire tenure in office, but the same standards clearly don't apply today.

I was not a Bush fan but I corrected those who spouted the BS that Bush was responsible for the gas prices. Sure, Presidential action can have a bump effect but that is about it. I also hate the line my grandfather uses against Obama, "Gas was $1.87 when Bush left office and now look at it." Forgetting the fact that the economy was tanking HARD in 2008 and the gas prices were reflective of that. Now with a "better" economy, they returned to a higher price. We have enough problems that ARE the result of Presidential action/inaction and this isn't really one of them.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I heard something about refinery troubles in Detroit. Of course it happens right before I planned some road trips. Joy.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    We have enough problems that ARE the result of Presidential action/inaction and this isn't really one of them.

Teflon Obama-where nothing sticks to him.

Do you really want to argue the economy is really better today? We have the fewest number of people working in 30 years and the highest proportion of people making a "living" on disability and food stamps. We're going to see another huge bubble burst before Obama is out of office as well.

Top Bottom