Friend was telling me about his 5,000 KW genset for the next power outage.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    5,000 kw is a tad much for a home!
    Depends on the home. Depends on the needs.

I think my generator is 7.5 kw on propane and 9kw on gas and it is not huge or over the top or a true sine wave. I think my neighbors is a generac and is 14 kw.

As the solar generator becomes more common and the batteries get better solar generation with a secondary propane generator and maybe even backup power banks for items in the house will become more of the standard. Run off the solar and batteries till the sun does not shine top off the batteries with the generator when needed and run freezers ect off the power banks.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Maybe it's just me but I really don't understand how people justify the cost of those whole home generators. Does your power really go out that long and often?

I just have a 2000 watt inverter type generator mainly to take to my sons dirt bike races and camping. If my power goes out long enough, I will use it to power my fridge and freezer. In my 34 almost 35 year on this earth I have only ever been without power for more than 6 hours 1 time, and that was only 2 days when I was around 8 years old. We survived with some candles, a buddy heater, cards, and board games.

I just cant see justifying 20+ thousand dollars just to have creature comforts in the event of a very rare power outage.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Maybe it's just me but I really don't understand how people justify the cost of those whole home generators. Does your power really go out that long and often?

I just have a 2000 watt inverter type generator mainly to take to my sons dirt bike races and camping. If my power goes out long enough, I will use it to power my fridge and freezer. In my 34 almost 35 year on this earth I have only ever been without power for more than 6 hours 1 time, and that was only 2 days when I was around 8 years old. We survived with some candles, a buddy heater, cards, and board games.

I just cant see justifying 20+ thousand dollars just to have creature comforts in the event of a very rare power outage.
    It's the convenience factor, if you're not home it'll kick on by itself, plus I'm sure they finance it.

I was about $14,000 (plus a propane tank) for a Generac vs $899 ($1,500 all in) for a 13kw that'll run it all, I just have to manually plug it out and flips a few breakers.

The $899 unit has served us well and ran for many days straight when needed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

If it does, its worth it. I want the ability to always have power no matter what. But with our underground lines, I think our outage is less than 30 minutes per YEAR, tops.

As such I too just have a 2300 and have color coded outlets near the fridges and freezers and critical spots to keep the essentials up. Seems like a nice happy medium. when power drops I can go plug my generator into the dedicated feed, and power those extra outlets.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington

Well, if you live somewhere the power hasn't gone out for more than six hours in the last few decades, then of course you're not going to understand shelling out the money for a generator.

But for folks who live out in the country where a bad storm can easily knock out their power for a week, and it's pretty normal for them to have months' worth of meat in the freezer because they butcher their own animals and store it, well, then the investment in a generator makes an awful lot of sense.

Edit: Sorry, somehow I misread your post and thought you were talking about generators in general. Don't ask me how, when you literally mention having a small generator yourself in the second paragraph. :ugh: Anyways, never mind, I agree with you. I don't know anyone who has paid that type of money for a whole-home generator; a cheap unit with a few extension cords will handle the essentials just fine. :)

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Well, if you live somewhere the power hasn't gone out for more than six hours in the last few decades, then of course you're not going to understand shelling out the money for a generator.

But for folks who live out in the country where a bad storm can easily knock out their power for a week, and it's pretty normal for them to have months' worth of meat in the freezer because they butcher their own animals and store it, well, then the investment in a generator makes an awful lot of sense.
    I live out in the country with lots of trees and power outages, but I guess my REC is better than most. We're almost always back on in a few hours. I also have freezers full of meat from animals I hunt and butcher myself, which is why I have my small generator to power them.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Depends on the home. Depends on the needs.

I think my generator is 7.5 kw on propane and 9kw on gas and it is not huge or over the top or a true sine wave. I think my neighbors is a generac and is 14 kw.

As the solar generator becomes more common and the batteries get better solar generation with a secondary propane generator and maybe even backup power banks for items in the house will become more of the standard. Run off the solar and batteries till the sun does not shine top off the batteries with the generator when needed and run freezers ect off the power banks.
    Correct my math if it is wrong, but thats what, 5 million watts? Thats alot of generator - for a home.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Our neighborhood seems to be at the end of a long run...often the first to lose power when a storm comes through and it also seems to be low priority--I guess no rich folks-->less important to get reconnected.
    We've been out of power for 4+ days before once, and 2+ days several times since we've live here (about 30 years).

Some years we only lose power for a few hours or maybe a few different chunks of a half day to a day or so...

But the last time we were out of power before we got the whole-house generac, we were out for 2 and a portion days and we ended up with 3-6 inches of water in the basement depending on where you were at... that was the storm that my portable ate itself and I couldn't find a replacement in a timely manner.

Since then, our neighborhood was out for 2 days--we were out for maybe 5 seconds. Done with that whole mess.

Never again.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My Harbor Freight 9000\7500 watt and a transfer switch in my breaker panel powers my whole modest 1000SF home
    Total investment under $1500. Also has a battery start. No pulling it has the option to pull start
    My power goes out several times a year. Once during a winter storm it was out 3 days

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpeg
      IMG_1358.jpeg
      830.4 KB · Views: 2

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I live out in the country with lots of trees and power outages, but I guess my REC is better than most. We're almost always back on in a few hours. I also have freezers full of meat from animals I hunt and butcher myself, which is why I have my small generator to power them.
    For folks that travel it is huge peace of mind that when I do lose power my house is still running, my meat is safe, and neither my fanmily nor I must do a thing. On a day I was working from home, early this year, had a 6 hour outage, never missed a beat.

It is all as @firecadet613 said folks are paying for convenience. Another factor is several of us seem to at least know the basics as to how to use a generator to power our house but many folks have no idea or are possibly to old to do what you describe…

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County

In the past 15 years, we have been without power for roughly 30 to 45 days total. Several of those times was three or more days at a time. Really depends on where you live, my first office was on the same leg as a Duke Energy Office so it was the first to have power restored LOL

Top Bottom