• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "We donneed no steenking classy leaders!!".............. Donald Trump isn't exactly what I would call a classy leader either. :rolleyes:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    "We donneed no steenking classy leaders!!".............. Donald Trump isn't exactly what I would call a classy leader either. :rolleyes:

Good grief, Drail, this is the second thread in two minutes on which i have agreed with you! You must be a really smart guy!!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Very rarely do people look at their actions, and consider how it is viewed from a differing perspective. Generally Leftist take the consideration too far, and Righties often don't consider at all. Be nice if there was some balance.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Si.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I stand corrected, in so far as the number of embassies. But that's being admittedly incorrect, not revisionist history (which implies one through the passage of time, has reinterpreted events).

True. You were merely wrong on the number of embassies (legations actually, I guess), but not by much tho. However what I was actually taking issue with was the implication "it's not a real county cuz it had only one embassy." My point is how many does it need? As many as serves its purposes. It was a tough haul, but the RoT was an independent nation for 10 years. If they had discovered oil back then (and knew what to do with it) it might still be.

As to the revisionism -- there is a lot to this, but consider this for now:

- Spain first saw the Texas coast line in 1519. By 1820, they had managed to establish only three small communities in Texas. They realized they were never going to colonize it on their own and opened it to colonization by foreigners - that is, foreigners who pledged to unforeignize themselves and become Spanish citizens. And throw the Indians out. More bad guys!

- In 1821, locals living in Mexico violently threw the Spanish out and took their land for the new nation of Mexico. (I guess that makes the Mexicans technically "the bad guys.") The Mexicans realized that, like the Spanish, they were not going to colonize Texas on their own, and adopted the Spanish policy as their own. Except the foreigners had to become Mexicans, not Spaniards.

- In 1828 there were about 20,000 people in Texas, the vast majority of them Anglos. Anglos that had been invited to move there by at least three successive governments of Mexico, who had agreed to become Mexican citizens, be Christians (which meant, nominally, Catholic), and obey the laws of Mexico -- which they largely did. At least as much as the Tejanos. By 1835, there were about 30,000 people in Texas - and about 10 times as many Anglos as Tejanos.

- Prior to 1836 the one attempt by a portion of Texas to secede from Mexico had been quashed by a force largely composed Anglo militiamen -- that is Mexican citizens loyal to the Mexican government -- the Austin colony. The leader of that colony, Stephen Austin also convinced the Indians allied with the Fredonians against Mexico to drop their support of the rebels prior to the military effort.

- Note that in the 1828-1833 period Mexico proper was undergoing a series governmental convulsions between centralists, who wanted most if not all power in Mexico City, and federalists, who wanted some autonomy for the Mexican States. Further note that Antonio Lopez Santa Anna was a federalist, supported by Stephen Austin. Towns and militias (Anglo colonists) in Anhuac and elsewhere proclaimed their support for federalism, for Santa Anna, and sometimes engaged local Mexican centralist troops - in support of a federalist Mexico. So they helped one part of the government fight another part. Who is the bad guy?

- Note that federalist Santa Anna won, but after having been president for a couple years, he discovered the virtues of centralized power. He ripped up the Constitution of 1824 (which resembled the US Constitution in some ways) abolished the Congress, repealed liberalization laws, and established a military dictatorship. Can we agree he's the bad guy here?

- Note that MANY Mexican states openly rebelled against Santa Anna's power grab, including the State of Coahuila y Texas. Some groups even sought to establish independence from Mexico in the ensuing chaos. Santa Anna mobilized his army, marched throughout Mexico, and brought every rebelling Mexican state into compliance.

- Except one.
    texasflag.gif

Prior to 1836 many (but not all) in both the US and Texas had come to the conclusion that Texas would be better off as part of the US than as part of Mexico. There were attempts to buy Texas, at least east Texas, from Mexico. Many felt it obvious that the US would ultimately expand from coast to coast and Texas would be part of that whether the Mexicans liked it or not. But that is not the whole story, nor even necessarily the main part of it. The Republic of Texas did not arise in a vacuum, its formation was linked very closely to what was happening in Mexico, with how it treated its colonists, and its fascination with guys like Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna. Some 20K people came to Texas and lived under Mexican rules until they Mexico put a tyrant in place.

Oh, and one other piece of revisionist clap trap: It's not "Davey Crockett" who went to Texas, it's David Crockett. "Davey Crockett" is a TV show.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Since the Mexicans have been invading the country for years unabated perhaps this unabashed declaration of war will wake some people up!!!!!

Hey. . . .it could happen!!

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    And the Mexicans in Mexico? What happens to them? Nevermind the fact that Mexico could most likely cause a serious hit to the US Economy simply by prohibiting North American/South American trade to travel through it's borders.

Kut (thinks you need to rethink this plan)

Where in my post where you lead to believe that I plan to start a war with Mexico? I simply stated the outcome of such an imbecilic endeavor if Mexico gets too stupid. As for the Mexicans already living there, my guess is that they will slowly starve to death. **** 'em if they ever get stupid enough to go to war with the US.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Meh, I've been called (fill in the blank) gringo so many times while in mexico I can't remember. I would just consider the source and smile when I was back on the better side of the border.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    When I lived in wonderful southern California, I had a lot of interaction with folks who were there from Mexico. Certainly some great people and many of them told me they were taught in school that Texas and California belonged to Mexico. I asked them what they thought of that and they told me "Look around and tell us what you think."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A picture giving the middle finger? Vincente Fox is a real classy leader.

Is that any worse than the middle finger he hoisted while in office actively assisting his citizens in flagrantly violating our law in order to make his problem cease to be his problem and become our problem?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    When I lived in wonderful southern California, I had a lot of interaction with folks who were there from Mexico. Certainly some great people and many of them told me they were taught in school that Texas and California belonged to Mexico. I asked them what they thought of that and they told me "Look around and tell us what you think."

Ah, yes. Wonderful SoCal lol

View attachment 47285

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom