• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    New York was having increasing problems due to their no-bail policy implemented earlier this year. After releasing a lot of criminals from jail due to the Wuhan coronavirus, they experienced a lot of recidivism to the mayors surprise and some were getting rearrested and re-released the same day. I was wondering how that was going to impact the ongoing arrests of rioters and looters recently. And now...

Police Chief: Arrested Looters in NYC Are Immediately Released Because of Bail-Reform Law

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    But then again, I keep thinking about my .sig...

That's a fine sentiment when combined with the will to see your enemies defeated first as Lincoln had. Seeking to befriend an enemy that hasn't been defeated yet at best does nothing more than enable the enemy. Such efforts are little more than appeasement.

It must also be noted that the ideas of restraint and compassion that Lincoln espoused didn't work out so well for him personally.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's a fine sentiment when combined with the will to see your enemies defeated first as Lincoln had. Seeking to befriend an enemy that hasn't been defeated yet at best does nothing more than enable the enemy. Such efforts are little more than appeasement.
    Oh, I dunno., seems to be working for Daryl Davis.

[video=youtube;V7fh5J_mo5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7fh5J_mo5E[/video]
    That video came out after Ferguson, and it's still quite relevant.
    Spoiler: The BLM folks he talks to are more intransigent than the KKK members.

It must also be noted that the ideas of restraint and compassion that Lincoln espoused didn't work out so well for him personally.
    Oh, I dunno, he got on the $5 note... hard telling what the future would be if he lived.

A man's life is more than just being alive.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    3 additional officers facing charges - max 50 yrs in prison, $20K fine
    (2 counts aiding/abetting 2nd-degree murder – one count is “unintentional while committing a felony” – the other count is “culpable negligence creating unreasonable risks.”)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    3 additional officers facing charges - max 50 yrs in prison, $20K fine
    (2 counts aiding/abetting 2nd-degree murder – one count is “unintentional while committing a felony” – the other count is “culpable negligence creating unreasonable risks.”)

Yeah, I just saw that the 3rd degree murder was upgraded to 2nd degree.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Watching Ellison's press conference now.

What's up with the sign language person? What is she mouthing? It's not words... it's like she has a really bad facial tic. I would think that she'd be mouthing the words in English to go along with her signing.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Looks like Keith Ellison is setting up these prosecutions for failure. If they can't prove intent to kill to 12 jurors on the primary charge, then he will be found not guilty.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I guess 2d degree murder is like a version of felony murder - you kill someone unintentionally while committing a different felony. If at some point the officer's actions crossed into felony-battery (like when the victim passed out), and the victim died, then 2d degree murder could totally fit.

It may not be a set-up for failure. It still could be, but that isn't necessarily the only conclusion.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess 2d degree murder is like felony murder - you kill someone unintentionally while committing a different felony. If at some point the officer's actions crossed into felony-battery (like when the victim passed out), and the victim died, then 2d degree murder could totally fit.

It may not be a set-up for failure. It still could be, but that isn't necessarily the only conclusion.

Don't so-called "crimes of passion" fall under 2nd degree murder also? I thought 1st degree required some degree of planning (pre-meditation), but if say, in a bar fight, you pull out a gun and shoot someone (not in self-defense), then that would be 2nd degree.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Don't so-called "crimes of passion" fall under 2nd degree murder also? I thought 1st degree required some degree of planning (pre-meditation), but if say, in a bar fight, you pull out a gun and shoot someone (not in self-defense), then that would be 2nd degree.

Indiana specifically didn't use the 1st/2d/3d degree paradigm, so I have to go all the way back to law school for that whole framework.

Part of the reason states drifted away from it is because there was so much variation in human behavior. It became easier/more explainable to just call the crime what it was. Murder/voluntary manslaughter/reckless homicide and a few others I can't remember right now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom