• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yes I'm sure if they were white hoodlums squid wouldn't have done the same thing. He might've even helped the hoods conduct their beatdown.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yes I'm sure if they were white hoodlums squid wouldn't have done the same thing. He might've even helped the hoods conduct their beatdown.

Yep, probably just give them room to destroy because they are upset... or something.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's normal and I don't expect any different. I have had people do that same thing to me IRL as well. I have thicker skin then that. :)
    It also gives me some thoughts on what some people will focus on.
    I've notice that those that focus on something small tend to have a pressure point and can be overly sensitive to that aspect of communication.

I've had that happen to before. There is a reason I prefer to lurk.

View attachment 49851

How could one escape the picture being painted? This thread has several hallmarks: gang (unconfirmed), section 8 housing (unconfirmed), and black hoodlums. There's clearly a stereotypical image being crafted, despite none of the preceding being relevant to the story.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Parse all you want. My point is I believe squid wouldv'e done the same thing he did regardless of the color of their skin like he stated.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I mentioned wolves too...... wolves are pack animals........ surely we can find some dog whistles in that...... oh ****, dogs are animals too......

jimmy-swaggart-crying-o.gif

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Parse all you want. My point is I believe squid wouldv'e done the same thing he did regardless of the color of their skin like he stated.

Maybe, but you don't know that. And even so, it still would beg the question "why" is that important, unless the person or persons are unknown to him (not the case) and he was seeking justice? Criminals are criminals, despite their color, not because of it.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    How could one escape the picture being painted? This thread has several hallmarks: gang (unconfirmed), section 8 housing (unconfirmed), and black hoodlums. There's clearly a stereotypical image being crafted, despite none of the preceding being relevant to the story.

Ok that's the third time you have called me a racist with out saying the word. So I will say it for you, and I will tell you that your hypersensitivity is really a nice from of pushing your own racism off on someone else.

Looking back a the thread no one, from what I read, said that they the gang ( Gang | Define Gang at Dictionary.com ) was known in the area.
    I don't see anyone saying that I or the gang did live in section 8 housing. It was not implied by me or anyone else.

Time to update the ignore list.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Maybe, but you don't know that. And even so, it still would beg the question "why" is that important, unless the person or persons are unknown to him (not the case) and he was seeking justice? Criminals are criminals, despite their color, not because of it.
    You are the one making the "why"importatant. You feel that squid was being disingenuous when he made this statement. "I'm thinking we need to start fighting back and standing up for our communities. Regardless of the "color" of the person I think pushing back and expecting good behavior from our neighbors is a good idea."

What makes you think it was so
    disingenuous?

Do you not believe he wants the same type of safe living environment free from the criminal element regardless of the "color" of the person?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok that's the third time you have called me a racist with out saying the word. So I will say it for you, and I will tell you that your hypersensitivity is really a nice from of pushing your own racism off on someone else.

Looking back a the thread no one, from what I read, said that they the gang ( Gang | Define Gang at Dictionary.com ) was known in the area.
    I don't see anyone saying that I or the gang did live in section 8 housing. It was not implied by me or anyone else.

Time to update the ignore list.

Someday someone will look up the definition of the word racist. Sorry you took it that way, but I did not infer you were a racist, simply that you brought up a point of color when it had no relevance. I obviously saw the quip initially, and let it go, until your post #48, expressed the same sentiment (color having no relevance). At that time, I figured I should ask why you made the clarification in your opening post.
    No sweat about the ignore, but your skin isn't nearly as thick as you thought, I wasn't even attacking you. I was pointing out inconsistencies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You are the one making the "why"importatant. You feel that squid was being disingenuous when he made this statement. "I'm thinking we need to start fighting back and standing up for our communities. Regardless of the "color" of the person I think pushing back and expecting good behavior from our neighbors is a good idea."

What makes you think it was so
    disingenuous?

Do you not believe he wants the same type of safe living environment free from the criminal element regardless of the "color" of the person?

KG, I bolded the part that I thought was disingenuous... and it's not the part your referenced. I read people's posts like they are news broadcasts. I'm not sorry for thinking "yeah, you could've kept that to yourself," and then asking questions about motivations.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seriously folks......If most any of us walk out and find a beat down in progress I am sure the response will be pretty much the same regardless of race/Gender.

Here is a good point I would like to insert here.

We have had more issues in the area I live than I care to relate.
    Every freaking one of them was instigated by young men of color. Every one. Oh wait.....there was a couple of young white guys beating the crap out of each other on race night (500) maybe 20 years ago.
    Now, is this a "Racist" remark or a statement of fact.
    Hint, not a racist remark.

I am the person that made the section 8 remark to begin with as the 3 complexes close to us were full of this and it bled out into the surrounding area.
    It was so bad for a while that people were waking up all hours of the night to go look around and make sure their stuff was still in the yard. It was bad.

That this incident stated by the OP is in a non section 8 complex has been discussed and dismissed.

Lets settle this down a notch please. I will not ask again.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Ok quick update on the situation. This was the straw that broke the back of a camel somewhere. They were served a 48 hour eviction notice. My neighbors and I were talking and the police came up to us. Turned out they needed to speak with my GF on something else and get her statement. We all talked with them and the police said they have had NUMEROUS calls to that same residence in the past 4-5 months.
    After they were served the eviction notice they were giving me and the neighbors the stare down. They then sent their GF over to us to ask why we were staring them down. It's a bit odd but that's how it goes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ok quick update on the situation. This was the straw that broke the back of a camel somewhere. They were served a 48 hour eviction notice. My neighbors and I were talking and the police came up to us. Turned out they needed to speak with my GF on something else and get her statement. We all talked with them and the police said they have had NUMEROUS calls to that same residence in the past 4-5 months.
    After they were served the eviction notice they were giving me and the neighbors the stare down. They then sent their GF over to us to ask why we were staring them down. It's a bit odd but that's how it goes.

Lawyers?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Exactly. I'm not upset with you, but a black person things like that jump out at me, and make me say "why?" You aren't the first, nor the last to do it, I'm sure. I just ask that you be aware of how things come off.

Serious question, When you observe a crime and the perpetrators are fleeing, when you radio for backup do you give as complete a description as possible or do you have other units stopping every white, black and oriental they see?

If they had been girls he could have used bevy, Or crows a murder, or bananas a bunch. Gang is simply a word to describe a group.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    Someday someone will look up the definition of the word racist. Sorry you took it that way, but I did not infer you were a racist, simply that you brought up a point of color when it had no relevance. I obviously saw the quip initially, and let it go, until your post #48, expressed the same sentiment (color having no relevance). At that time, I figured I should ask why you made the clarification in your opening post.
    No sweat about the ignore, but your skin isn't nearly as thick as you thought, I wasn't even attacking you. I was pointing out inconsistencies.

Respectfully Kut,
    I usually like what you have to say and think you are one of the fairer and more level headed people on here, but I simply don't agree with the point you are pushing in this thread. He didn't say "this gang of black people reverted to their feral nature and attacked someone", he was relating a story and included a detail. He also said his GF was returning from a BBQ. No relevance, but it was part of the details of the story.

I am interested in what specifically is wrong with calling out the race of a participant in a story such as this?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.

Real question Kut. Why would you care as long as the eviction notice was legal?

A very wise man once said in one of his songs "I'm not gonna spend my life being a color". That sentence is at the core of everything that the vast majority of human beings believe in. Are we completely color blind as a nation yet? No, but we get there one step, one person at a time. I've stepped up to that, can you?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

They will relocate and spread the same idiocy where ever they land.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Respectfully Kut,
    I usually like what you have to say and think you are one of the fairer and more level headed people on here, but I simply don't agree with the point you are pushing in this thread. He didn't say "this gang of black people reverted to their feral nature and attacked someone", he was relating a story and included a detail. He also said his GF was returning from a BBQ. No relevance, but it was part of the details of the story.

I am interested in what specifically is wrong with calling out the race of a participant in a story such as this?

Respect reciprocated,

To answer your question, I am trying to figure out why race was important enough to denote in the first place? Here on INGO, people lament when people separate themselves from the group, right? And yet, it appears to be completely acceptable to separate others, for no discernible reason. If you point out race, then by default, you speak in racial terms. If you speak in racial terms, then you are presenting it as something relevant. If I had spoken about a cheating banker and said in parenthesis (Jewish thief), then the fact that he was a Jew would apparently have some bearing, despite it not.

Top Bottom