• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Is she? Her family was deposed by Robert Baratheon. It's all a matter of perspective...
    And she has a ridiculous sense of entitlement. She plans on bringing foreign army of eunuchs and dothrakis to the 7 kingdoms. Lets not have any illusions about what's going to happen... "Dothraki's are going to Dothrak." They are essentially a horde of rapists and murderers... and in her quest to get the Iron Throne, she is going to use them to do her bidding.

I don't quite see the "...all a matter of perspective..." here. Her grandfather was acknowledged by all as the rightful King of the Seven Kingdoms. He wasn't bloodlessly removed through any legal means, it took a civil war which ripped apart the country. Tywin Lannister sought to forever vanquish the notion of a Targaryen uprising by killing all of them off. Due to Varys he failed. Since she has the blood of her grandfather she has a lawful, legal claim. That Robert Baratheon was acknowledged as the new, rightful king made it so. The nobles can make what they want when they want legal, even if it is at swordpoint. It would seem duress isn't a defense in these types of situations.

I think Daenerys is a bit naive about how much she will be able to control the Dothraki's. I believe you are right that there will be... issues... here. The Unsullied will remain an absolute bastion of discipline.

Yes, she has a very strong sense of entitlement. She does share that with her brother Viserys. They were both raised with their rightful position being on the Iron Throne pounded into them. That they both have in spades.

But let us not forget that Daenerys has said, "Lannister, Targaryen, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell they're all just spokes on a wheel. This ones on top, then that ones on top and on and on it spins crushing those on the ground." Tyrion responded, "It's a beautiful dream, stopping the wheel. You're not the first person who's ever dreamt it." To which Daenerys retorted, "I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel."

I believe that she may want to do away with all of the entitlements and powers of the nobility, but to do that she must first seize power to break the wheel. And while her goal may be similar to the High Sparrows, it won't come with the religious purges and pogroms that his will. As usual, she may not get everything she wants.

I think that Tommen is being manipulated not by the High Sparrow, but by Margery.

You may be right. The High Sparrow may be manipulating Margery with her fear of the treatment of her brother, and thus she in turn is manipulating Tommen. That still leaves the High Sparrow pulling the strings.

The irony is that this would have never happened under King Joffrey! Joffrey wouldn't have hesitated a second to grab the Hound, whatever men he could, and gutted everyone between him and his mother. He may well have failed but he wouldn't have hesitated to act. Tommen is just too weeny to be an effective king.

What I don't understand was his small council sitting on their hands? This was a massive insult and threat to their positions and they did nothing! They are all dumb.

Regards,

Doug

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

You may be right. The High Sparrow may be manipulating Margery with her fear of the treatment of her brother, and thus she in turn is manipulating Tommen. That still leaves the High Sparrow pulling the strings.

Unless Margery is simply playing the High Sparrow.

I think we saw the real Margery in the cell with Loras. She is doing whatever she needs to do - play the High Sparrow, manipulate her husband-king - to protect herself and her family. But in attempting to manipulate Tommen, she may have begat in him a True Believer.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    The Hound lives! He is a tough one to kill. He was a changed man and seems to have stayed that way. He and Jamie are two that started off as real bastards and circumstances changed them for the better.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Regarding the discussion of "the legitimate king/queen". BS. There is no legitimacy to royalty in the first place. The only good king is a dead king.

Oh, I don't know, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is as good a basis for a system of government as the one we have going on right now...

(lets see who the real geeks are here...)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh, I don't know, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is as good a basis for a system of government as the one we have going on right now...

Lol. I think amongst the people participating in this thread, you're going to have to go way better than a King Arthur reference.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Hound lives! He is a tough one to kill. He was a changed man and seems to have stayed that way. He and Jamie are two that started off as real bastards and circumstances changed them for the better.

Well, it appears he about to go a axe-murdering spree that would make Voorhees blush.
    Kinda a slow episode, but there was lil gem named Lady Mormont.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

I believe the wording is "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"

hows that for being a geek!(I prefer the term "nerd" myself!)

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Regarding the discussion of "the legitimate king/queen". BS. There is no legitimacy to royalty in the first place. The only good king is a dead king.

"That one man should exalt himself so highly above another, based solely on the nature of his birth, is supported not by the laws of man or God." **** royalty.

I I watch it for the ****.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I believe the wording is "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"

"Come see the violence inherent in the system!"

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville

It has been a while since I have watched The Holy Grail, that was as close as I could come without looking up the whole series of lines. My brother has damn near a photographic memory and can rattle off a lot of these quotes word for word. My memory is a little more fuzzy (damaged?). And no the earlier posting, did not get it from reddit, I have been watching movies like that since the late 1970's at the start of my geek years.

Top Bottom