• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Why are the unions worried? If being a member of the Union is soooo great and in the people's best interest, everybody will want to join!!:):

Pretty much what Abdul-Shakim Habazz said in his IndyStar article..

"I submit that the real RTW debate is about the unions' fear that if this legislation passes, members will run out the door and their decline would be hastened. Instead of unions fighting RTW, they should ask why their members would want to leave in the first place?"

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Sure lower pay and longer hours sound great, who needs benefits.

I do not work for a union however i do believe it will have a direct effect on everyone. Government needs to stay out of private buissness. Ditch Mitch, hasnt he sold us out enough.

Private business?.... That get granted certain GOVERNMENT contracts because they're Union?...... Those private businesses?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    You act as if someone should devote their whole life working their ass off to make somebody rich and that it is perfectly fine to leave them high and dry in the name of profits because they get old or slow down a bit. It is this mentality that brought about unions in the first place. A human body is only good for so long and I pray I never have to work for an individual with your views of their employees. I know the saying business has no conscience, but if they treat people like you advocate then they have no future either.

The problem is there is no right to an "easy life" in this country. Outside of health issues that are truly outside the control of an individual, there should be no reason a person today shouldn't plan on working till at least 65 years old. Unfortunately we have had generation after generation that have taken the easy way out: Limited education/skills training, the belief that someone else should always provide for them, etc..

There is a reason the UAW didn't buy up all the stock in Ford and GM. Even they saw the writing on the wall. Why invest in a construct that doesn't work, that will eventually go bankrupt? There is obviously no reason, which is why the UAW never wanted to slowly take control, via corporate board appointments and the buying of the bulk of the company stock.

I also see you use the term "rich." What is "rich" to you? Why couldn't you become "rich" like those people? What prevented you from becoming a middle man, not making entry level wages, but also not being "rich" (whatever that is)? I make $45K/year now, was making $38K-$42K over the last few years, but was able to bounce that up to close to $50K for three years, because I worked over-time and did some extra stuff which added to my hourly wage. I have supervisors that make double my wage, and their bosses who make 10x what I make. However, I did have my opportunities to work my way up to middle management, but I have made personal choices not to take those offers, at least for now. Instead, I made a choice to live a more frugal lifestyle, something that most people wouldn't dream of, because they have too much greed/desire/want to do x, y, and z. I have co-workers who worked even more than I do, and yet have nothing to show for it. Money comes in, and it goes out just as quickly. I managed to pay off a $100K mortgage in less than 10 years, others haven't even touched the principle and sometimes ponder how they will sell their home in this market since they still owe so much.

Choices, everyone has them. If one chooses to put down roots in a certain geographic area, that is their choosing. If one dumps $100/month on tobacco, ammo, booze, etc., that is their choosing. If one needs boats, jet skis, $5,000+ yearly vacations, that is their choosing. There are but a handful of reasons that most folks making a decent hourly wage of $15/hour would have a hard time making ends meet. I can only think of two: Healthcare issue that one can control or divorce through no fault of the person. Almost every other problem likely couldn't have been dealt with years back, and thus not have been an issue for the person. Instead, they spend decades not watching their spending, not getting continued education in their field, not watching their weight, keep smoking a pack a day, then they get upset when things turn south.

Top Bottom