• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I too am a Bloomingtonian (kinda) and I have and do OC and CC from time to time and I find that the reaction you get is all about your own attitude.

Like Nate said a smile and a head nod, no problem. But I am willing to bet you go OC'ing around San Fransisco, Indiana with a chip on your shoulder, you might have a problem or at least a gayfrontation.

When I OC I have never had an issue around Bloomington or Bedford.

I think YOU should do whatever YOU are comfortable with!

Perfectly stated! And I got to learn a new word...gayfrontation :)::laugh:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've open carried while camping in state parks. Otherwise, I always CC.

I've run in to people packing in state parks before.

One in particular was packing a Ruger hog leg on his hip around the Spring Mill Village. Tank top, cut off shorts, typical tourist it's frigging 90 degrees dripping sweat wandering around the pioneer village with school kids and he's packing a pistol, pistol belt and looked like a 44. I thought it was hilarious, a real frontier man for sure. Problem is at the time you were not allowed firearms in the park for any reason and the wimpy managment passed off the reasponsibility, for dealing with every yahoo like people who want to bring pets where there's no pets allowed or yahoos keeping the village safe for pioneers, to the village interpreters. The interpretor told him he wasn't allowed that in the park and he starts preaching about his "second amendment rights....". Come on, these 10 dollar an hour temporary workers don't give a crap about your rights or terrorist attack. They want to sweat through the frigg'n day and go home to get in the air conditioning, not argue with people over the rules of the park that are posted all over the place. She ask him what he needs a gun in the park village for any way and he say's "snakes".

ROTFLMAO, snakes. Man if you are that afraid of snakes stay in the city!

Just take a step back and read how ridiculous some of this stuff sounds.

Way too many times in gun discussions, no matter where you are, I just get this thought of this guy and can barely keep from laughing out loud thinking "snakes". You are not allowed to shoot a snake in the park if it was crawling up your shirt any way. You can't shoot it, step on it or harrass the wild life of any kind for any reason.

Snakes?:laugh:

Come on guys. Feel free to carry if you want to but if the nanny can take a 5 year old there and I wouldn't think any thing of it, I can go there and don't feel like I need to pack any more heat than will fit in my hip pocket, at the most, and probably survive the trip.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I know some people carry in parks because of the crime's that can occur their (muggings, robbery, etc), or the off chance of running into one of the multiple meth labs/pot growing people that are known to set up shop in secluded areas.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Nate, all due respect to you sir, you may not have met some of the LEO types I have. And as you said the reaction you get is all about attitude. Attitude is usually a matter of perception. I have had weapons taken from me by the police illegally. I was able to get them returned but only after they sat in the basement of a police station thrown onto a pile of rusted guns. But it is a free country after all so anyone who wants to carry openly certainly may do so. Good luck to you.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Yes, I choose to Open Carry at times. Depends on where I'm going and what I'm up to. I often OC taking a walk around the neighborhood, or working out in the yard, or going to the range. Only occasionally to stores or such.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've run in to people packing in state parks before.

One in particular was packing a Ruger hog leg on his hip around the Spring Mill Village. Tank top, cut off shorts, typical tourist it's frigging 90 degrees dripping sweat wandering around the pioneer village with school kids and he's packing a pistol, pistol belt and looked like a 44. I thought it was hilarious, a real frontier man for sure. Problem is at the time you were not allowed firearms in the park for any reason and the wimpy managment passed off the reasponsibility, for dealing with every yahoo like people who want to bring pets where there's no pets allowed or yahoos keeping the village safe for pioneers, to the village interpreters. The interpretor told him he wasn't allowed that in the park and he starts preaching about his "second amendment rights....". Come on, these 10 dollar an hour temporary workers don't give a crap about your rights or terrorist attack. They want to sweat through the frigg'n day and go home to get in the air conditioning, not argue with people over the rules of the park that are posted all over the place. She ask him what he needs a gun in the park village for any way and he say's "snakes".

ROTFLMAO, snakes. Man if you are that afraid of snakes stay in the city!

Just take a step back and read how ridiculous some of this stuff sounds.

Way too many times in gun discussions, no matter where you are, I just get this thought of this guy and can barely keep from laughing out loud thinking "snakes". You are not allowed to shoot a snake in the park if it was crawling up your shirt any way. You can't shoot it, step on it or harrass the wild life of any kind for any reason.

Snakes?:laugh:

Come on guys. Feel free to carry if you want to but if the nanny can take a 5 year old there and I wouldn't think any thing of it, I can go there and don't feel like I need to pack any more heat than will fit in my hip pocket, at the most, and probably survive the trip.

Actually, I OC'd to protect myself from squirrels. Little bastards are evil ;)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Nate, all due respect to you sir, you may not have met some of the LEO types I have. And as you said the reaction you get is all about attitude. Attitude is usually a matter of perception. I have had weapons taken from me by the police illegally. I was able to get them returned but only after they sat in the basement of a police station thrown onto a pile of rusted guns. But it is a free country after all so anyone who wants to carry openly certainly may do so. Good luck to you.

And if they choose to do that, so be it, I'd have no problem borrowing money to hire a lawyer and sue. i hate lawsuits, but if they feel they have the right to do that, they need to learn that they do not. Thanks for the good luck, but, along with my fellow Hoosiers who have gone un-harrassed, I don't think I'll need it. If they want to stop me and ask for my LTCH, fine. They want to secure my weapon for the duration of the stop, little less fine. They want to illegally restrict my right to act within the law, then...
    ItsOn5.jpg

nobletucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I CC about 99% of the time. I don't feel the need to as some may say "show off" or exhibit my right to carry. If someone wishes to mug me, and of course not knowing that I carry, I have the option to make certain that the thief never chooses to make poor decisions again. And also I do not wish to advertise for the fact that someone may follow me home with the thought that hey that guy has guns. Unless I live next door to a police station, I have no faith in a home security alarm. Maybe I am a little too paranoid, but I am.
    I wear a shoulder holster during the cooler months, so if you want my wallet, let me reach inside my coat and get it for you... A fobus holster under a shirt when its warm, again, let me get into my back pocket for money.
    Plus my thoughts run like this. If a person wishes to commit a crime of some sort in my surroundings, he/she may see my piece as an option for his/her planned act, (if I OC), so I save it for myself rather than who knows what. If I am faced with an intoxicated person who may threaten me, yes I will show it off to prevent something from happening, more intimidation than anything, but I have 0.00 patience for drunks and alcohol.
    Thats my two cents.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    "NEVER SHOW THE TIP OF YOUR KNIFE LEST YOUR OPPONENT CAN MOUNT A DEFENSE" I would rather no one know what I have.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    As I have gotten older one thing I have learned is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I only CC.. What I find works best for me is to be anonymous. I have no wish to draw attention to my presents. I only OC in the field or if I am entering a situation that is dangerous where its likely I will have to use my weapon. And incidently those are situations I avoid intently. I have absolutly zero tollerance for idiocy or bull$#it. And I have little confidence in the sheeples abiliy for reasonable intelligent thought. CC is the right choice for me.. To each his own...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    And if they choose to do that, so be it...[/IMG]

With all due respect, Nate, they would have no idea what to do with you. I mean, an IU student who was not drunk and in public?! What, huh, umm....

They would probably have to shake their heads and move along.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    With all due respect, Nate, they would have no idea what to do with you. I mean, an IU student who was not drunk and in public?! What, huh, umm....

+1... I don't care who ya aire that's funny raight thare...

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

Haha, and on Kirkwood nonetheless :laugh:

INGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Being 24 years old, open carry is pretty much dangerous for me. I think I would draw alot of bad attention and be more trouble than its worth. However, if I were older I would carry once in awhile just to show my support for our god given right.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Carrying open pretty much guarantees you will get to have interesting interactions with the kind of cops who are your worst nightmare. Some cops are on our side but there are a large number who don't think anyone but them should be carrying a weapon. So if you like being introduced to Mr. Asphalt and Mr. Handcuffs knock yourself out. I'd rather stay in the background until the SHTF.

Do you have factual information to support your assertion (which I highlighted in red above)?

The comment is demonstratably false, including in Bloomington.

Top Bottom