• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    INDY, lets say we go on this bear hunt together and I save a Bear from eating your A$$ would that make me a Friend of yours ???

not saying i would do that I may just ***** myself and RUN !!! (just kidding)

Not really, that just makes me appreciate you being there.:D

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    A friend wouldn't make us look at that Avatar!! Just sayin! :D

A friend is someone that you could trust with your life!!
    A true friend would give his to save your's

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    A friend wouldn't make us look at that Avatar!! Just sayin! :D

A friend is someone that you could trust with your life!!
    A true friend would give his to save your's

A friend would have a pic of a trans-gender freak as his avatar to make you laugh.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    My def. of a true true friend you can trust without any doubt has 4 paws, a tail and barks. A friend like that will protect you no matter what the cost. There are people friends to I'm certain would do the same.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    A Friend is your Brother by choice and not nature. I have many acquaintances and a very small handful of friends.

I guess I think of acquaintance/coworkers, friends and Friends. The latter is as much my family as my brother-by-birth.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Someone you would trust with your kids, your wife, and your life.
    Someone with whom you can disagree, agreeably.
    Someone that when all else has failed you dont have to look for,cause they are right next to you,and sometimes when its real bad,they might be in front.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Man, I really don't want to sound like an over-emotion fluff puff but I've re-evaluated who or what I would consider a friend over the past year and a half. I've gone through life with varying degrees of friends.

In elementary school, I felt like I had a lot of friends.

In middle school, when kids try to flex and exercise their proverbial wings, you lose a lot of those friends due to cliques and forming social classes. The best friends I had wouldn't give me the time of day because I didn't have the latest and greatest social expectation of whatever subclass/genre they were beginning to attach themselves to. People started identifying with the brand of shoes they had and who else wore them rather than the content of their character of the person wearing the shoe.

In high school, this was even more exaggerated and then you throw in the female influence. Not only did you have to impress social classes and cliques but you also "had" to impress a whole blossoming female class.

I kind of went through both middle and high school refusing to identify with people based on their social class and more so on the content of their character. I was given a hard time by just about every clique because I didn't dedicate myself to anyone. I think I lost a lot of potential friendships over that, but in reflection, I really don't regret it because their friendships would have been based on false pretenses and disloyalty.

In college, and I don't understand it, people pretend to be all inclusive and understanding and return to some of the social aspects that elementary school shared. People started appreciating each other for their character and not what kind of car they drove, what designed clothes they wore or whether or not they made the football team. It was more like it should be.

When I had surgeries and chemo/radiation treatments, I had another set of re-evaluations to go through. People who I assumed were friends never bothered to call or visit. People who I assumed were acquaintances came through and put their lives on hold, unnecessarily, to check in and stop by.

Friends were the people who stopped by to drop off food for my wife and I because they thought we were too burdened to plan meals. Sometimes it was to mow our lawns because I couldn't get out of bed and their conscience wouldn't allow them to have my wife do it on top of taking care of me. Sometimes it was just to come over and visit me on their lunch break or take the entire day off of work to spend time with me. A few of them showed up at the crack of dawn before I had surgeries to pray with me and give me just ONE more hug. The end result is that I learned who valued me as a person and was willing to sacrifice something of their life to put towards mine. This is all without me expecting anyone to do anything. I will gladly call those people friends. Loyalty is the character trait that I have always valued my whole life. It's why when I was in junior high and high school and I had friends who weren't "cool" but I stuck by their side. I liked them and appreciated them and no amount of outside criticism would change that. Having gone through something that really is perspective shatter, I continue to appreciate loyalty and think I have a better understanding of what that trait is.

I have very few close friends. I have a lot of acquaintances. I'm always looking for more, though. It is a tired platitude but an honest one... friends are the family that you get to pick.

Jack Ryan is right on the money about his description of who a friend is. I continue to try and be a friend to those who I call acquaintances because one day those may shift.

You're born alone and you'll die alone. You need friends to remind you that you'll be missed when you finally do leave this place.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I (along with most) have friends and acquaintances. More acquaintances than friends. But the friends I have....I'd be lost without.
    I don't make "friends" easily. I don't trust easily, a fault of my own.

"When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand."
    Henri Nouwen

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    bloodyguy.png

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Someone who doesn't get your blood pressure up when they are in your presence. I know very few people that don't.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Someone who doesn't get your blood pressure up when they are in your presence. I know very few people that don't.

Damn, I wouldn't want to live life in your shoes.

To the OP:

That's a tough question, because of the wording...

My "friends" are people that I can trust in my home(when I'm not home), around my kids(when I'm not around) and would be there for me if I needed help...They also trust me in their home, trust me to watch their kids(if they have them) and know that I will be there if they need help.

My friends are like family to me. My acquaintances are people that I am friendly with, will trust in my home and around my kids, but only if I am around...I wouldn't expect them to help me out if I were in need.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom