• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I dont question the killing of them at all I would have done the same....after taking a bunch of pictures of them while they are alive and cute. I have some friends with a bad coyote (and raccoon and opossum) problem, I have been told to shoot any and all that I see and I plan on doing as I am told. Our friends have had thousands of dollars in animals killed buy them and the neighbors have had the same problems.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    I will not dispute that coyote populations have expanded into new ranges over the years, but I think the public's perception of coyotes "moving in" is amplified once the coyotes start relaxing. As coyotes inhabit an area over generations they become more aware of their surroundings and the dangers therein. Coyotes often look both ways before crossing Michigan Road and know every outdoor pet food bowl up and down 106th street. These are not instinctive behaviors shared by rural coyotes, they're patterned behaviors conditioned to the individual coyote based on its surroundings. I was calling and filming urban coyotes in Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield & Broad Ripple regularly in 2007, I know ADC trappers that were catching them there many years earlier. I still flirt with a few of the old den sites in the summer and coax a few around the city limits in the fall but there doesn't seem to be any more than before. I have some pretty cool nigh vision footage of a coyote running down and swallowing a rabbit beside the storm water retention pond in front of Kroger back in August of 08. A nice 8pt buck frequented that area then too.

You're correct, and it's unbelievable their conditioning from year to year. I find it interesting and we currently have a good balance to keep them in check.
    1st year (that we noticed)- coyotes crossed property freely, ate their kill on the spot, we lost a lot of cats
    2nd year-(we added a dog) individual coyotes thought twice before crossing property, pairings/multiples still came up to the house and sometimes ganged up on our dog, found less bones of their kills on property.
    3rd year and beyond- (we added second dog) there is a "wildlife" trail/ worn path just beyond the dogs electric collar perimeter. I rarely see them enter the property and everything they kill is taken away. The cats are living much longer as well.

I once saw a coyote at dusk about to take on a skunk at the back of the property. The coyote saw the skunk getting ready to spray and knew it wasnt worth it. My inquisitive dogs caught wind of an intruder and promply got sprayed a couple times. The coyote is much better than a dog at observational learning.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thank you for doing what you did. I am soft and would have looked at the pups as dog puppies, probably thinking how I could get one home and raise as a pet, lol. You did the right thing, not that you need me to tell you that. I hope I can do the same if I come up on the same situation.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Maybe you should study Que's posting habits a little further? Never know, might learn how to play well with others?:dunno: :twocents:

I dont need to "learn". I choose not to follow others and just think for myself. I can come up with my own ideas, beliefs and my versions of right and wrong. But you are welcome to be a sheeple all you want...it is your choice....just like I am entitled to my own choices. Thank you...come again!

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My buddy has 2 grown coyotes around his place... anybody want to loan us a rifle to pick them off??? They won't get within 00 Buckshot distnace.

OP did what he needed to in order to protect his family, pets, etc.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I dont need to "learn". I choose not to follow others and just think for myself. I can come up with my own ideas, beliefs and my versions of right and wrong. But you are welcome to be a sheeple all you want...it is your choice....just like I am entitled to my own choices. Thank you...come again!

Right, like I said...
    ;)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Oddly but not so suprisingly....I noticed nobody yet has the sack to challenge you on your position on this thread EVEN THOUGH it is more or less the same as my position.

So for much for all this "intestinal fortitude" the last courageous clown spoke of. :rolleyes:

Anyone's position can be challenged and I've been taken to task more than a few times. In this case, I think my tone was different than yours. I'm not familiar with living in rural areas and although I would not want to see a litter of pups destroyed, I've learned in this thread why such an act is necessary. Do I still hate the idea? Yeah! However, it appears that many of those posting "feel" like I do, but they have more of a grasp of the necessity.

I hope to have a nice piece of land pretty soon, but there are some very large bears in this area. For that reason, I'm not sure if coyotes are bad here, so I may not have to take the same action as the OP if I ever stumble across a litter of coyote pups.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    They are very cute but I am glad you didn't shoot them. Now you can keep an eye one them untill they get big enough them shoot them to make a nice throw rug out of the fur:)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Anyone's position can be challenged and I've been taken to task more than a few times. In this case, I think my tone was different than yours. I'm not familiar with living in rural areas and although I would not want to see a litter of pups destroyed, I've learned in this thread why such an act is necessary. Do I still hate the idea? Yeah! However, it appears that many of those posting "feel" like I do, but they have more of a grasp of the necessity.

I hope to have a nice piece of land pretty soon, but there are some very large bears in this area. For that reason, I'm not sure if coyotes are bad here, so I may not have to take the same action as the OP if I ever stumble across a litter of coyote pups.
    Bears don't impact coyotes. The only thing that really does is wolves. I would feel safe in saying we have more bears and bigger bears in WI then you have in VA. We also have butt loads of wolves and plenty of coyotes. As a matter of fact today I saw the biggest coyote I have ever seen and he was dead center in wolf territory.

You will see coyotes. They are in the hills and they are in the swamps there.

not sure where you are in VA but Da Bears go right up to the airport in Norfolk! My Bro lives in Chessy.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The fact the OP even made this post shows he had a conflict between fair chase and pest control. This was not hunting and he took care of the dirty work himself. What I will or will not do in a similar situation is irrelevant. Our conversation here last year was if given the chance, would you run over a bunch of pups with your truck, in this case wolves. We all agreed no. There are lines you have to draw and each person has to do it for himself. What matters most is that you don't make excuses after the fact if you do cross those lines.

Last summer I let a critter walk and made the comment I will probably regret it. A few months later in October I did.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I do not own a large amount of land, so I have no idea what you go through as a land owner to manage your property. If deer is your primary meat source for your family, I can certainly understand, but if not, I'm a little lost. Also, if there have been incidents that cause you to fear for the safety of your family, well, that is certainly a good reason. If it was just a case of what they "might" do, then maybe you could have let them live.

Well, last year I was stalked several times by a coyote while either running with my dog or riding my ATV with the dog and my daughter. It took several encounters before I realized what was going on. At one point it kept coming up behind us on the trail and I repeatedly chased it away only for it to come back. It must have followed us for 1/4 mile. That was the first coyote I had ever shot. Up until that time I was against shooting coyotes and I explicitly told the two guys who I let hunt deer on my property that they were not to shoot coyotes they might see while deer hunting. That has changed now. I've lost two cats as well, although I can't be sure it was to coyotes.
    Regarding this litter, I've seen one of the parent coyotes three times. It has a distinctive dark-tipped tail. The first time was the night before the discovery of the den. I didn't mention it in the original post, but I was in a tree stand not 15 yds from the den and called in that adult coyote. My brother missed. The second time I saw this adult coyote was two days after the den discovery. I was coming home from work and it ran across my horse barn field, less than 200 yds from my house. The third sighting occurred two mornings later around 6:15 am. I had just taken my dog out to go to the bathroom (on a leash) and as I was taking my boots off I saw through the back window this coyote cross my backyard not 45 yds from the house.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, last year I was stalked several times by a coyote while either running with my dog or riding my ATV with the dog and my daughter. It took several encounters before I realized what was going on. At one point it kept coming up behind us on the trail and I repeatedly chased it away only for it to come back. It must have followed us for 1/4 mile. That was the first coyote I had ever shot. Up until that time I was against shooting coyotes and I explicitly told the two guys who I let hunt deer on my property that they were not to shoot coyotes they might see while deer hunting. That has changed now. I've lost two cats as well, although I can't be sure it was to coyotes.
    Regarding this litter, I've seen one of the parent coyotes three times. It has a distinctive dark-tipped tail. The first time was the night before the discovery of the den. I didn't mention it in the original post, but I was in a tree stand not 15 yds from the den and called in that adult coyote. My brother missed. The second time I saw this adult coyote was two days after the den discovery. I was coming home from work and it ran across my horse barn field, less than 200 yds from my house. The third sighting occurred two mornings later around 6:15 am. I had just taken my dog out to go to the bathroom (on a leash) and as I was taking my boots off I saw through the back window this coyote cross my backyard not 45 yds from the house.

These animals are not stupid. They are cunning and opportunistic. A cat is a meal and seen as such. A small dog the same. They have been seen here in Speedway and we saw some tracks in the snow last winter.

Top Bottom