Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My family came over on the Mayflower. To my knowledge, none of them even traveled south of the Mason Dixon line, so I know they never had slaves.

Somehow I doubt that factoid will help much if someone asks me to "check my privilege."

I have family that did come from SC & NC, but they were Quakers.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My family came over on the Mayflower. To my knowledge, none of them even traveled south of the Mason Dixon line, so I know they never had slaves.

Somehow I doubt that factoid will help much if someone asks me to "check my privilege."

If I remember my history correctly, some of the original colonies north of the MD line did have slaves at one point or another.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    One of my great grandfathers illegally entered the USA from Canada. He was fed up with how nice everyone was up there,

Mine too. I think Nova Scotia. But I think he was wanted in Scotland, so he was probably just trying to stay out of jail.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

So you're saying there was no slavery before the civil war on the north side of the Mason Dixon?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So you're saying there was no slavery before the civil war on the north side of the Mason Dixon?

Yeah, I didn't think that comment all the way through.

Not sure what the whole slave situation was in Connecticut back in the 1600s, but I realize that was a pretty naive statement to boil it down just to north/south. There probably were some slaves in the area at some point.

Well, it appears Wikipedia says there are confirmed reports of a slave colony coming into Connecticut as early as 1638.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/His...the importation of,An Act to Prevent Slavery".

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Seven been in this state since before it was a state. Apparently my family is all about settling and staying put. They were poor farmers. They had slaves, they were called children. That’s why most of my extended families had 8-9 brothers and sisters. To help work the family farm. Never had non family slaves though. Couldn’t afford that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

My dads people came here involuntary servitude if I have the phrase correct. Pretty much slaves.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, I didn't think that comment all the way through.

Not sure what the whole slave situation was in Connecticut back in the 1600s, but I realize that was a pretty naive statement to boil it down just to north/south. There probably were some slaves in the area at some point.

Well, it appears Wikipedia says there are confirmed reports of a slave colony coming into Connecticut as early as 1638.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/His...the importation of,An Act to Prevent Slavery".

Dangit. You edited your original post before I could quote it. :):

"Well, it appears Wikipedia says there are confirmed reports of a space colony coming into Connecticut as early as 1638."

I was gonna say...

iu

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

You do know that as much as folks like to "demonize the south", slavery was not a "southern thing" don't you?

New York had a "thriving slave trade". Slavery was also in practiced in Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island just to name a few northern states that come to mind.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Video smuggled out from the Seattle commune:

[video=youtube;ZtYU87QNjPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYU87QNjPw[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Why are there so many people without shoes? They felt the need to write it on the list twice so there must be a fair number barefooted people there.

I mean, after 5-6 days I might want a fresh pair of socks and clean Jockies, but shoes?

Let's assume someone had no time to plan at all. Just happens to be walking by and sees this group forming. Says, "I want to be a part of this" and plops down in the middle of the park. Were they not wearing any shoes at all? Did they at least have flip flops on? I'm very confused by this.

If I were to show up at something like this, I would bring at least some basic supplies. I'd likely have boots on. I imagine most everyone on INGO would prepare themselves to some degree too.

My point is that this is what we're dealing in the culture war. People pushing ideas as short-sighted and half baked as their decision to join whatever they think CHAZ represents. Point this stuff out every chance you get. Let people see how ridiculous it is. Highlight heir bad ideas, violent and destructive actions, insane demands and internal infighting.

I have faith that there are enough normal, sane people walking around that see this for what it. They understand how out of control the mayors and governors have let things get. They see that there is no leadership and no plan to stop it. They see the corporations literally bending the knee.

The last thing I want to see is the National Guard step in and force these people out. That is the worst thing Trump could do heading into the election.

The National Guard should set up a perimeter around their little camp. Anyone and everyone is free to leave and go outside the wire. But no one is allowed in. Exit only.

No food deliveries. No sanitation. No medical help. No fuel. Nothing.

This **** would be over in a week to 10 days.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom