• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Remember the Alamo!!!

Or, more correctly... Remember a bunch of squatters who decided to take up arms against the nation they resided, because they didn't like the laws passed. I like the story, and have always been a fan of Davey Crockett, BUT the history is the history... we (or the Texans and volunteers) technically were the "bad" guys.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Before everyone gets their knickers twisted in an imaginary war, ex-presidents can't declare war. Fox is Trump. Saying things that get media attention.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When Fox was in office, he solved his internal problems by dumping them on us, deliberately, by actively assisting illegal immigration including that of criminals. Personally, putting him in one of those cages from the middle ages and letting him hang there until he expires seems fitting for that worthless GDMFSB.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Now, given that Fox's attitude is pretty standard by Mexican standards, my guess is that if Mexico decides to get stupid, the following will happen:

If they try to play games with remittances, they are picking a losing fight. Some of our companies which have factories in Mexico may have a problem, but then again, I doubt Trump would sit back and wring his hands, probably using such a situation as leverage to bring that manufacturing home.

If they want to play tough guy, as mentioned upthread, I would imagine Trump being most likely to leave them smoking and on their own to figure out how they are going to recover without an influx of our cash.

At the end of the day, they have no bargaining position and the only reason they get away with the sh*t they get away with is the same wrong thinking that has fueled establishment politics for decades.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Or, more correctly... Remember a bunch of squatters who decided to take up arms against the nation they resided, because they didn't like the laws passed. I like the story, and have always been a fan of Davey Crockett, BUT the history is the history... we (or the Texans and volunteers) technically were the "bad" guys.

You sir need to turn in your coonskin cap....:)

fess-parker_1599981c.jpg

To be honest Kut half of the volunteers at the Alamo were Tejanos....The folks who were living in Texas felt that Texas was too far away from Mexico City to have control over them and they wanted to govern themselves...History doesn't show it but like I said, half of the defenders of the Alamo and half of Houston's army where Tejanos as well......Before the influx of American immigrants there were already seeds of discontent among the Mexican citizens of Texas...

We just did what we always do...Fanned the flames higher and swept out the ashes in the morning...

IMHO,

Indiucky

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Now, given that Fox's attitude is pretty standard by Mexican standards, my guess is that if Mexico decides to get stupid, the following will happen:

If they try to play games with remittances, they are picking a losing fight. Some of our companies which have factories in Mexico may have a problem, but then again, I doubt Trump would sit back and wring his hands, probably using such a situation as leverage to bring that manufacturing home.

If they want to play tough guy, as mentioned upthread, I would imagine Trump being most likely to leave them smoking and on their own to figure out how they are going to recover without an influx of our cash.

At the end of the day, they have no bargaining position and the only reason they get away with the sh*t they get away with is the same wrong thinking that has fueled establishment politics for decades.

So many problems with this. The Mexico GDP (in thousands) 17.5. For the US 55.8. I would content that Mexico is a better situation to survive a trade war than we are. Their standard of living is significantly worse, so what are we going to do, make them "extra poor?" And how exactly does one stop the pipeline of cash going into Mexico via private hands? Are you willing to support such a prohibition against private citizens (because there's no way you can prove who is or isn't illegal). How many Mexican companies can we nationalize if things go bad? Now how many can American companies can they nationalize?
    NAFTA has put us in a incredibly bad position, and anyone who thinks we can shrug off Mexico and keep on trucking, is fooling themselves.

And we haven't even started talking about labor disparity which is probably the biggest reason why such lunacy would never work.

Kut (thinks this conversation, US v. Mexico, is unrealistic because it will NEVER happen)

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think we should be somewhat concerned of a threat of Mexico attacking the United States given the current state of our military (which at any given time is mainly deployed in the Middle East) Almost no attention seems to be focused on an actual attack on OUR soil. If we can't even stop millions of un armed civilians from walking across the border how good can our chances against an invading army?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

Oh, I don't know about that. Lotta Mexicans in the Alamo, Mexican Texas, and with Houston. That was primarily a Texas revolt and became their own country for a few years. Lotta people in Texas would like to be their own country again. LOL.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oh, I don't know about that. Lotta Mexicans in the Alamo, Mexican Texas, and with Houston. That was primarily a Texas revolt and became their own country for a few years. Lotta people in Texas would like to be their own country again. LOL.

And it had one embassy in the world, in London. Today it is a TexMex Restaurant (owned by a Texan) called appropriately enough, "The Texas Embassy," and the food is quite good.

PS: I think 12-15 defenders of the Alamo were Mexicans.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    And it had one embassy in the world, in London. Today it is a TexMex Restaurant (owned by a Texan) called appropriately enough, "The Texas Embassy," and the food is quite good.

Well, in all honesty, the end game was always join the states, but that didn't happen for ten years so they scrambled to build a government of sorts. I'm sure the US had very few embassies in the world the first few years. There were quite a few mex's in with Houston gathering up with him during the "retreat"...then turned around an kicked the mex army quicker than a NY lunch. LOL.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Kut (well versed in revisionist history).

Technically, we (the Texans and volunteers and numerous Mexicans) were "the winners."

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

The Republic of Texas had legations in both London and Paris, and of course, Washington D.C. Not as many as the US, but then Texas was smaller. (How many legations or embassies did other countries the size of Texas have in 1836-1845? Just enough to serve their purposes, most likely. :) ) The strategic goal of the Republic of Texas was to join the United States, not China, so its foreign policy supported that.

Most Tejanos sat out the fighting -- they were not on Santa Anna's side, but were not eager to be against him either. Those who were roginally at the Alamo were often sent out, not to return, as messengers, as the Mexicans in Santa Anna's army were less likely to shoot them. My current home is named after one of them -- Texano by birth, Mexican by citizenship, Hispanic by culture and parentage - a Tejano. Organized a company of Tejanos that covered Sam Houston's retreat to San Jacinto.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Republic of Texas had legations in both London and Paris, and of course, Washington D.C. Not as many as the US, but then Texas was smaller. (How many legations or embassies did other countries the size of Texas have in 1836-1845? Just enough to serve their purposes, most likely. :) ) The strategic goal of the Republic of Texas was to join the United States, not China, so its foreign policy supported that.

Most Tejanos sat out the fighting -- they were not on Santa Anna's side, but were not eager to be against him either. Those who were roginally at the Alamo were often sent out, not to return, as messengers, as the Mexicans in Santa Anna's army were less likely to shoot them. My current home is named after one of them -- Texano by birth, Mexican by citizenship, Hispanic by culture and parentage - a Tejano. Organized a company of Tejanos that covered Sam Houston's retreat to San Jacinto.

I stand corrected, in so far as the number of embassies. But that's being admittedly incorrect, not revisionist history (which implies one through the passage of time, has reinterpreted events).

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Speaking of an "hated gringo" is roughly equivalent to speaking of a "damned Yankee." My daddy and my grandpappy always taught me the appropriate response we "Just give'em hell, boys!!" Tell that gentleman south of the border that we really are the sons of the greatest American generation, and we still know how to take care of a Yankee, even if they are from south of the border.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom