• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Salesman at Greenwood store told me they don't sell Kel Tecs, because they are not a quality gun, but they had a used one in their case!
    I guess the used one was better quality than the new ones?!:n00b:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The last time I looked at any guns at Gander the two zit-covered teeny bopper kids working behind the counter told me not to buy a Hellcat .380 because it would probably blow up in my hand. How's that for customer service??

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, I had these gift cards from Gander left over from Christmas and Father's Day and I wanted a new carry piece. Even though the prices are not great I had the gift cards so I ordered a PF-9. No call for 3 weeks so I wander in and inquire at the counter and there seems to be no record of it at all. Counter guy say we can reorder and have it in a week or 2. I decide to go ahead and pay extra and get an LC9 right out of the counter primarily so I don't have to keep coming in and checking. As we are finalizing the sale paperwork he tells me I really ought to get a store warranty for the Ruger as that company doesn't have a warranty at all. Didn't see the point in carrying the conversation any further so I just shook my head and took the merchandise. It will be a long while before I go back. (the LC9 is awesome anyway)

You realize that's correct, right? Ruger does not have a written warranty. Yes, they will fix about anything you send back to them, but they do not have any sort of written, contractual obligation to do so.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    The last time I was in GM was maybe 3-4 years ago. I had my son who was way interested in archery & I had some questions. Since I know diddly about archery, I had uninformed questions. After the counter guy laughed at me & told me how dumb the questions were, we spent our money at Girts Archery. We got a better deal & better service.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I seriously do not understand how Gander Mountain can stay in business. Terrible prices, terrible service :noway::noway::noway::noway::noway:

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    most of the time at gander mtn in greenwood its hard to get waited on. they have some good people working there just seem to be way under staffed

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    A trip to Gander Mountain in Castleton also went very sour for me. I went in to look at a new scope with a $300 budget (at Gander, probably would get me a 4x15 Tasco, before tax). I called a buddy of mine while inside to ask a couple questions on the scope he was recommending me buy. I ask him because he actually knows what he's talking about unlike the Gander Guys. I spent about 10 minutes on the phone with him going over details on a couple scopes while kneeling and reading information. One employee came up and said I have to get out of the isle and quit talking on the phone in a very rude manner. I was not blocking the isle by any means. I told him to go bleep himself and then he got really upset. I got off the phone with my friend and asked who the heck he was. He was a nobody that hated his life and job so much he has to take it out on others. I left before anything happened and have yet to step foot in Gander again. IMHO, it is the one place I would never make a purchase even if their items were reasonably priced.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Gm

They're just too big. We need to support our small local stores. If we keep supporting wal-mart they will be the only place left to buy stuff. Imagine trying to buy sights for your beretta from them.:twocents:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    The Gander Mountain in Terre Haute had the policy if you buy the sights in their store they get installed for free but the sights were about 40$ more than other places thats why I hardly ever buy anything at gander. 60$ to install sights is crazy! :n00b:

Gander Mountain: Great place to look at guns. Terrible place to buy them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am not here to defend Gander Mountain, but remember that the front sight on a 96 Beretta is fixed to the sight. That means it has to have the hole milled to install the insert. You want that install to be PERFECT. If it is not exact, you will have a pistol that you cannot aim well in low light, and to fix it you have to replace the slide. Call Trijicon and they will direct you to a gunsmith shop that they work with often, who will do a proper installation. I mailed my slide only, and it came back perfect in a couple weeks. That was several years ago, and I am ready to send it to have the inserts replaced, and will try to send it to the same place.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I must be in the minority. I have always had a good experience at GM. Sure they may not be the most knowledgeable people, but at least I get service. Sure their prices are a high, but at least they have ammo when I need it. I have bought a few other things there and they do price match, so there is no point in going somewhere else. I have bought 5 guns from them this year. 2 new and three used. I bought the two new ones on sale and one with a Gift Card.

I agree about supporting locally, but every time I go into the local shops I feel like I am a second rate buyer because I may not always know what I am looking for and my gun vocabulary isn't up to par. Anyway, I will still go to Gander Mountain.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    It actually makes me sad to hear stories about Gander because they are all we have around here along the lines of the 'Big Outdoor Store'...wish we would have gotten a Cabela's but that is another story. They should rule the roost around here in Evansville simply due to their perceived buying power but instead just roll people on their firearms and ammo. The rest of their stuff isn't bad but they will only come off a few $$$ or price match if you can provide proof of an in-stock gun within an hour's drive of their store.

You know what I miss? Galyans! Galyans was awesome. Great inventory, decent prices, people behind the gun counters who knew what they were talking about... oh I miss those days.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Keep an eye out on the used guns...

Generally over-priced, but you can indeed find a gem amongst them. Especially if it's a gun that the individual store has bought / traded for (as opposed to a used gun shipped to them from another store)

I've found SEVERAL fantastic deals on used guns at GM.

and I'll continue to browse, because I'm bound to come across deals in the future thanks to all the folks who say "I'll never go back". So... thanks! More time for me to get a deal.

-J-

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    In 20 hours there are 34 responses/complaints but you KEEP GOING THERE. Isn't the definition of mental illness doing the same thing over, and over again, and expecting different results?:ugh::ugh:

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I say do not shop there anymore. I broke up with Bass Pro even though it is 10 minutes from my house since I was getting tired of being ripped off.

djlaundry2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Im the same way like most. I like to go in there and look and see what I want to buy at another store or maybe the 1500 but I can almost tell you for certin that all of us have shopped there once and we will do so again. Im not sayin I like the prices on most things but its just like the gas prices I hate it but i gotta HAVE it.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    I havent called their corporate office to complain. the under staffing is a matter of payroll vs. sales. they are trying to hit a certain payroll percentage based on sales. but in my opinion if you overstaff, give people awesome customer service, and have knowledgeable people your sales will increase and you will at some point get back to making your payroll percentage. accountants and share holders cant see past the numbers on P+L so they will always have mediocre customer service

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    On the plus side, if one keeps a close eye on the USED guns at GM, every once in a while a deal can be found.
    ^^^

+1 on this. And if they have set on it a while $$ talks if you talk to the right person. I bought a gently used Ruger Vaquero that way. You just have to be a savy buyer unlike most people who go in there and become overwhelmed by the glitter and inventory.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom