Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    France 1789?

American Colonies 1776?

Were those revolutions brought on by the "wealthy educated classes"? Not every good or bad new government is brought into power by the wealthy and educated.

Wait - WTF does this have to do with Floyd and Chauvin?!

Boy there sure are a lot of squirrels getting chased in this thread! :ugh: Doh!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Boy there sure are a lot of squirrels getting chased in this thread! :ugh: Doh!
    R0c58e6c64aa6b2bd92eab25d38a2bb5f

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I didn't say LEOs shouldn't sit on juries. My entire argument, is that we don't craft juries based on the identity of the defendant/victim; outside of jury selection made by attorneys. A jury pool should be made up of legal citizens from that particular jurisdiction. Full stop.
    The last part of the below post sounds an awful lot like leos shouldn't sit on a jury if the cop is a defendant.
    LEOs, in most places are exempted from jury duty. But let’s say there were. Where would those LEOs come from? A LEO that somehow didn’t know about a local police action shooting, and hadn’t formed an opinion.
    Further, if a “peer,” is going to be considered someone in the same occupation, why (realistically) wouldnt that peer be more sympathetic, than they should, thinking that “hey I might face this charge too one day?”

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    LEOs, in most places are exempted from jury duty. But let’s say there were. Where would those LEOs come from? A LEO that somehow didn’t know about a local police action shooting, and hadn’t formed an opinion.
    Further, if a “peer,” is going to be considered someone in the same occupation, why (realistically) wouldnt that peer be more sympathetic, than they should, thinking that “hey I might face this charge too one day?”
    Do you seriously think anyone not just awakened from a coma didn't know anything about that shooting or had not formed an opinion? Not just willing to claim that was true, but honest to God really unaware. Objection overruled

Is this INGO story time or something?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How is that deflection? I explained it fairly well. You either don't like the answer, or can't understand it. Further, you were clear at all. Yes, I know some things, but I haven't figured out how to read minds. If you had been more upfront with your question, we might have avoided this. So, if I'm getting your question right, you want to know if it would be justifiable to exclude Black people from a jury because the defendant is a White police officer who is accused of committing a crime against a black person?
    If your standard is that someone could not be objective merely because they were employed in the same profession as the defendant, then the argument could certainly be made that someone could not be impartial because they shared the same 'lived experience'

If we're going to disregard differences from person to person in a large and varied group, one is no worse than the other

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Do you actively seek out the officers if they're not drawn from a pool? And if one of the attorney's attempt to excuse, what then?
    Same as if they attempt to excuse for being black? Not allowed, they must articulate an allowable objection

And why not retired LEO to get around the active duty exception

Top Bottom