• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I can get good vines and leafs but then usually the e d up shriviling up and dying. Or if I do get fruit going on them they'll ripped way to early and rot before it gets to sept or oct
    Pretty sure my wife says you have to make sure to pollinate them yourself... as they are not self pollinating. you gotta finger the flowers. if not, i think the vines will die off.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Pretty sure my wife says you have to make sure to pollinate them yourself... as they are not self pollinating. you gotta finger the flowers. if not, i think the vines will die off.
    Lol definitely could make some jokes out of that. But thank you, definitely gonna look up some YouTube videos on growing pumpkins and the pollinating

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    Regarding Pumpkins: we've planted them alongside wildflowers and Concord grapes and have had pretty good success. I don't consider myself an expert, by any means.

We have four 2'x8' boxes dedicated to pumpkins - sugar, jack-o-lantern, large and Cinderella. Our best harvest was 2022 when we had 40 total. Last year, they got too wet....my guess is we planted too early.

We roast the seeds, but don't touch the biggest or best two or three of each variety. When they get mushy and are no longer suitable to be used for decoration, I take the whole pumpkin and put it back to the raised bed. When I start getting the begs ready for spring, I'll cover the pumpkin with manure/compost.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My corn has started to pop out of the ground. The Lima beans (butter beans for those of you south of Kentucky) And all the wife’s sunflowers. white beans have also popped. My second planting of green beans no pops yet. First planting of them no pops also. Weird from same bag of seeds that all came up last year and beans seeds are not known to go bad. I blamed the ground hog for the first batch not coming up but he is now fertilizing the back area.

I will put in a second planting of corn in three to four weeks and a first planting of green beans or hopefully second planting about that time also. (What should have been a third planting.

I just got four mounds of dirt ready for watermelons and cantaloupe ready and the space around them ready but the rain came in before the seeds got planted so that is still coming.

next on the list is getting the three bee hives set in place and getting those nukes started.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My strawberries are just about done (honeoye). I had my 6 strawberry shortcakes.
    i had a ground hog destroy all my broccoli plants, some of my cabbage. I have killed 3 of them so far this year.
    my first corn planting is about knee high. I fertilized it and my onions. I discovered I have some new potaoes on already, when I hilled and fertilized them. I am trying nets for my pole beans this year. They are all up good so I need to get the nets up.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We've pulled about 4&1/2 Gallons of strawberries so far. Last year we got 7 gallons and are hoping to gather more. Mmmmmm, strawberry preserves!
    Our sweet corn, acorn and spaghetti squash did not germinate so we have had to replant. We suspect it's due to the cooler nights.
    I have had some odd germination here also. I have panted zukes and crook necks a couple times.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Replanted carrots about a week ago and seen some sprouts...also put in some green beans out back and nothing yet.
    Speaking of green beans, I planted 4 short rows. The 2 outer rows both sprouted pretty quickly. The 2 inner rows came up almost 2 weeks after the others. Weird.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Speaking of green beans, I planted 4 short rows. The 2 outer rows both sprouted pretty quickly. The 2 inner rows came up almost 2 weeks after the others. Weird.
    It does seem weird. Think i put 12 seeds in the ground and marked with flags so i knew exactly where they are. Cats like to dig in the worst places to potty.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Anyone do pumpkins in grow bags? If so, how big of a bag do you use?

Specifically, Jack O'Lantern and CT Field pumpkins.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Root veggies coming up well. Turnip varieties from Sweden (rutabaga), Germany (kohlrabi), and Japan (hakueri) tasting like earth tonight. I add a little salt and like thin sliced raw crisps

ShimmeringTrees

Amish Jack Wagon
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2023
    Indiana
    My corn has started to pop out of the ground. The Lima beans (butter beans for those of you south of Kentucky) And all the wife’s sunflowers. white beans have also popped. My second planting of green beans no pops yet. First planting of them no pops also. Weird from same bag of seeds that all came up last year and beans seeds are not known to go bad. I blamed the ground hog for the first batch not coming up but he is now fertilizing the back area.

I will put in a second planting of corn in three to four weeks and a first planting of green beans or hopefully second planting about that time also. (What should have been a third planting.

I just got four mounds of dirt ready for watermelons and cantaloupe ready and the space around them ready but the rain came in before the seeds got planted so that is still coming.

next on the list is getting the three bee hives set in place and getting those nukes started.
    Same issue here with beans.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Same issue here with beans.
    Not 1 bean sprout for me outa 13 seeds in the ground...For the last 2 weeks i have been having decent broccoli for dinner. Think i have 3 or so left to be cut off and it's done.. now i planted 15 cauliflower plants same time as broccoli. Cali plants look super nice, but no head at all growing on any plant. We have pretty much the perfect weather the last 2 months for cold weather crops. No idea why no cali head growing. Anyone else have the sane thing happening??

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Well, it looks like pumpkins are for sure watermelons maybe tomatoes for sure. Peppers are scrawny but they’re not pictured strawberries have gone to the slugs cause they’re all full of holes so that sucks and I’ve got two kind of lame looking eggplant plants. On the upside I picked several quarts of raspberries.

Attachments

• IMG_1820.jpeg
      IMG_1820.jpeg
      2.4 MB · Views: 7

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I put 20 pumpkin seedlings in 20 gallon grow bags today. 2 cu ft. of miracle grow and 1 cut ft. of good old fashioned composted manure, per bag. Best part is I have seven seedlings not ready for the trip. Costing me a damn fortune, but I wanna throw down with some winter squash! :):

Also have tomatoes, strawberries and peppers. The cayenne's seem a little scrawny and sad, but the snackable orange already has a fruit!

Having more fun with it than I did in the past. This is what it should be like, not the pressure of it I felt when younger.

Top Bottom