Full size 1911.....Kimber or Colt....why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I've had problems with 2 different Kimber 1911s. Sent one of them back to Kimber (at my expense) and it was worse when I got it back. I just sold a Sig 1911 because of the same type of problems; falure to feed, falure to eject, double feeding, stove-piping and etc. I used Wilson, McCormick and factory magazines. I still have 2 Colt 1911s that will work with any ammo, any magazine, anytime, anywhere.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Or buy a Springfield because it's better than both of them. Why you may ask..... because this is the internet and there's no end to these discussions and it usually ends up with everyone trying to justify whatever gun they bought as the best. Of course they think it's the better gun, because that's what they bought.

Seriously though, both the guns you mentioned are fine guns. Colt's name is older and more well known so it'll have a better resale value if you ever end up selling it off.

Co Th G

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Or buy a Springfield because it's better than both of them. Why you may ask..... because this is the internet and there's no end to these discussions and it usually ends up with everyone trying to justify whatever gun they bought as the best. Of course they think it's the better gun, because that's what they bought.

Seriously though, both the guns you mentioned are fine guns. Colt's name is older and more well known so it'll have a better resale value if you ever end up selling it off.

Because most gun owners are dumb. If they were smart, they would buy the exact same guns that I own, as I only own the best guns in a given category. :popcorn:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Colt because it says Colt on it. Only problem I ever had was trying to shoot ancient reloads in it (I know!). Everyone who tries it is impressed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No knock on either. If you like one over the other buy it.
    Kimbers are very pretty and over priced.
    Colts are the originals and over priced.
    Consider a Springfield. JMHO and nothing more.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I own Kimber, Colt, and Springfield among others.
    I love the old Kimbers and old Colts. Both have declined in my book. Their newer offerings seem to be lacking the quality of their glory days.
    Even though I've had more trouble out of my older Springfields over either Kimber or Colt, I'd still recommend the Springfield for a good gun especially at the price.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own Kimber, Colt, and Springfield among others.
    I love the old Kimbers and old Colts. Both have declined in my book. Their newer offerings seem to be lacking the quality of their glory days.
    Even though I've had more trouble out of my older Springfields over either Kimber or Colt, I'd still recommend the Springfield for a good gun especially at the price.

Stop using the springers as hammers harry, we have spoke of this.....:rofl:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    IMHO, not Kimber unless it's one of their old first generation 1911's. I've shot a few Kimbers, mostly new but a couple were old, and without question the older ones are superior shooters. I didn't care for the new Kimbers at all and they really have seemed to lose touch with where they came from and put the focus on Quantity over Quality. I've never shot a Colt 1911, so I won't comment there, but I would agree with others, save a few more bucks get a Springfield, heck get a Ruger 1911 I think they're pretty.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No knock on either. If you like one over the other buy it.
    Kimbers are very pretty and over priced.
    Colts are the originals and over priced.
    Consider a Springfield. JMHO and nothing more.

Imagine that! Or a Norinco. They are pretty much the same as any Springfield.:)

Top Bottom