• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I would like to share a very poor experience with the gander mountain in castleton. Its been a couple of months ago I went in and placed an order for tritium sights for my beretta 96....well the guy told me the gun smith would call me to confirm he could get them and if he could they would have them in less then a week. So I left all my info and went on my way. Several days pass and no call back. I called them and guy say they lost my work order paper. So no big deal...i give all the info again and end the call. Again several days go by. I call again and they say the man i need to talk to is out but they will take a message and he will call me right back. No call. So a week later i am in there and i told a manager about it and told him to forget it...i will just get them elsewhere. So 10 mins ago I get a call saying my sights are in (two months later) so i said ok how much to get them put on? (thinking the manager may have said order them anyway and we will give him a deal or put on with no charge...something.) but no, he says its will be $60 to install....Lmfao that's insane! I told him to send them back i don't want them.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It actually makes me sad to hear stories about Gander because they are all we have around here along the lines of the 'Big Outdoor Store'...wish we would have gotten a Cabela's but that is another story. They should rule the roost around here in Evansville simply due to their perceived buying power but instead just roll people on their firearms and ammo. The rest of their stuff isn't bad but they will only come off a few $$$ or price match if you can provide proof of an in-stock gun within an hour's drive of their store.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I would like to share a very poor experience with the gander mountain in castleton. Its been a couple of months ago I went in and placed an order for tritium sights for my beretta 96....well the guy told me the gun smith would call me to confirm he could get them and if he could they would have them in less then a week. So I left all my info and went on my way. Several days pass and no call back. I called them and guy say they lost my work order paper. So no big deal...i give all the info again and end the call. Again several days go by. I call again and they say the man i need to talk to is out but they will take a message and he will call me right back. No call. So a week later i am in there and i told a manager about it and told him to forget it...i will just get them elsewhere. So 10 mins ago I get a call saying my sights are in (two months later) so i said ok how much to get them put on? (thinking the manager may have said order them anyway and we will give him a deal or put on with no charge...something.) but no, he says its will be $60 to install....Lmfao that's insane! I told him to send them back i don't want them.

The Gander Mountain in Terre Haute had the policy if you buy the sights in their store they get installed for free but the sights were about 40$ more than other places thats why I hardly ever buy anything at gander. 60$ to install sights is crazy! :n00b:

Last edited:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's funny, you'd think Gander would have good buying power when it came to firearms because they're such a large retailer, but they don't. As a former employee, I can tell you the markup you see on new guns isn't even that high, maybe 10-20%. The issue is the buyers they have at corporate are just absolutely incompetent and all the gun companies are taking them for a ride.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    If I'm in question of something, I'll go in and look at something, before I order it somewhere for 40% less.

You'll like this.:D

About a year ago, I put Butler Creek Scope Covers on all my scopes, and it was a bunch!! Well, before I bought them online for $4.99/ea., I took every single gun in there, one at a time after work, and fitted every scope, so I wouldn't overbuy too many unnecessary caps. It beat paying their price of $9.99, and the loons behind the counter finally figured out was I was doing, after about two weeks of bringing all my guns in that needed caps. They didn't say anything, just sighed and rolled their eyes.:):

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I drive a lot and stop at every gun store I can. Gander is always high. Course I ain't telling anyone anything new. Just piling on.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    gander mountain prices are ridiculous on just about everything. every once in a while they have a decent sale, but for the most part GM is for manhandling stuff and buying it elsewhere.

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went to the Gander in Terre Haute this morning, in the market for a new carry gun.The 3 morons behind the gun counter ignored me while they were playing with a 1911,not understanding the grip safety and continually racking and dropping the slide. Finally asked about a Kel-tec PF-9.They stood there and looked at each other,apparently not knowing if it was a gun or some type of vibrator.Disgusted, I drove to Bradis and bought one. 2hours travel time, plus the aggravation of I70 construction.It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they closed up.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    On the plus side, if one keeps a close eye on the USED guns at GM, every once in a while a deal can be found. Ammo is usually beyond stupid, along with just about everything else in the gun department. The only thing that can be said of them, when everyone else was scrounging for reloading components, GM had powder and primers on the shelf.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll be the first to say that I like Gander. It's not to say that I don't agree with what is posted here so far, but:

1) It is a fairly mainstream store and can appeal to people who wouldn't step foot in a "scary" gun store. I like the idea of people being comfortable around guns and feeling comfortable asking questions and browsing in a retail store environment where they aren't intimidated. Not that gun stores are scary, but they can be intimidating to the novice. When I bought my first handgun, I bought my Glock at what was Galyan's. I knew enough to avoid Don's, but didn't know enough of other places to go and shop. It got my hobby started on the right track I feel.

2) I also like it because it is a good place to browse and before they changed the counters, etc. in the gun area you could handle a lot of shotty's and long guns.

3) It's like any specialized hobby, if you want to talk to an expert you go to a specialty or dedicated store like your local shop.

4) Gander is also open a lot of times when other local shops aren't including Sundays.

5) I have seen some ok used prices there and some big sale prices at times (like holidays).

Just my thoughts for the other side of the coin. :twocents:

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    The only thing that can be said of them, when everyone else was scrounging for reloading components, GM had powder and primers on the shelf.

That's because no reasonable reloader, no matter HOW dire the situation, would pay their prices. $50 for 1k primer? GTFO.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    So, I had these gift cards from Gander left over from Christmas and Father's Day and I wanted a new carry piece. Even though the prices are not great I had the gift cards so I ordered a PF-9. No call for 3 weeks so I wander in and inquire at the counter and there seems to be no record of it at all. Counter guy say we can reorder and have it in a week or 2. I decide to go ahead and pay extra and get an LC9 right out of the counter primarily so I don't have to keep coming in and checking. As we are finalizing the sale paperwork he tells me I really ought to get a store warranty for the Ruger as that company doesn't have a warranty at all. Didn't see the point in carrying the conversation any further so I just shook my head and took the merchandise. It will be a long while before I go back. (the LC9 is awesome anyway)

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    I've tried to talk to the gunsmith at Gander but he only works for 3 hours every 5th tuesday of May on a leep year only.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    The Fort Wayne Gander is hit or miss. You can find deals once in awhile...but seldom. There is no more gunsmith, plus I would have not trusted him to work on any firearm of mine. Hell, he blew off his own finger mistaking a live round for a snap cap! :dunno:

I must say I was interested in picking up the new Winchester SXP Defender and they happened to have some in stock, cheaper than some of the prices I found online.

Depending on who is working that day makes the visit either tolerable or just plain bad. I probably have more knowledge then all of them put together when it comes to firearms...but I price shop and usually know what Im looking for and what the average price may be so its just fine with me.

I did happen to pick my dog up a great overstuffed dog bed at a fraction of what the pet stores charge so I was happy about that.

Overall, if Im just killing some time, I may stop in and look around-but like I said I very rarely buy anything.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I've tried to talk to the gunsmith at Gander but he only works for 3 hours every 5th tuesday of May on a leep year only.

I have actually talked with/delt with the gunsmith at the Castelton store. Really good guy, and he took care of me when I had him install the trijicons on my 1911. I happened to catch him when he was in, and he took care of everything personally. He called to keep me updated of the order status, and was fast when it came to putting them in. As far as dealing with just any guy at the counter, in my experience talking with them, it would be a crap shoot as to actually getting service at all.

Top Bottom