• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I got an email response. Are the different locations for sure charging different prices? I noticed blazer brass dropped $2 per 50 in the past month at Castleton.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Its a good question and since they are a chain the pay the same price but charge different prices at different locations? That would be a local managers discretion?

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I might as well add my:twocents:.

First of all, as the general manager of a company that relies on sales to our customers, I would fire the two dolts from GM posting on this site for their rude, profane, insulting, offensive and illiterate postings insulting their (potential) customers. Anyone with such a bad attitude toward their own customers who is allowed to continue in that interface betrays a management that is seriously out of touch with their business. Boys, here's a life lesson for you: You still represent your employer, even while posting in an internet forum afterhours. You have caused your employer irreparable harm by your comments here. You won't last long in your current occupation, so take some advice: Change or move on.

Personally, when I got into handguns just a few months ago, I included GM in the circuit of suppliers I checked out to determine where I was going to buy my guns and supplies. It only took one visit to, yes, the Castleton store, to realize that the prices were out of line and the employees behind that gun counter seemed bothered by the fact that customers were interested in their overpriced merchandise. After the one visit, I knew I would never return regardless of availability issues. No complaints, no letter or emails, just a customer that has spent $4,000 on guns, ammo and accessories this year with zero share going to Gander. I have purchased a good deal of ammunition from the Dick's right across the street, who while not the cheapest, maintains respectable pricing. I would rather pay Dick's a couple bucks more per 50 than make 10 trips to Walmart before finding any inventory. Gander is in no way competitive with Dick's. I know this now, so I will no longer even bother to check Gander for any sporting goods purchases. You're off my list.

Now, who is benefiting from the profiteering in ammunition?

In my business, we purchase various metals direct from the mills. There is NO QUESTION that prices have fallen dramatically since last summer. Metal prices are commodities like oil and have taken the 50% haircut just like your gasoline prices. If I had a million dollars to spare, I would have bought a warehouse full of copper when it was a $1.50/lb recently down from $4.00+ last summer. Because metal stocks are plentiful and cheap and because the ammo manufacturers are turning inventory immediately, they are enjoying the lower metal prices as soon as they move down. The ammo manufacturers do not need to raise their prices. Their margins are already expanding due to lower raw material costs. Witness some of the government contracts out there like the DHS deal of April 29th with Federal for .40S&W at .24 per cartridge. This was a non-negotiated 6,000,000 cartridge purchase with 6-2 million unit options for a total potential purchase of 18,000,000 rounds. Why would Federal commit so much of their production to this relatively low margin business? Because it's a good business decision compared to selling it piecemeal to the sporting goods market. The cost picture is reaffirmed by Walmart's practice of continuing to sell Blazer 9mm at $8.97 and WWB at $19.97/100. The price spikes are not coming from the ammo manufacturers.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Two cents worth....was in GM today and got the last two boxes of Blazer .380 FMJ they had at $24.95 per 50 round box. Considering there's been no .380 at all for months and that I've seen it for sale (and selling!) for over $90/50 rounds for FMJ, I considered it a deal and a very reasonable price. Was conversing with a guy behind the counter and he said - roughly - it's supply and demand. They're not marking it up any more than they normally do, but when people who usually buy a couple of boxes come in and buy a case because they don't think there's going to be any available next month....you get the idea.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Two cents worth....was in GM today and got the last two boxes of Blazer .380 FMJ they had at $24.95 per 50 round box. Considering there's been no .380 at all for months and that I've seen it for sale (and selling!) for over $90/50 rounds for FMJ, I considered it a deal and a very reasonable price. Was conversing with a guy behind the counter and he said - roughly - it's supply and demand. They're not marking it up any more than they normally do, but when people who usually buy a couple of boxes come in and buy a case because they don't think there's going to be any available next month....you get the idea.
    If they aren't marking it up more than they normally do, then they weren't selling any before Obamania.... I'd laugh and turn away had he said that to me...

fatvette

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    I might as well add my:twocents:.

First of all, as the general manager of a company that relies on sales to our customers, I would fire the two dolts from GM posting on this site for their rude, profane, insulting, offensive and illiterate postings insulting their (potential) customers. Anyone with such a bad attitude toward their own customers who is allowed to continue in that interface betrays a management that is seriously out of touch with their business. Boys, here's a life lesson for you: You still represent your employer, even while posting in an internet forum afterhours. You have caused your employer irreparable harm by your comments here. You won't last long in your current occupation, so take some advice: Change or move on.

Personally, when I got into handguns just a few months ago, I included GM in the circuit of suppliers I checked out to determine where I was going to buy my guns and supplies. It only took one visit to, yes, the Castleton store, to realize that the prices were out of line and the employees behind that gun counter seemed bothered by the fact that customers were interested in their overpriced merchandise. After the one visit, I knew I would never return regardless of availability issues. No complaints, no letter or emails, just a customer that has spent $4,000 on guns, ammo and accessories this year with zero share going to Gander. I have purchased a good deal of ammunition from the Dick's right across the street, who while not the cheapest, maintains respectable pricing. I would rather pay Dick's a couple bucks more per 50 than make 10 trips to Walmart before finding any inventory. Gander is in no way competitive with Dick's. I know this now, so I will no longer even bother to check Gander for any sporting goods purchases. You're off my list.

Now, who is benefiting from the profiteering in ammunition?

In my business, we purchase various metals direct from the mills. There is NO QUESTION that prices have fallen dramatically since last summer. Metal prices are commodities like oil and have taken the 50% haircut just like your gasoline prices. If I had a million dollars to spare, I would have bought a warehouse full of copper when it was a $1.50/lb recently down from $4.00+ last summer. Because metal stocks are plentiful and cheap and because the ammo manufacturers are turning inventory immediately, they are enjoying the lower metal prices as soon as they move down. The ammo manufacturers do not need to raise their prices. Their margins are already expanding due to lower raw material costs. Witness some of the government contracts out there like the DHS deal of April 29th with Federal for .40S&W at .24 per cartridge. This was a non-negotiated 6,000,000 cartridge purchase with 6-2 million unit options for a total potential purchase of 18,000,000 rounds. Why would Federal commit so much of their production to this relatively low margin business? Because it's a good business decision compared to selling it piecemeal to the sporting goods market. The cost picture is reaffirmed by Walmart's practice of continuing to sell Blazer 9mm at $8.97 and WWB at $19.97/100. The price spikes are not coming from the ammo manufacturers.

You beat me to it. I read the first 5 or 6 pages and was wondering if GM knew these hourly employees where representing Gander Mountain on a public forum. I bet they don't and if they did these employee's would be ex-employee's!!!!!

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Using the lame excuse that"we can't do anything in our local store to affect company policy" is a chicken-sh*t slacker attitude at best. I work for one of the largest companies in the world and find plenty of ways to voice my opinions and ideas to corporate.Everyone has a supervisor who should benefit from your customer's comments/ideas as well as yours(if you really care about your job).I have seen too many employees who don't really understand the customer is the real Boss.Your paycheck starts at the customer's hand. If they are not happy-they won't return. Guess who loses their job first-yup-the employee,not the customer.There are always competitors who are more than happy to make an honest profit from your former customer.
    Our local gun store here in Seymour(Acme sports) has never charged prices anywhere near what GM in greenwood and castleton is.Higher than walmart but still fair.Loyal customers are a lot more valuable than the extra $$$$ GM thinks they will make.:xmad:

Tirador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Otwell,IN
    Have we forgot what happened with gas prices, and companies trying to raise their prices by $3.00 a gal. overnight! I for one will drive many extra miles just to not buy from crooks who rape the public! As for ammo prices, ammo is not avalible because of some who are scared and hoard it up buying everything as it comes in. Manufacturers need to step up production for a while until demand relaxes. They profit at a fair price as well as the public!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    was at a local "large sporting goods store" and I guess I had just walked in while they where putting some ammo on the shelves as the whole isle was packed. I had just walked in to look for some 22 hornet rounds and one of the bulk packs of 22LR as Im down to my last 50 rounds or so and my daughter wanted to go shoot her 22. any who...I couldnt find want I needed so I picked up a few other things and as I was standing in line I happen to look over there was a guy standing there with one of them carry carts and it was full to the top with 22lr...must of been about a hundred boxes...how in the hell do they allow someone to buy that much ammo?!? I asked "you plan on doin alot of shootin" just makin small talk his reply was "nope I figure in a few months this stuff will be as expensive as gold as noone has any in stock around here" I said "no one has it in stock because people like you are freaking out and buying up everything that goes boom" he told me to mind my own business..which Its really not any of my business..just sorta pissed me off so I spoke up. ended up going to another large sports store and they only 3 bulk packs of 22lr so I bought one...the guy there told me when they opened up that morning the rack was full and someone came in and bought several boxes and said they dont expect to have anymore for a few more weeks..I should of grabbed all 3 I reckon but that would of made me a hypocrite:):.
    sorry gettin late and I tend to ramble a bit when tired:rolleyes::draw:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I was not planning on posting anything on here but after reading 10 pages I thought, "what the heck...:)"

I like Gander Mountain. I'm in Fort Wayne and they have a lot of good stuff for the outdoors that I can get in one easy location.

That said, I almost NEVER buy ammo at any store without doing MASSIVE research. I am the guy that will spend 16 - 20 hours of work putting ammunition prices for over 15 calibers from over 25 online stores into a single spreadsheet that calculates the ammo price to the tenth of a penny! Since I shoot surplus weapons almost exclusively a lot of the big chains seldom have what I want at a good price anyway. I've often commented to myself that Cheaper Than Dirt ISN'T!

I think feedback from the customer is a very good thing. I have gotten one manager at Denny's fired and another assistant manager at K-Mart in very hot water. I have gone home at 2AM and found the 800 customer service number and called up. I always start by letting the customer service rep know that while I understand they have not done anything to deserve this today "they are about to hear an earfull!" Then I let 'er rip!

As to ammunition price gouging I will challenge all who have posted (both against and in defense of GM) to present direct, first hand knowledge of Gander Mountains books! If you or I have NOT seen what costs are involved in the creating the price of the end product we cannot honestly say that their prices are unfair. That does not mean that they are not significantly higher than their competitors, but just because they are higher does not instantly lead to the "price gouging" conclusion either.

As an analogy I will bring up a place I love to eat: Cracker Barrel. I have always enjoyed their food and it has become somewhat of a tradition for me to have breakfast at one anytime I am on my way to a gun show. I have also always considered their prices to be a bit higher than other breakfast food chains, but since I enjoy their food it hasn't stopped me from eating there. Now to my point: in the semester before mine one of the business classes at my local college did a study of Cracker Barrel. They found that CB averages a $.01 to $.02 profit per meal. That is it. After taking out shipping costs, insurance, property taxes, supplies, human resources costs, liability insurance, etc etc etc they pull in less than a nickel per meal. What seems high cost to me is in reality an extremely thin profit margin.

I would suspect that many folks who buy the more modern ammo on these boards may (?) be on to something about Gander Mountains prices, but I would humbly suggest that until you have a firsthand look at their books you cannot be certain of your suspicions...

As to you chaps who work for Gander Mountain I must say that you have done a less than honorable service to your company. Your acidic and derogatory comments left a less than palatable taste with me. I will not stop shopping at Gander Mountain because of this, but I must confess that I do not think I will ever shop there again without wondering whether or not the GM employee I am speaking with holds me in such low regard as you have on these boards. Another approach, when hearing bad things about your company could have been, "Hey guys, I work at Gander Mountain and hear what you are saying. I understand how bad this looks. Let me ask my manager about your concerns and I'll let you know what I find out." Just think about how you represent your company both at work and away from work. I know the public (me included:rolleyes:) can be frustrating, but part of customer service is to NOT SHOW that frustration ever (that is what the shootin' range is for:D).

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    As to ammunition price gouging I will challenge all who have posted (both against and in defense of GM) to present direct, first hand knowledge of Gander Mountains books! If you or I have NOT seen what costs are involved in the creating the price of the end product we cannot honestly say that their prices are unfair. That does not mean that they are not significantly higher than their competitors, but just because they are higher does not instantly lead to the "price gouging" conclusion either.

Libertarian, great post with great points, but I'll address them with my opinion. I think we CAN honestly say their prices are unfair, regardless of their costs based on the smiple fact that they are so much higher than nearly everywhere else. As a former retail manager of a large chain myself, I can tell you this: their costs are right in lines with Dick's; or even better as they have MUCH more purchasing power. If their costs weren't in line with their competitors, they just couldn't survive.

I'm going to use the following example and some here might disagree, but I'll issue a challenge with this as well. Don's Guns in Indy gouges. You won't find anyone dispute that here. Bradis charges a pretty fair price on the exact same guns. But Don's, even charging what they do, sells tons more guns than Bradis on a daily basis. Location? Maybe. Advertising? Maybe. Whatever it is, Don's has the buying power and what Bradis doesn't have in stock, Don's likely will; albeit for twice as much. If you think Bradis sells more guns, stand outside on Saturday for an hour or two and see how many guns walk out of each location.

Some businesses cater to the public making modest profit on the bigger crowds, while places like Gander focus on larger profit to the smaller crowds. Wanna know for sure? Watch TV and read newspapers. Who advertises more?

As an analogy I will bring up a place I love to eat: Cracker Barrel. I have always enjoyed their food and it has become somewhat of a tradition for me to have breakfast at one anytime I am on my way to a gun show. I have also always considered their prices to be a bit higher than other breakfast food chains, but since I enjoy their food it hasn't stopped me from eating there. Now to my point: in the semester before mine one of the business classes at my local college did a study of Cracker Barrel. They found that CB averages a $.01 to $.02 profit per meal. That is it. After taking out shipping costs, insurance, property taxes, supplies, human resources costs, liability insurance, etc etc etc they pull in less than a nickel per meal. What seems high cost to me is in reality an extremely thin profit margin.

While I have no doubt that they're not making $1.50-$2.00 per meal if you break everything down to the hundredth considering every expense of the company, I'd LOVE to see the study on this suggesting that they make .01-.02 per meal. Even Shell makes more than that on a gallon of gas.

But places like Gander don't operate that way. CB has a limited menu of which to draw upon, so they HAVE to base their costs off of the small array of products they sell.

Places like Gander will break down their entire store per square foot in each department. They have thousands of products they sell on a daily basis.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Some of Gander Mt.'s ammo prices are outrageous, some are reasonable.38 secial lead bullet 50rds. for $39.99, in2007, insane! And this was before the"perfect storm". But I bought 2 $40 shirts there last winter for $5 each . Last week Ibought 1lb. of powder for $19.99and 2 boxes of Rem. buckshot for #4.99 each, reasonable. Pick and choose,few get everything at one place

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I must say that as a small gun store I assume that I pay more them Gander Mountian. However the wholesale cost of ammo has gone through the roof. I have a base % mark up for all ammo. Take the cost of the ammo and the cost to ship it and make it up 20%. For those of you that don't understand on a $12 box of 9mm I am making $2. When you see that box of .45 acp for $25 don't get mad at me I use the same formula.
    I am sure that some one out there is going to say I should lower my percentage. Well before you do that you open a store and try to make a profit at a 10% markup on new guns and a 20% mark up on Ammo. I do it but it take sales. When you don't have the prodduct to sell because all of your wholesalers are out of 9mm or you can't get an AR-15 to save your life then your business fails. My store is small enough I can make up the difference. The larger stores have to raise their priced because they have to meet the same nut each month no matter what.
    The solution.
    Support your Local
    Support your Local
    Support your Local
    Support your Local

If you want to see the small store survive and continue to treat you right then stop buying from Gander Mountian, Walmart (even though they have it), Dicks, Cabelas and the other nation wide chains that are trying to put us small business out of business. Gander Mountian has never had good prices on their new guns. Their used guns have great prices. Why because on a whole their staff has no clue how to run a gun store and does not care. The national buyers tell them what to sell the new items for and they make their money. The used trade in guns are priced localy and are either high or low. So I say again if you don't like it.
    Support your Local.
    Support your Local
    Support your Local

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have now received several phone calls from the firearms manager at GM in Fort Wayne. He has gone above and beyond for me since responding to that email. I have call 53 gun stores within a 30 mile radius of Fort Wayne looking for a Stainless Steal Puma .357 lever gun. No one has it. The Firearms manager since receiving my email took it upon himself to scour the country for one, even called Puma directly. Come to find out they stopped making them last year that's why no one has them or can get them. He found one at a GM store out west and had it shipped to the Fort Wayne store for me to take a look at with absolutely no obligation to buy and the price is very good as well.

Although their prices may not be the best I will keep them on my list to check when I'm in the market for something they carry.

And for the guys that work for Gander Mountain; I'm glad you are loyal but you are not in position to defend your companies policies. That's the managers and PR staffs job. Hold your tongue and relay the info to the correct person, instead of lashing out. It might save your job!

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    I love these threads!!!!:)

Hey, I work at a gunshop sometimes, but i never buy ammo there as the prices are too high and the bad thing is, people keep paying the price. Is there a reason for any retailer to drop the price when everyone is out to out do the next guy and say " I just bought 1k of 9m to add to my 3k I already have". It's nuts and we just keep feeding the retailers desire to move the prices up so they can make a better profit.

Hell, the other night I thought I struck gold when I walked into Wallmart and bought 6 boxes of blazer brass 9mm and .40 for 8.97 and 12.47!!! I probably could have sold the stuff for double that to someone in the feeding frenzy! But i actually went shooting with it.... gasp!!!

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Dude if you guys arent bitching about the price of ammo, your bitching about the availability of ammo. "Why dont you guys have any ammo instock?" I get asked that everyday. Well sir if our ammo is so over priced why dont we ever have any? Why when I put out shipments on thursdays is most of it gone thursday evening? Write all the emails and letters you want to corporate im telling you the prices have gone up from the manufacturers, there for we have to up the prices about 2% just to sell it above cost and make profit. So for that 2% we apologize! Its part of life. Deal with it and stop crying.
    50 9mm fmj's 59.99. I'm sorry, but that is more than 2%

Top Bottom