• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    There is actually a reason why when one station raises their prices others follow. It is due to a legal matter. There is an act in place that prevents one gas station from lowering its prices in the event that they could monopolize. Gas stations do not make a killing on gas per the gallon but they do make money. If you take even a few cents and multiply that by the thousands of gallons they sell a day if adds up.

I am a firm believer that stations should not be able to raise their prices until they have to pay more for the fuel in their tanks. How is it right that they can raise prices $.30-$.50 per gallon on the same gas they paid for and were selling that much cheaper?

Anyways prices are at $4.19 per gallon in Rockville.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yawn. Gas gets me to work so I can earn a paycheck which in turn allows me to pay the bills. Cell phones, cable tv, Internet, etc don't do that yet there's no grand conspiracies floating about the high prices of those.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    There is actually a reason why when one station raises their prices others follow. It is due to a legal matter. There is an act in place that prevents one gas station from lowering its prices in the event that they could monopolize. Gas stations do not make a killing on gas per the gallon but they do make money. If you take even a few cents and multiply that by the thousands of gallons they sell a day if adds up.

I am a firm believer that stations should not be able to raise their prices until they have to pay more for the fuel in their tanks. How is it right that they can raise prices $.30-$.50 per gallon on the same gas they paid for and were selling that much cheaper?

Anyways prices are at $4.19 per gallon in Rockville.

As someone posted earlier there are still gas stations in the Evansville are at 3.74 while everyone else is 3.99. Then you have Terre Haute ar 4.19 and Indy at 4.25. So which act/rule is that says they have to be about the same price?

Thorntons could lower their price to 3.75 at all their stations right now but they will not because then they would sell out of gas and they do not want those tanks to run dry, they have fuel pumps in them that can burn up without fuel to lubricate them.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    So why O why would they do the refinery maintenance RIGHT when we all are driving the most - schools out and vacation time for many - it totally sux just like Barry to do this crap. :xmad::xmad::xmad:

Gas prices near $4; refinery shutdown blamed - Beloit Daily News: News
    Oil refinery maintenance in the Midwest is being cited as the reason gasoline prices have soared to nearly $4 per gallon in Wisconsin and Illinois.
    USA National Gas Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com

Here in Minnesota refinery shut downs have had gas over $4.00 a gallon for more than 3 weeks.We had the highest prices in the nation for 2 weeks of that averaging over $4.28 a gallon.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So why O why would they do the refinery maintenance RIGHT when we all are driving the most - schools out and vacation time for many - it totally sux just like Barry to do this crap. :xmad::xmad::xmad:
    I don't care for Obama, but he doesn't run the refineries. The oil companies, (to whom he is beholden) run them. Can't really lay this one at his feet. Even the summer/winter formulation nonsense has been around for many, many years.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    There is actually a reason why when one station raises their prices others follow. It is due to a legal matter. There is an act in place that prevents one gas station from lowering its prices in the event that they could monopolize.

smiley-vault-signs-024.gif

Let's see the IC or Federal law.

The minions follow suit so the can grab onto the price increase and line their pockets, there is no law stating that they have to follow suit.

Someone has been blowing fairy dust towards you and you walked right through it.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    There is actually a reason why when one station raises their prices others follow. It is due to a legal matter. There is an act in place that prevents one gas station from lowering its prices in the event that they could monopolize.

I don't know if the proper response to that statement would be "boloney" or "horse hockey". We aren't all that many years removed from the days of "price wars". :rolleyes:

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    I had to go to New Albany this morning, too my surprise, gas was $3.58 while in French Lick it was $3.89. Of course I topped off my tank in French Lick prior to making the trip thinking gas would be higher in the big city.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I don't care for Obama, but he doesn't run the refineries. The oil companies, (to whom he is beholden) run them. Can't really lay this one at his feet. Even the summer/winter formulation nonsense has been around for many, many years.

He does, however, have some control at the EPA. EPA regulations have made it so no new refinery has been built in a long time.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I wasn't blaming just him, regulations can be relaxed, it takes years to build a new refinery. Of course, gas prices weren't this bad under Bush though. Maybe there should be a middle ground of gas grade, somewhere between summer and winter. That way, only times refineries have to be taken offline is for maintenance or emergencies. No retooling for different grades of gas.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    He does, however, have some control at the EPA. EPA regulations have made it so no new refinery has been built in a long time.

None built while Bush was in office either, just saying

Problem is, unless my information is now outdated but we are an exporter of gasoline. We were told for the longest time that refinery capacity was one of the big factors in gas prices, but we now produce more gasoline than we consume in the US.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Oh goody, I get to hear the ranting from folks tonight at work.

As a side not, please don't rant/rave/yell at the folks behind the counter at your local gas stations about the price jump. We don't control the prices. Furthermore, we rarely make a profit on the fuel we sell. This is an honest to God, hand on the Bible statement from me, a guy who manages a station. We've actually had stretches of 2-3 weeks where we lost money on the fuel we sell. When we do make money, it's on the order of 1-2 cents per gallon. If I could post the finiancials to prove it I would, but please believe me, it's true.

I used to work at a gas station, and you are correct. Most of the time we averaged .02 or less.

Top Bottom