• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well, last year I was stalked several times by a coyote while either running with my dog or riding my ATV with the dog and my daughter. It took several encounters before I realized what was going on. At one point it kept coming up behind us on the trail and I repeatedly chased it away only for it to come back. It must have followed us for 1/4 mile. That was the first coyote I had ever shot. Up until that time I was against shooting coyotes and I explicitly told the two guys who I let hunt deer on my property that they were not to shoot coyotes they might see while deer hunting. That has changed now. I've lost two cats as well, although I can't be sure it was to coyotes.
    Regarding this litter, I've seen one of the parent coyotes three times. It has a distinctive dark-tipped tail. The first time was the night before the discovery of the den. I didn't mention it in the original post, but I was in a tree stand not 15 yds from the den and called in that adult coyote. My brother missed. The second time I saw this adult coyote was two days after the den discovery. I was coming home from work and it ran across my horse barn field, less than 200 yds from my house. The third sighting occurred two mornings later around 6:15 am. I had just taken my dog out to go to the bathroom (on a leash) and as I was taking my boots off I saw through the back window this coyote cross my backyard not 45 yds from the house.

If humans were a wee bit smaller and dumber we would be on the menu.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I grew up listening to the sound of Bobwhite quail all around me, and I loved the sound of it. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever hear another one as long as I live. Gunning down defenseless fuzzies is not usually supposed to be easy for civilized people, but as someone once said, "Common sense is that faculty which tells us the Earth is flat." Emotion is even more unreliable.

1187 says he's a big boy and can make his own moral decisions, and I respect that. But the people on the other side of the issue have "showed their sack" of reason by backing up their side of the discussion with some pretty solid presentation of fact, experience, and insight here. Respectfully, I can't see where 1187 has matched that level of discourse with equally substantive and well-presented material from his own side, to persuade us with.

So I hope he doesn't plan on eating any chicken sandwiches. Because Paul McCartney says terrible things happen to make that sandwich, you know. As Jack LaLanne always said, two egg whites contain as much protein as a pound of steak, so, if it's nutritional sustenance we're talking about, you'd be better off keeping the chicken alive, and adding a rooster. The chicken in that sandwich dies at the whim of man, not because of need.

(Now if this is a "Ron Paul" thing, and we're saying the OP "interfered with the voluntary free associations of animals" by plugging those pups, well...:dunno:)

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    fps-russia-3.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Oddly but not so suprisingly....I noticed nobody yet has the sack to challenge you on your position on this thread EVEN THOUGH it is more or less the same as my position.

So for much for all this "intestinal fortitude" the last courageous clown spoke of. :rolleyes:
    I'll challenge what he said I have no problem telling him just like you that your opinions are wrong and come from lack of knowledge on this subject. Your assumption is incorrect. I already stated my point and your post was the dumbest so I addressed it and felt I made my point. But since you insist, this post is for you, wink wink

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Anyone's position can be challenged and I've been taken to task more than a few times. In this case, I think my tone was different than yours. I'm not familiar with living in rural areas and although I would not want to see a litter of pups destroyed, I've learned in this thread why such an act is necessary. Do I still hate the idea? Yeah! However, it appears that many of those posting "feel" like I do, but they have more of a grasp of the necessity.

I hope to have a nice piece of land pretty soon, but there are some very large bears in this area. For that reason, I'm not sure if coyotes are bad here, so I may not have to take the same action as the OP if I ever stumble across a litter of coyote pups.
    See rem, now que is educated on the subject and understands. He doesn't question people's moral for trying to protect their pets, kids, and other property. Maybe you can learn too

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This has been an interesting read. Folks like animals, true fact. Some like their dogs/cats more than their own kids, true fact. Seen it. Nobody with a heart really wants to shoot a puppy let alone 5 or 6 of them. Seems heartless but there is a reality to this.
    Coyotes serve a function in nature. True fact. They keep things in check.
    Problem, they have only 1 natural predator in these parts and that is us. We have to keep them in check. We are not doing a good job.
    Friends with property have regular hunts for them and they are not even making a dent in their numbers. They (Coyotes) have taken so many ground nesting birds and rabbits they are seldom if ever seen on those property's. They are having an impact on the deer numbers as well. Once they take most of the available game they look to other food sources....Fido and kitty look pretty tasty.

Not a pleasant thing to take an animal you are not going to eat. Thing is, we enjoy shooting them. They are a pain in the A$$ if you have property maintained for hunting. They are hunting and taking the game you are trying to give a habitat to.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I am the World's Biggest Animal Lover and I say Shoot Em ALL:yesway: I've lost numerous chickens, guineas, and cats to Coyotes. No Free Range here :xmad: Raccoons, Possums and Coyotes are SHOT on Sight. The neighbor lost a fenced baby goat to predators and this was all in broad daylight. I had one yesterday stalking my Guineas at about 11 AM, 75 feet from our front door. NO more Mr. Nice Guy :rolleyes:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The OP can do what he wants, he's a big boy, and it's his land. However, those of you blaming the coyotes for all the loss of game need to look at us destroying habitat as the MAIN culprit. Instead of killing off predators, I have worked on habitat and food supplies on my farm. I have more quail, rabbits, turkeys, and deer on my farm than most hunting preserves. Yet I have large packs of coyotes that feast freely on these same animals. The more habitat that we destroy, the less natural food coyotes have, and the more they move into populated areas, and the more they feast on our pets and livestock. it's all a matter of balance. Some of these posts sound like something people would have said about native Americams in the 1800's (just replace "coyote" with "native Americans" in the posts) AKA the battle of "Sand Creek"- remember "nits name lice". Just something to think about.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The OP can do what he wants, he's a big boy, and it's his land. However, those of you blaming the coyotes for all the loss of game need to look at us destroying habitat as the MAIN culprit. Instead of killing off predators, I have worked on habitat and food supplies on my farm. I have more quail, rabbits, turkeys, and deer on my farm than most hunting preserves. Yet I have large packs of coyotes that feast freely on these same animals. The more habitat that we destroy, the less natural food coyotes have, and the more they move into populated areas, and the more they feast on our pets and livestock. it's all a matter of balance. Some of these posts sound like something people would have said about native Americams in the 1800's (just replace "coyote" with "native Americans" in the posts) AKA "Sandy Hook" - remember "nits name lice". Just something to think about.

OK...those of us not destroying habitat and maintaining what we have should just stand and watch the predation reduce the animal numbers....ain't happening. Theree has been a marked reduction in game due to Coyote. Loss of pets and farm live stock.
    If you can live with them I am OK with that. Some of us can not.
    Native Americans....Really....kind of a stretch my friend.

I have a great idea. Lets trap and release up near you.....:):

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    OK...those of us not destroying habitat and maintaining what we have should just stand and watch the predation reduce the animal numbers....ain't happening. Theree has been a marked reduction in game due to Coyote. Loss of pets and farm live stock.
    If you can live with them I am OK with that. Some of us can not.
    Native Americans....Really....kind of a stretch my friend.

I have a great idea. Lets trap and release up near you.....:):

I was not COMPARING coyotes to native Americans, I simply said that some of the COMMENTS sound the same as those used in the past - "if you can live with them I am OK with that. Some of us can not"

Top Bottom