• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2024
    Swampy
    This is my first year in this plot I dug by hand and tilled. I grew up gardening but, I am working on my own know how. I am lucky to have some great books to help guide me.
    I have babied this soil. I have added manure, compost, lots of tilling and cultivating.
    Here is my list for this year
    Corn
    Tomatoes
    Garden Beans
    Kidney Beans
    Potatoes
    Squash
    Broccoli
    Cabbage
    Carrots
    Greens
    Asparagus
    Peppers
    Onions
    Parsley
    Basil
    Thyme
    I am hunting like a red tail hawk over a field for canning equipment and a vacuum sealer for freezing.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Carrots sometimes will take 2-3 weeks to sprout, that’s why you can add some radish seeds with them, they help loosen the soil for the carrots.
    some seeds don’t last long from what I’ve read, even just one year.
    Seeds were new this year. I decided to try the seeds on a tape being prepared in spacing already. Planted 3rd week of April and i did try the cardboard covering as you suggested. Didn't do anything today, so will try the last 7ft of seed strips i have left.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Our newly added arch for our beans ......
    View attachment 354376
    New strawberry bed in front , Peppers , tomatoes ,peas on the fence , sunflowers and spices
    View attachment 354377
    One of the onion beds , Broccoli , Kale , lettuce , more peas ......

View attachment 354378

Cherry Tomatoes and Garlic
    View attachment 354380

A few carrots , Beets and Radishes ............the Mint bed behind
    View attachment 354381

A couple more onion beds ..........

View attachment 354382

More tomatoes and cucumbers still to plant
    View attachment 354383

Cabbage , Pumpkins , Zucchini and Squash still to plant .......
    View attachment 354384
    Outstanding garden! You've put in a LOT of work and it shows...,well done!

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Cardboard?
    I'd have to go back and read again, but i thought the suggestion was yours...sounds like I'm wrong. It was said that cardboard over planted seed for bout 10 days or so and check for sprouts. It helped keep the moisture in.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Outstanding garden! You've put in a LOT of work and it shows...,well done!
    Thanks for the compliment ......It is a labor of Love . Both me and my wife being retired sure helps !
    It is an ongoing experiment also , always trying new techniques and varieties of things .
    Every time I am out hoeing in one of the beds , I Always hear the song from Alison Krauss & Union Station ,,,,
    "The Man Who Wouldn`t Hoe Corn " .....Love the lyrics and the story ......

Tell you a little story and it won't take long
    'Bout a lazy farmer who wouldn't hoe his corn
    The reason why I never could tell
    For that young man was always well
    He planted his corn in the month of June
    And by July it was up to his eyes
    Come September, came a big frost
    And all the young man's corn was lost
    His story, kith, had just begun
    Said, "young man, have you hoed some corn?"
    "Well, I tried and I tried, and I tried in vain
    But I don't believe I raised no grain"
    He went down town to his neighbor's door
    Where he had often been before
    Sayin', "pretty little miss, will you marry me?"
    Little miss what do you say?"
    "Why do you come for me to wed?
    You, can't even make your own corn grain
    Single I am and will remain
    A lazy man, I won't maintain"
    He turned his back and walked away
    Sayin', "little miss, you'll rue the day
    You'll rue the day that you were born
    For givin' me the devil, 'cause I wouldn't hoe corn"

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Got the last 9ft strip of carrots in. Did notice i had 3 or 4 2inch tall carrot sprouts in the other bed. They blended in with new asparagus sproutlings.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Our newly added arch for our beans ......
    View attachment 354376
    New strawberry bed in front , Peppers , tomatoes ,peas on the fence , sunflowers and spices
    View attachment 354377
    One of the onion beds , Broccoli , Kale , lettuce , more peas ......

View attachment 354378

Cherry Tomatoes and Garlic
    View attachment 354380

A few carrots , Beets and Radishes ............the Mint bed behind
    View attachment 354381

A couple more onion beds ..........

View attachment 354382

More tomatoes and cucumbers still to plant
    View attachment 354383

Cabbage , Pumpkins , Zucchini and Squash still to plant .......
    View attachment 354384
    That's a nice setup. I've tried raised beds before, but they are hard to keep watered as they tend to dry out fast since above grade. How do you keep everything going?

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    That's a nice setup. I've tried raised beds before, but they are hard to keep watered as they tend to dry out fast since above grade. How do you keep everything going?
    We have a pretty good ratio of peat moss in most of the beds and do have them mulched accordingly .
    I always use straw for my garlic and the rest have a mixture of shredded leaves which works for keeping relatively damp .
    They also have a few hours of mid day shade and usually add shade cloth ( on the metal bars ) if we get some extreme sun and heat .
    That being said , I`m sure we do water a bit more often, vs ground planting . But being able to "tune" each bed individually out weighs tilling and the added water used ......
    We still have some ground beds in various areas also ( more onions , potatoes , all our melon and vining plants . )
    Also use black landscape fabric and burn planting holes where needed really helps with moisture loss too .
    Actually going to plant our remaining tomatoes in a raised bed with that fabric process .

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have first planting of corn and beans in. Sunflowers and zinnia’s. Corn is ambrosia, beans are green blue lake and cannellini beans (first experiment with seed saving on the cannellini) second slightly smaller planting in 4 weeks will be green beans and more corn.

items I am still working on second cucumber planting. ( One hill mysterious disappearing plants) Butter beans A personal favorite. Pumpkins watermelon cantaloupe area still needs some work so before end of weekend. Did a line of radish again.

My first planting of green beans never came up. Maybe the soil temp was too low. Had a volunteer hopefully sun gold cherry pop up and will keep it. Two pop up squash style plants came up near the compost pile and the seem to be surviving the transplant but you can tell they do not like root transplanting well as they looked dead right after the move.

below items came to me with the free tag and believe it or not free delivery also.

Attachments

• IMG_9938.jpeg
      IMG_9938.jpeg
      761.6 KB · Views: 13

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I have first planting of corn and beans in. Sunflowers and zinnia’s. Corn is ambrosia, beans are green blue lake and cannellini beans (first experiment with seed saving on the cannellini) second slightly smaller planting in 4 weeks will be green beans and more corn.

items I am still working on second cucumber planting. ( One hill mysterious disappearing plants) Butter beans A personal favorite. Pumpkins watermelon cantaloupe area still needs some work so before end of weekend. Did a line of radish again.

My first planting of green beans never came up. Maybe the soil temp was too low. Had a volunteer hopefully sun gold cherry pop up and will keep it. Two pop up squash style plants came up near the compost pile and the seem to be surviving the transplant but you can tell they do not like root transplanting well as they looked dead right after the move.

below items came to me with the free tag and believe it or not free delivery also.
    Nice score on the hives ! ......................They are on our list to start up again . ( had them at our old place ) and our gardens and flowers were very productive .......

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    got a Mini garden going… 4 pumpkin (2 orange 2 white) 2 kinds of watermelon and a couple eggplant. Tomatoes in the center. Oh and some honeydew. Too much for the planter so will need to thin soon. Wife has strawberry patch raging this year again. Have 2 rhubarb plants that are older than me... have picked a couple times. Pie was great.

Attachments

• IMG_1710.jpeg
      IMG_1710.jpeg
      738.7 KB · Views: 10

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    got a Mini garden going… 4 pumpkin (2 orange 2 white) 2 kinds of watermelon and a couple eggplant. Tomatoes in the center. Oh and some honeydew. Too much for the planter so will need to thin soon. Wife has strawberry patch raging this year again. Have 2 rhubarb plants that are older than me... have picked a couple times. Pie was great.
    Nice..weeds and flowers were trying to take over my strawberry beds, slowly getting the out and back to normal.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    We've only done them a couple times, as they are unruly. 12 foot vines wind up all over the yard. But, we have gotten them to produce; just nothing "big". That said there are all different kinds. I think this time we are doing decretive ones. They are already dwarfing the rest of the plants.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Had the tree trimmer climber come and top 5 trees. I took a 10” branch off another oak (bigger than all the trees I had topped). Garden gets decent sun most of the day now. Yields been dropping the last several seasons. Hopefully this and the added horse manure will improve this year’s yields.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    We've only done them a couple times, as they are unruly. 12 foot vines wind up all over the yard. But, we have gotten them to produce; just nothing "big". That said there are all different kinds. I think this time we are doing decretive ones. They are already dwarfing the rest of the plants.
    I can get good vines and leafs but then usually the e d up shriviling up and dying. Or if I do get fruit going on them they'll ripped way to early and rot before it gets to sept or oct

Top Bottom