• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    There's only ONE entrance at Glenbrook where it is posted. The main one facing Coliseum Blvd. No other door has any signs about it.

Glenbrook002.jpg

That would explain why I have never seen it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That would explain why I have never seen it.

Yep. I usually use another entrance/exit and never saw this until I had to park closer to this entrance once last year. At first I thought it was at every door and that I'd just missed it... but when I went out the way that I normally would (by habit), I noticed there wasn't one there when I turned to come back in. So just on a hunch, I took a few minutes to scout the other entrance/exits. No signs but this one.
    I took one for the team...documented my findings...and got myself a pretzel for reward. :)

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I almost always enter through Sears and I have never seen that sign. For once I'm glad the guard had no clue what he was talking about. But again, it was about 4 years ago when I was stoped and asked to cover my firearm. Maybe they didn't mind back then as long as you CC'ed.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Thats one good thing about Indiana the signs can not be enforced unless you refuse to leave then its trespassing. Ohio they are enforced signs.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    just a reminder of our small fb group
    Fort Wayne Open Carry | Facebook

Joined.

Not sure if you're the admin for it or not, but it might be a good idea to add some info about what OC is, why some people do it, its legality in Indiana, and what the ISP's and FWPD's official position is regarding it. Blue Tile Spook had a post recently about a phone conversation he had with FWPD on their position, so that might be a good resource. Also, a link to the FWPD/ISP sites wouldn't be bad.

I'd give you the links myself, but I'm just taking a quickie break from homework and there isn't time to dig it all up right now. I can come back to it and get them later, though, if you need/want help.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Joined.

Not sure if you're the admin for it or not, but it might be a good idea to add some info about what OC is, why some people do it, its legality in Indiana, and what the ISP's and FWPD's official position is regarding it. Blue Tile Spook had a post recently about a phone conversation he had with FWPD on their position, so that might be a good resource. Also, a link to the FWPD/ISP sites wouldn't be bad.

I'd give you the links myself, but I'm just taking a quickie break from homework and there isn't time to dig it all up right now. I can come back to it and get them later, though, if you need/want help.

Working on the page. Everytime I go on facebook i get distracted

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Joined.

Started an FAQ. Link to Blue Tile Spooks post?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Working on the page. Everytime I go on facebook i get distracted

I can relate, bro. I'm in this group, too:
    I was doing homework, then I ended up on Facebook | Facebook

Started an FAQ. Link to Blue Tile Spooks post?

Here it is.

Okay, I spoke with Lt. Hunter for 20-25 minutes by telephone.

He cited IC and the ISP website blurb saying that OC was legal under current law, and he gave me the obligatory speech about it possibly not being the best choice of carry for a person that wants to not have any run-ins with LEO's due to MWG calls or the extra time involved in having a firearm's serial number run and LTCH run during a traffic stop.

He stated that his department has been trained that, while there is no standing SOP, the sight of a firearm being OC'd is not justifiable cause (whatever the proper term is) for stopping someone wearing a firearm. He said to expect that if one of his officers sees someone with a firearm that you'll probably get a, "Hey, what's up?" or "Hey, whatcha' doin' today?" question from the officer. He said that this was to be viewed as a conversation between the carrier and the officer, not an interrogation or stop. If you don't answer the officer's question, no law has been broken and you can go about your merry way (pretty much).

I didn't ask, but he is somewhat aware of SilentVoice's incident. He asked me if I was calling in relation to that incident and I explained that it was tangential to my reason for calling, but not in direct response to it, and that SV was responsible for whatever he chooses to do in regards to any complaint with the FWPD.

He is aware of the recent court case posted on INGO about how it was illegal for the officer to conduct a search (not a FWPD cop for anyone that hasn't read it) based on the sight of or upon being informed of a firearm in a vehicle.

He listed a bunch of disclaimers to what he was telling me:

- MWG call from a nervous citizen
    - MWG call from a store with a patron with a gun
    - Being stopped for matching a description of a potential criminal in the area
    - "Suspicious" activity of a person (not defined in our conversation)
    - False police reports - "I think he's going to rob the store!"

I do not know how long Lt. Hunter has been with FWPD but he said that SV's incident was the first OC incident that he could put his finger on during his time on the department. In his opinion, even MWG calls are relatively rare.

From his tone of voice and his choice of words during our conversation I would say that he was being open and honest with me about what he said about the way FWPD's officers are trained. All in all, it was a good contact between a citizen and a LEO. I would expect that, between SV's incident and my calling, IA will prompt some discussions amongst the officers about OC and state law.

Working on more links for ya.

ETA -
    From the ISP website [click to open source].
    Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or exposed?
    Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom