VZkkRh.gif
    I'm not a lip reader, so... :dunno:

alanbarx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Madison
    Sigh, I also want to find a pot of gold and unicorns frolicking in my backyard. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to wake up and find either.

While I appreciate your sentiment, and your desire for less violence is laudable it just does not correlate with reality.

Others later in the thread have posted the statistics and commentary which more than make the case that the police collectively are not the problem. There may be bad police just as there are bad everything else, but collectively they are not a problem. In fact in most cases they are the only thing standing between a civil society and a depraved strong man driven he**hole.

The fundamental problem are human beings are complex animals. We are capable of being both prey and predator. We are uniquely capable of both good and evil.

I have lived a fairly benign life in a wonderfully peaceful community. I have however visited places which were not quite so nice. It doesn't take long to figure out you don't want to live in those kind of places.

If you do not have that level of understanding, of the depravity and evil human beings are capable of, I recommend you watch a couple of dozen videos off of the YouTube active self protection channel. There are a number there that will show both the good of police work and in fact officers who put themselves unnecessary risk to not take a shot that was needed. There are also the rare ones where the action taken by an officer was questionable, and that is called out.

The vast number of videos on that channel however portray the evil that humans can have toward other humans. The level of depravity, violence, wanton evil in murdering someone for a cell phone or a moped or in some cases for no apparent reason at all. Pay attention to just how quickly your world can go from a face stuck in a phone to laying on the ground bleeding and possibly dying.

I am eternally grateful I was born into a nation where men are free and liberty exist for all. A nation where I have opportunity not constrained by who I was born to, or where, or a title a relative may hold. Most importantly however I am thankful to live in a nation where I can defend myself. Where I can protect my family and myself from the evil that exists in this world.

While I am happy to pay my part, and support my local law enforcement in their duties, I do not delude myself to believe that anyone other than I will come to my aid should I need it immediately.

ETA: and while I appreciate your concern with what other nations do, I just don't care. The United States of America is governed by the Constitution of the United States of America which uniquely guarantees certain rights to be protected from the government and retained by the citizens. Finland Iceland and all of the European countries have a collective cultural history of serfdom wherein the common citizen functionally has no rights other than those granted to them by their government or their lords. Quite simply we don't do that here. If that is what you want the simple solution is to execute a department of State form DS-4080 and move there.
    I appreciate the articulated explanation, buddy. God bless our law enforcement agency for doing their best, God bless every citizen doing their best, God bless America.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    @jamil at this point, I will do more research on the rate of people actually killed by police yearly and the best solutions some European countries like FINLAND & ICELAND used in tackling these scenarios, maybe it can be helpful if applied here in AMERICA.

Finland is very ethnically homogeneous. Most of the population is ethnic Finnish. The earliest inhabitants of the area were hunter-gatherers, most closely related to the modern-day Sami people of Finland. There are about 4,500 Sami left in Finland who are officially recognized as a minority. The Sami people have been living north of the Arctic Circle for over 7,000 years and account for a 5% minority in the Lapland Province. Finland does not keep official statistics on ethnicity.

Just 3.5% of the population is made up of foreign citizens, which is one of the lowest rates in the European Union. Most foreign citizens are from Estonia, Russia, and Sweden. Children of foreigners born in Finland do not automatically receive Finnish citizenship unless they cannot get citizenship in another nation. The official languages used in Finland include Finnish and Swedish, with a bit of Russian and other languages in use as well.

Iceland's population is fairly young for such a developed country. The median age in Iceland is 36.5 years of age, with a total life expectancy of 83.1 years of age. Iceland is also rare in that it is one of the few European nations with a fertility rate well above the replacement rate at 2.1 children born per woman.

The ethnic composition of Iceland today is 93% Icelandic. The largest ethnic minority is Polish at 3% of the population.

Iceland and Finland are overwhelmingly caucasian and homogeneous. Do you really think their policing methods will map well onto the US melting pot or that any advantage they might have in police/citizen interactions would start out less antagonistic because of the shared heritage and cultural referents?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was just sharing how many people are shot and killed each year.

We all know that the per capita numbers are not the same.
    IIRC there are 3 shootings per 100K police encounters with black people. There are just under 4 per 100K encounters with white people. Obviously decreasing the number of encounters would decrease the number of police shootings. You probably remember we’ve talked about that statistic before. I think if we stopped the failed drug war the encounters for all races would decrease drastically.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Murdering? By the hundreds and thousands? Okay. That explains some things. If I believed that people were being murdered at that rate I’d be calling for some drastic change too. I think you need to go do some fact-checking. Find out for yourself 1) how many People are actually killed by police in an encounter, and 2) are they really murders?
    Jamil, this is "a thing"... the more liberal someone is, the more likely they are to believe in grossly exaggerated numbers.
    The CUPES survey found that “over half (53.5 percent) of those reporting ‘very liberal’ political views estimated that 1,000 or more unarmed black men were killed,” and 26.6 percent of those identifying as “liberal” believed it was “about 1,000.” Fourteen percent of those identifying as “very liberal” believed “about 10,000” unarmed black men were killed, and almost 8 percent of those identifying as “very liberal” believed that more black men were killed by police in 2019.
    In 2019, according to the Washington Post tracker instituted after Ferguson, 13 unarmed black men were shot to death by police in 2019.

ETA: fergot to credit the link:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I appreciate the articulated explanation, buddy. God bless our law enforcement agency for doing their best, God bless every citizen doing their best, God bless America.
    Or. Idunno, maybe you could adjust your understanding of the world to meet reality. I sense you think people are saying something that they’re not really saying. No one here wants to see people getting shot by police. I suspect you might even be surprised that no one wants to see black people shot by police. No one should be shot that don't need shot.

But. There are some really bad people in the world. And to protect other people from them, sometimes lethal force is the only way to do that. Me saying that should not make one think that I don't care that people get shot by police. No one is saying that had the shooting coming.

That sounds like FMJ talking down to a Christian. Not a good look
    Good thing I re-worded it then. :laugh: It was way worse the first time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Jamil, this is "a thing"... the more liberal someone is, the more likely they are to believe in grossly exaggerated numbers.

In 2019, according to the Washington Post tracker instituted after Ferguson, 13 unarmed black men were shot to death by police in 2019.

ETA: fergot to credit the link:

I've seen those poll results too. It's why I went there.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Where someone is on the political spectrum may indicate how accurate or distorted there view of the problem is... over half of those who self-identify as "very liberal" and almost 40% of those who are "liberal" think the number is 1,000 or more unarmed black men killed per year... versus the actual of either 13 by shooting or 27 by any means.

From the CUPES survey:

Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 5.38.52 PM.png

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I do not see where you are coming from. What is FMJ, maybe that will help and how did the Christianity get in there?
    I think he's talking about full metal jesus and how he sometimes talks condescendingly to Christians. That wasn't what I was going for though.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Where someone is on the political spectrum may indicate how accurate or distorted there view of the problem is... over half of those who self-identify as "very liberal" and almost 40% of those who are "liberal" think the number is 1,000 or more unarmed black men killed per year... versus the actual of either 13 by shooting or 27 by any means.

From the CUPES survey:

View attachment 129977

Illustrating yet again that progressives are simply dumb sheep.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom