• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I just picked up a M&P 22 from Bradis and wanted to make a quick video comparing my Form 1 can to my Huntertown can. It seemed like the Form 1 was a lot quieter but it is longer and a few ounces heavier.

[video=youtube_share;99YGStrIaXg]http://youtu.be/99YGStrIaXg[/video]​

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The more internal volume the quieter it runs... usually. It's getting easier to make a good Form 1 can. You obviously did well.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks. This one has 12 baffles and a 1/2" or so blast chamber. The blast chamber is the last spacer to make so it is fit to the final space. OAL is 8" and it weighs right under 10 ounces. The nice thing about it being specific to 22 is that I can use aluminum tube from Menards for the spacers. The total cost with stamp was about $300 to $325. The grand kids are going to love this one as much as I do already. It fits great on my new 10/22!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have a form one stamp I'm waiting for right now. Though I havent even started the first can, I'm debating on sending out a form 1 for a 22 can as well. Did you use SDTac, Preppers Discount or one one of the solvent trap places for parts, or did you source it all on your own? 300-325 with stamp is pretty decent, well done!

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I got the tube and end caps from SDT. Everything else I got locally; freeze plugs from NAPA and aluminum spacer tubing from Menards. I had JB Precision engrave the tube. Once I had the approved form 1 I used torx style sockets to form the fp's. A friend sold me a centering tool really cheaply. I've since passed it along. Overall it's a great learning experience. The nice thing is .22 is pretty easy to suppress so what you learn from them you can use on larger calibers.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I also have a Form 1 pending. I was looking at the different ways to build one but have stopped because of the time left waiting on the stamp.

Didn't want to fret over it and make the wait worse.

I put mine down as the same length as my HTA can. Maybe I should have went longer and saved it for rifles only. Yours sounds great. Thanks for the share.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Nice. If you have any questions post them. There are some others here who've built them with great success.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Got my stamp back a while ago but life keeps getting in the way of working on the can.

I am so confident that I can make something work I submitted a Form 1 for a .30 cal this morning and probably will do another 5.56 can and SBR before the 13th.

Back to the .22 can tho.... I was thinking about going with a larger diameter. I think I can comfortable fit a 1.625 tube inside the handguard on my SBR. Just not sure if the added volume will really help with .22 long rifle or not.

DonVoils how are the plugs holding out? That was another concern of mine. Easier and cheaper, but not sure they will last as long, or if that is even a concern with my set up.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    My freeze plugs are steel. No noticeable wear or problems. On July 4th one of my grand sons put over 300 rounds through one on a Ruger 22/45 Lite. Not a single problem and it was as quiet with the first as well as the last. He was shooting full power Remington rounds. I pulled it apart to clean it and it was pretty much as dirty as I expected. After some time in the ultrasonic with some simple green the baffles were super clean and ready to put back together and head back to the range.

Top Bottom